Will this work for my bedroom TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think I have the solution for this but I want to double check before I go out and purchase all of these items.

l currently have a single cat5e cable ran to all of the second floor to a central location in my basement next to all of my home theatre equipment. I am looking at putting a TV in the bedroom on the second floor. Instead of getting another Directv box I figured that I could just run the bedroom TV off of my denon 3313 that is in the basement. I know that I will have limitations from the Denon depending on which output I use. My guess is the run is about 100 feet or more so I have done some searching on here and I think HDbase-T is my solution.

My questions are this. Will the HDbase-T work with my Denon receiver? Also I know that this technology is still taking off but are the Monoprice HDMI extenders even HDbase-t or not? Also I have seen mixed reviews on them and I am not sure if I should look at the Altona or something else.

Thanks for the help in advance and let me know if I am over thinking this or if this is my best bet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post

I think I have the solution for this but I want to double check before I go out and purchase all of these items.

l currently have a single cat5e cable ran to all of the second floor to a central location in my basement next to all of my home theatre equipment. I am looking at putting a TV in the bedroom on the second floor. Instead of getting another Directv box I figured that I could just run the bedroom TV off of my denon 3313 that is in the basement. I know that I will have limitations from the Denon depending on which output I use. My guess is the run is about 100 feet or more so I have done some searching on here and I think HDbase-T is my solution.

My questions are this. Will the HDbase-T work with my Denon receiver? Also I know that this technology is still taking off but are the Monoprice HDMI extenders even HDbase-t or not? Also I have seen mixed reviews on them and I am not sure if I should look at the Altona or something else.

Thanks for the help in advance and let me know if I am over thinking this or if this is my best bet

The only thing I wonder about is how to control it all. Can an IF repeater be used for that? Also a HDMI splitter would keep the AVR out of the signal chain, Monoprice has some and I use what the call pro for around 50 bucks.

I wonder if it may not be a good time to upgrade to a Genie, having a pro install the RG6, and I do not mean the DirecTV guy. It just needs one cable pull, and one DirecTV 1X2 green label splitter, plus the Genie and the client. DirecTV has a great deal on that upgrade, if you have been with them for a few years and have what they call the protection plan, free with a new 2 year contract. I just went through that and the HR 44 is easily the best DVR that they have had.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
The Monoprice HDBaseT extenders both have IR repeating, so you're good for control there. And it's only those two specific Monoprice products that are HDBaseT. You can identify them easily by the max supported wire length of 328' (100m).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

The upgrade to the Genie is also very much worth considering.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Octava HDMI Extender over single CAT will work in your setup . It will run over 200ft on the CAT5e and has the IR feature.
I know the Octava has been around for a while and one of the nice things is that the IR( for the IR remote) works from 20-60KHz and works with Comcast, Dish and Directv . Some of the extenders only work at 38KHz so won't play with some of the settop receivers.
Also it uses PoE so you don't need to power the receiver unit.

Since you are going to control the Denon and the Directv, remotely, you can ask Octava to send you a 4 head IR emitter cable. I know they have it, so just ask.
That way, you can point 1 emitter to control the Denon and 1 emitter to control the Directy. THen you have 2 extra emitters if you have other sources connected to the Denon.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I should have mentioned that I am controlling everything via irule over ip and my wireless network. The TV will be the only limitation but I will just keep that remote in the bedroom.

I just signed up with DirecTV and I am unable to go with the genie and a big expense. I also do have RG6 currently ran to just under where the TV will be placed as well. I will look in to the Monoprice options as I know they will most likely be the best coste effective option. Thanks for the help

Will I see any problems with the Denon in between the HDbaseT device? Thanks
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page