3 gang faceplate since receptacle is electrical one - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with the installed receptacle.
the contractor hurried so much and installed a electrical blue receptacle which is bigger than the double gang receptacle from monoproce.

I can only find double gang faceplace with 12 holes. I can install this on top of the elctrcal blue box for the top two screws.. However there is some space left after that since electrical receptacle is bigger. I can either put a blank face place or some other solution.

Ideally 3-Gang 7.1 Surround Sound Distribution Wall Plate w/ HDMI® size is perfect for the bigger electr receptacle but in I need square holes in there for connecting the keystones.

I havent seen 3 gang faceplate with square holes for keystones.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 12
http://www.computercablestore.com/Faceplate_Flat_3_gang_12__PID42824.aspx

Or you can do a 3 gang Decora plate with 3 Decora keystone inserts. Or different inserts, your options are very flexible that way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #3 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_bama View Post

I have a problem with the installed receptacle.
the contractor hurried so much and installed a electrical blue receptacle which is bigger than the double gang receptacle from monoproce.

I can only find double gang faceplace with 12 holes. I can install this on top of the elctrcal blue box for the top two screws.. However there is some space left after that since electrical receptacle is bigger. I can either put a blank face place or some other solution.

Ideally 3-Gang 7.1 Surround Sound Distribution Wall Plate w/ HDMI® size is perfect for the bigger electr receptacle but in I need square holes in there for connecting the keystones.

I havent seen 3 gang faceplate with square holes for keystones.
Any ideas?

I assume by "blue receptacle" that you mean a blue 3 gang wall box. Something like this:

And the problem is that you want to use a 2 gang wallplate which will leave a portion of the hole into the box uncovered.

The right way to fix it is probably to cut out the existing three gang box and install an "old work" 2 gang box and patch the sheetrock as needed.

Better yet, if you specified a two gang box and the contractor installed a 3 gang box then get the contractor to come back and fix it or write a check for the cost of the repair to your satisfaction.

You may also be able to use something like these Decora keystone plates. (Be aware that sometimes one brand of keystone jack will not fit another brand of insert plate.)
If you go this route you would just need to get a standard three gang decora wall plate.

Hopefully this helps. If I've misunderstood the problem somehow please try and clarify and I'll try and help again. (or someone else will). If you familiarize yourself a bit more with the terms used to describe the items you are referring to that may help.

For instance... this is a receptacle: I've seen them in all kinds of colors, but I don't recall ever seeing a blue one. (although I don't doubt they exist somewhere.)

post #4 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Awenta and you have understood the problem correctly. Thanks for letting me know that my monoprice keystones wil not fit in the faceplate inserts such as these --
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_717WP3416W/On-Q-Decorator-Strap-White-6-Port.html
They also had a faceplate -
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_717WP1208W/On-Q-Decorator-Wall-Plate-White-Triple-gang-plate.html

But their keystones inserts are quite expensive and dont even know if they have all types that I need.

I have a bunch of monoprice keystones sitting which I would like to re-use. I am afraid of asking the contractor to change too much, It was my design of the wiring and he did not even understand the purpose (eliminating the charges for each Dish Joey when there are 6 TVs and 3 people in house) of running HDMIs throughout the basement and from living room to basement.. I just did not have enough experience and confused the faceplates with the receptacles. Ultimately I had the correct home constr double gang receptabcles from monoprice but were insufficient and he had to use his blue ones. Also he was responsible since he overused the double gang I had purchased at a spot where a single gang would suffice. I saw that after I came back from work.
I am ok with tolerating some color differences with mix and match since this is going behind the flat mounted TV.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Even home depot will have these plates. Take your keystone inserts and test fit them.

