New home - Need help with whole home AV solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I am in the process of building a new home and am having it wired for AV as we speak. I will have multiple zones (will list them in a moment) and am hoping you guys can help with some input on putting together a DIY system on a budget. I work in IT and have worked in and around AV for years so i'm not a complete noob.

Goal:
A budget whole home AV solution
6 zones including outdoor zone
Home Theater control
User selective inputs for each zone
Possibly iPad/iPhone control
Centralized in the basement media closet

Current Zone setup:

Living Room
-Wall mount TV
-Cable Box (would like all cable boxes in the media closet in the basement)
-2 Speaker in ceiling

Kitchen
-2 In ceiling speakers

Office
-2 In ceiling speakers

Master En-suite
-2 In ceiling speakers

Outdoor Patio
-2 On Wall speakers

Home Theater
-7.1 Surround in-ceiling and in wall speakers
-Wall mount TV
-Cable Box
-Misc game consoles

The whole house is being wired with CAT6 pairs to control panel locations for the individual zones. As well as CAT6 to the TV locations and all other data drops.

I am looking to put together a system that will give me the greatest flexibility for audio and video distribution. I'd like to be able to control from either the wall mounted control pads or ipad/iphone

My current set up is not distributed, so about the only ting that may be usable is the Denon AVR2112ci receiver and my 65" TV

I know there is no one "be all end all" solution, but I am hoping to put something together that is user serviceable and that I can purchase off e-bay or similar so I can get the greatest value.

Any thoughts or opinions?

TIA!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer_man View Post

Goal:
A budget whole home AV solution
6 zones including outdoor zone
Home Theater control
User selective inputs for each zone
Possibly iPad/iPhone control
Centralized in the basement media closet

"Budget" will mean a separate WHA system from any video distribution. Figure out what your audio sources will be and how you'll control them, which will lead you to the right system(s). And you need to figure out what your video distribution goal(s) are - centralized for aesthetics, or multiple sources selection from each room?

Any 5.1/7.1 zones should be thought of as independent systems, though they can share sources with a distribution system. But issues will arise when trying to get surround sound from sources involved with distributed video (see HDMI common denominator issue).
Quote:
The whole house is being wired with CAT6 pairs to control panel locations for the individual zones. As well as CAT6 to the TV locations and all other data drops.

You only need one cat6 to each keypad location, but should run multiple cables to each display location.
Quote:
I am looking to put together a system that will give me the greatest flexibility for audio and video distribution. I'd like to be able to control from either the wall mounted control pads or ipad/iphone

TV source selection and control is usually handled via remote controls, not keypads, but those will very likely be different systems, anyway.
Quote:
I know there is no one "be all end all" solution, but I am hoping to put something together that is user serviceable and that I can purchase off e-bay or similar so I can get the greatest value.

The better equipment is not offered via eBay (or will lack warranty support from the manufacturer). There are a few vendors that sell direct - see HTD.com for a good value... Others will offer from a limited set of Internet sellers - you may get a better deal than MSRP if you work with a local dealer on these.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+1to separate WHA and video systems. For only two video zones, I would consider a decentralized approach. Most sat/cable providers now offer server /client type systems, such as Directv genie or Dish hopper/Joey. The clients have a very small footprint.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page