Can I have 2 HDMI Out on at the same time & best HD base-t extender? Integra 80.3 AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Integra 80.3 in my living room. I want it to display the same picture on my TV in the living room AND the kitchen.

I have read a lot on the forums and understand that I should get a HD base-t extender and pay the extra money.

I read a lot on these forums about the Monoprice HD base-t extender? as it seems to be mentioned a lot. Is this the best brand to buy? If so there are a couple of models from Monoprice. Can't determine the difference, Can you recommend the model I should get?

If there is something better than Monoprice, could you please let me know the model and brand?

Any brands that only turn on when there is a signal? Or one that you can turn on and off via IR remote so its not on all the time?

I want to do this as inexpensively as possible to get a quality unit. On the flip side, I don't want to pay a lot for something that may be overkill as these things run from $150 to $800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post

Can't determine the difference...
There are basically two HDBaseT chipsets. There is the original HDBaseT chipset which supports full HDMI bandwidth up to 100m and etherenet. And there is HDBaseT Lite chipset which has lower bandwidth/distance performance and no ethernet capability.
Quote:
If there is something better than Monoprice...?
Almost certainly. Monoprice buys commodity products and passes them on at a good price. The chipsets used by all manufacturers are the same. But the quality of the design and manufacture of everything around them differs from product to product. Although price is no guarantee of quality, it seems to be a reasonable indicator in this case for the most part. The more expensive brands seem to have actual engineering staff for one thing.
Quote:
Any brands that only turn on when there is a signal?
HydraConnect for one.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

So basically one has ethernet and ones does not.

Is the ethernet fast enough to stream full Blu Rays that are uncompressed?

Do I need to run 2 Cat 6 cables or just one if I want ethernet? In other words, does one Cat 6 cable handle the HDMI transmission and the other handles ethernet (internet)? Or do you just run one cable and on the other end you plug in your HDMI cable AND ethernet all being fed by one Cat 6 Cable.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:

Do I need to run 2 Cat 6 cables or just one if I want ethernet? In other words, does one Cat 6 cable handle the HDMI transmission and the other handles ethernet (internet)? Or do you just run one cable and on the other end you plug in your HDMI cable AND ethernet all being fed by one Cat 6 Cable.
The HD-Base-T units which include Ethernet all operate on a single cat cable. So, you only need to run one cable.

The network speed of that connection is 10/100 so you can certainly stream BD content from an ISO file or similar across that type of network connection if you have a compatible playback device at the receiving end.

Please note, that while HD-Base-T comes as standard and 'Lite' versions, the standard version does not require that all the features be enabled.

Monoprice sells two HD-Base-T units which are 'standard', but one has Ethernet included, and the other does not.

With Ethernet:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=2

Without Ethernet:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

Otherwise, both units are the same. They both support IR repeating.

Some units have other features including RS-232 control and Bi-directional IR capability. Some can be powered over the connection so there is no local plug in required. But, the Monoprice units are some of the least expensive out there which are backed by a reputable company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

The HDBaseT chipset supports ethernet. That doesn't mean the CE product you buy will. Some do and some don't. The most significant difference for most folks is the difference in how far HDBaseT and HDBaseT Lite can transmit a signal with a given bandwidth.
Quote:
HDBaseT supports 100 Mbps ethernet. Can you stream them on a separate 100 Mbps ethernet connection?
Quote:
Do I need to run 2 Cat 6 cables or just one if I want ethernet?
Just one.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have an Integra 80.3 in my living room. I want it to display the same picture on my TV in the living room AND the kitchen.

Thanks for all the responses. Can someone please answer this question above that is still outstanding. I know you can buy a HDMI splitter, but if I dont have to, I don't want to. The reason I don't just "do it myself and try first" is because I don't have the Baluns yet and will buy everything at once. If I do not need the splitter, I rather not buy and return it.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page