If you don't want to redo the sheet rock then try the keystone plate i sent a link to. It's only 2-3$. Or get a 3 gang Decora plate and keystone inserts. (after test fitting). Relatively inexpensive at home cheapo.

post #6 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Plus you can return anything to HD. Or Lowes if that's closer.

post #7 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

awenta

the monoprice keystone inserts are 0.5625 x 0.625 inches

The dimensions of the holes in the faceplate from computer cable store are 0.58 x 0.64 inches in their spec sheet

Do you think it fits? I see that the holes in the faceplate from monoprice are closer their keystone inserts in size
post #8 of 21 Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM

I think the inserts at home depot are the same exact size.

Take your insert and go test fit it. But I'm pretty sure it's a standardized size.

Should work.

post #9 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Awenta
I dont believe my home depot has 3 gang faceplates with 12 square holes. Cumputer cable store is the only store where I have seen them. I ordered but they are out of stock so I have to wait.

All this hassle becos my contractor installed 3 gang electr outlet box instead of 2 gang.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Another option would be install an Arlington TVBox recessed 4-gang box, which you can do by cutting out the 3-gang and making the hole slightly larger. The 4-gang box is arranged as a 2-gang and 2 single-gang plates. Which would give you a lot of options (and has the proper dividers for AC power).

http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-TVB613-1-Recessed-Outlet-Paintable/dp/B001XQA352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372348827&sr=8-1&keywords=arlington+4-gang

If this outlet will be behind your AV furniture anyway, the recessed aspect would be an advantage as the cables would have more room to bend (furniture could be closer to the wall).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #11 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Like the arlington... little expensive but looks like I can fit my monprice 2 gang on this.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10517&cs_id=1051703&p_id=6837&seq=1&format=2

The funny part is that there are some 3 gang 16 hole face plates available but their propreitary hole sizes dont fit monoprice keystones and they dont have all types of keystones I want.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Oh for goodness sake.

Get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-41644-W-QuickPort-Decora-Insert/dp/B0002V85OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372356584&sr=8-1&keywords=keystone+wall+plate+decora
or this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-40756-BW-QuickPort-Decora-Insert/dp/B0017HV4T6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1372356584&sr=8-6&keywords=keystone+wall+plate+decora

In the color/size you need.

Then get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-80414-W-Decora-plastic-adapter/dp/B000FA3A3Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372356625&sr=1-1&keywords=blank+decora

Then get a wall plate...
http://www.amazon.com/Mulberry-Princess-Decora-Opening-Switch/dp/B00CS5ST2Q/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372356646&sr=1-5&keywords=mulberry+wall+plate+three+gang

This is the proper way to deal with a 3-gang plate when you only need a two gang plate. HDMI cables notoriously are bulky and need additional room behind them.

If the contractor used blue boxes with a backing on them and there was no high voltage then he really screwed you over as it completely limits your management capability and will likely severely impact any HDMI connection behind the wall.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_bama View Post

Like the arlington... little expensive but looks like I can fit my monprice 2 gang on this.

$13 is too expensive for a solution? But as AV_Integrated said, you can solve this with inserts, too.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #14 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree with the above, however, there is one note to make. If you go with the 4 or 6 port versions above, you CANNOT use monorpice cat5/6 keystone jacks. They are too wide and won't sit next to each other (one will fit in, but you can't fit in the one next to it or any other kind of jack since the cat 5/6 jack takes up all the space behind the divider). I made this mistake and have since had to replace any keystone jacks (cat 5/6) with Leviton ones. It wasn't a huge deal, but the Leviton ones are more expensive (and probably better made).

Some it not all of the other monoprice keystone jacks should work (non cat 5/6), but don't quote me on that. I know the banana connectors, HDMI, and RCA ones work as I've used all three successfully in the 6port versions of the leviton decora faceplates.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Meili View Post

I agree with the above, however, there is one note to make. If you go with the 4 or 6 port versions above, you CANNOT use monorpice cat5/6 keystone jacks. They are too wide and won't sit next to each other (one will fit in, but you can't fit in the one next to it or any other kind of jack since the cat 5/6 jack takes up all the space behind the divider). I made this mistake and have since had to replace any keystone jacks (cat 5/6) with Leviton ones. It wasn't a huge deal, but the Leviton ones are more expensive (and probably better made).

