AV Distribution and Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys this is my first post in the forum although i am reading it long time smile.gif

I am thinking of how to set up my video distribution in my apartment. I have 4 zones ( Living room, Bedroom 1&2, and the balcony) .
My video sources are Apple mac mini as media server , PS3 , DVD Player , TV BOX.

I have two choices for the distribution if i will go with all the video sources to be distributed in all rooms ( bigger cost) and the other one which is the one i think i will go for it is to have in all the zones the TV BOX and Mac Mini distributed and the other sources ( DVD Player and PS3) to be local connected to an A/V receiver in the Living room.

My question is regarding the second solution in terms of controlling. I would like to control all the system from an iPad.
i will use a video matrix and the question is how i can control the A/V receiver from the iPad?
The video matrix i will use can be controlled from a web browser so the matrix is ok from the iPad, but the A/V receiver can it be connected to the matrix and therefore to be controlled from the matrix's web browser interface? and if not what do i have to use to be able to control both ( matrix and a/v receiver)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandros31 View Post

I have two choices for the distribution if i will go with all the video sources to be distributed in all rooms ( bigger cost) and the other one which is the one i think i will go for it is to have in all the zones the TV BOX and Mac Mini distributed and the other sources ( DVD Player and PS3) to be local connected to an A/V receiver in the Living room.

Distributing two HDMI sources is going to be a very similar cost (total) to four sources. Distributing one source would be cheaper than two or four... 4x4 matrix products are common.
Quote:
My question is regarding the second solution in terms of controlling. I would like to control all the system from an iPad.
i will use a video matrix and the question is how i can control the A/V receiver from the iPad?
The video matrix i will use can be controlled from a web browser so the matrix is ok from the iPad, but the A/V receiver can it be connected to the matrix and therefore to be controlled from the matrix's web browser interface? and if not what do i have to use to be able to control both ( matrix and a/v receiver)

Many new AVRs have Ethernet support and IP-based control, with mobile app directly from the manufacturer. Onkyo, Denon, etc. have "apps for that"... Controlling the other sources would be more of an issue (PS3 and most DVD/BD players). You'd need a remote control app like Roomie, iRule or the new Harmony app, and an IP-to-IR gateway device from Global Cache (iTach) or the Harmony base station (I forget what it's called). Lots of details on this topic one forum up from here in the "Remote Controls" forum...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply,
post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 PM

Liked: 26
Denon 4520 could distribute video via hdmi to 2 zones and component to 2 zones as well as audio to all 4 zones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #5 of 13 Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

If i centralize all the video sources to the matrix one output will be the AVR for surround sound support, this means that the switch of the AVR is disabled and for switching sources the matrix will be used correct ?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If i centralize all the video sources to the matrix one output will be the AVR for surround sound support, this means that the switch of the AVR is disabled and for switching sources the matrix will be used correct ?

Correct, but note that including an AVR in one zone (and not all zones) will be problematic with HDMI matrix setups, as you'll most likely be receiving only 2-channel stereo PCM audio from the attached sources. This is due to the common denominator reported via EDID to the source devices. For most sources, this can be worked around by running digital audio cables from all the sources to the AVR (assuming it's all together) and keeping the AVR out of the HDMI path. The limitation shows up mostly for BD players, since the advanced audio codec (DTS MA) can't be passed over toslink / SPDIF cables. Best route is to dedicate a BD player to any AVR/surround source to avoid this.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #7 of 13 Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

If i centralize all the sources that i want the surround support first to the AVR and then to matrix this will be working ? And for the sound decoding matrix shall be digital ( HDMI) or analog can work ?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-29-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If i centralize all the sources that i want the surround support first to the AVR and then to matrix this will be working ?

That would defeat the purpose of having the matrix to begin with, as you'd only have one source (switched by the AVR) available to all displays. And still wouldn't fix the issue as the other displays (without the AVR attached) would likely get zero audio...
Quote:
And for the sound decoding matrix shall be digital ( HDMI) or analog can work ?

Bitstream = digital. Gotta have a digital cable for DD5.1 and DTS. You could get the analog Dolby ProLogic, but I'm not even sure if that support still exists... You wouldn't be happy with the results regardless.

Jeff

post #9 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Best route is to dedicate a BD player to any AVR/surround source to avoid this.

Jeff

So for this is ok to have all the sources into the matrix except BD player which will be direclty local source to the AVR?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So for this is ok to have all the sources into the matrix except BD player which will be direclty local source to the AVR?

That will be better. You'll likely be limited to stereo audio (not surround) on the other sources. But the BD player is probably the critical one.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Just a question about Video Matrix, what is the difference of a video matrix from an AVR receiver with multi zone built-in?
If life is simplest wtih an AVR what is the reason to use a Video matrix or am i missing something here?
post #12 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a question about Video Matrix, what is the difference of a video matrix from an AVR receiver with multi zone built-in?
If life is simplest wtih an AVR what is the reason to use a Video matrix or am i missing something here?

A few AVRs have added a 2-zone matrix switch, but those are very new models. In general, they serve very different purposes. An AVR with multizone support may be a solution for a 2nd zone, but not for 4+ video zones.

With HDMI, audio (surround) support would be a concern regardless, since its the source(s) that decide which output to produce.

Jeff

post #13 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Correct, but note that including an AVR in one zone (and not all zones) will be problematic with HDMI matrix setups, as you'll most likely be receiving only 2-channel stereo PCM audio from the attached sources. This is due to the common denominator reported via EDID to the source devices. For most sources, this can be worked around by running digital audio cables from all the sources to the AVR (assuming it's all together) and keeping the AVR out of the HDMI path. The limitation shows up mostly for BD players, since the advanced audio codec (DTS MA) can't be passed over toslink / SPDIF cables. Best route is to dedicate a BD player to any AVR/surround source to avoid this.

Jeff

Another option that was implied but not discussed is to use inexpensive AVR's in each zone. You can get them with all of the new decoding options for about $200. There is an advantage to having a BD player in each zone because you don't have to run back to the head end every time you want to load a disk. The advantage to having the AVR in each zone is that the matrix will see that the lowest common denominator is HD audio. In my case, I have a blu-ray changer that I want to distribute, so the 300+ movies will be available in each room. It makes more sense to have multiple AVR's in my case. Then I can also share 2-3 HD DVR boxes on all of my TV's.
jautor likes this.

AI Limited
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page