Some it not all of the other monoprice keystone jacks should work (non cat 5/6), but don't quote me on that. I know the banana connectors, HDMI, and RCA ones work as I've used all three successfully in the 6port versions of the leviton decora faceplates.
I had the same thing happen to me.

But! Check this out...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&cs_id=1051308&p_id=10042&seq=1&format=2

Yup, they heard us crying after we thought we could fit two side by side, and now they have slim ones which do exactly that.

Go figure. smile.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

wow you guys are great. wish I had asked you all earlier.

I have the following connections - 2 HDMI, 3 component, 2 audio, 1 toslink, 1 cat6,

If the monoprice inserts would work on decora inserts that is a good option. Best option is Awenta'shttp://www.computercablestore.com/Faceplate_Flat_3_gang_12__PID42824.aspx

I checked all local stores BB, frys, Homedeptm menards and lowes..... none of them have any real collection of wall plates and people always say go to local home depot.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Best option given by Awenta'shttp://www.computercablestore.com/Faceplate_Flat_3_gang_12__PID42824.aspx
worked. Monoprice keystones fit in there.

I found another supplier for the same faceplates. The faceplates are manufactured by ICC and they are the only manufacturer of these kind of 3 gang faceplates.

The only issue I had was that computercablestore was out of stock and I had to wait over 2 weeks to get it.

I learned lot of lessons during this project.-- the major one is to avoid using faceplates and keystones... its harder to get all thick cables inside and the bulge causes faceplate to pop out. Better to do powerbridge kind of solution and connect the long wires directly into equipment.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Oh for goodness sake.

Get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-41644-W-QuickPort-Decora-Insert/dp/B0002V85OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372356584&sr=8-1&keywords=keystone+wall+plate+decora
or this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-40756-BW-QuickPort-Decora-Insert/dp/B0017HV4T6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1372356584&sr=8-6&keywords=keystone+wall+plate+decora

In the color/size you need.

Then get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-80414-W-Decora-plastic-adapter/dp/B000FA3A3Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372356625&sr=1-1&keywords=blank+decora

Then get a wall plate...
http://www.amazon.com/Mulberry-Princess-Decora-Opening-Switch/dp/B00CS5ST2Q/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372356646&sr=1-5&keywords=mulberry+wall+plate+three+gang

This is the proper way to deal with a 3-gang plate when you only need a two gang plate. HDMI cables notoriously are bulky and need additional room behind them.

If the contractor used blue boxes with a backing on them and there was no high voltage then he really screwed you over as it completely limits your management capability and will likely severely impact any HDMI connection behind the wall.
u were abs right ... management of the bulky hdmi cable is a nightmare with the electrical box receptacle. Started putting pressure on the faceplate and they are bulging now. I even had problem with the speaker cable 7.2 faceplace from monoprice even though the speaker cables were thinner ... reason the electrical box.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM

I know this is late, but my tapatalk wasn't working.

Cut out the back of the box. Low voltage doesn't need to be enclosed.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Another option would be install an Arlington TVBox recessed 4-gang box, which you can do by cutting out the 3-gang and making the hole slightly larger. The 4-gang box is arranged as a 2-gang and 2 single-gang plates. Which would give you a lot of options (and has the proper dividers for AC power).

http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-TVB613-1-Recessed-Outlet-Paintable/dp/B001XQA352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372348827&sr=8-1&keywords=arlington+4-gang

If this outlet will be behind your AV furniture anyway, the recessed aspect would be an advantage as the cables would have more room to bend (furniture could be closer to the wall).

Jeff
I have 2 of those and love them. Try TS Electronics, I think they will have some stuff you need.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #21 of 21 Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
The Arlington boxes are easy to install...here's a two gang one I put in a built in bookcase. Originally there I put a small TV there, but it has since been replaced w/ a Sony Airplay speaker.

I have usually found all the keystone inserts & decora face plates I need on amazon & eBay.

u7agaven.jpg
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page