VGA and 3.5 mm -> HDMI via adapter. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi. I have a computer with only VGA video out and a 3.5 mm audio jack. I'm wanting to hook it up to my avr rather than direct to the tv (for reasons of input compatibility with the avr) so I'll be converting to HDMI. I found an adapter that couples the VGA and 3.5 mm signals into HDMI, so i know it'll work. I'm wondering what problems might I face? Do the original VGA and 3.5 mm paths limit what kinds of / how much data the HDMI would transfer? I know the adapter up-scales the video signal but I'm worried if i'll still be limited in any way by the VGA and 3.5 mm. I'll appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
You'd be better off spending that money on a video card for your PC that has HDMI output...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You'd be better off spending that money on a video card for your PC that has HDMI output...

I understand that, for reasons of simplicity. But it doesn't entirely answer my question. I still want to know if I can get away with using an adapter. Will the VGA limit the capability of the HDMI? If so, I'll likely get a video card. Any suggestions for non-intensive, non-gaming use? Just a simple low-cost GPU is suitable I think.

Also, I've never installed a video card before. Is it a simple installation? Am i going to run into issues with routing audio through the gpu? If so, will it be easy to solve?

Would even this be overkill? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366997,00.asp
post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbacca1 View Post

I understand that, for reasons of simplicity. But it doesn't entirely answer my question. I still want to know if I can get away with using an adapter. Will the VGA limit the capability of the HDMI?

If you want HD out of your PC, the VGA converters may have issues, and you'll be limited to stereo audio (not surround sound) in any of those cases.
Quote:
If so, I'll likely get a video card. Any suggestions for non-intensive, non-gaming use? Just a simple low-cost GPU is suitable I think.

No suggestions off the top of my head, but yes, one with HDMI, 1080p and the HDMI audio support would be fine -they should be relatively cheap. Do some reading in the Home Theater PC forum here - better asked to that crowd anyway...
Quote:
Also, I've never installed a video card before. Is it a simple installation? Am i going to run into issues with routing audio through the gpu? If so, will it be easy to solve?

It can be a bit of a hassle to install - the hardware is easy, but getting the drivers and audio set up can the tough part.

Jeff
jewbacca1 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I posted in the HTPC forum. Let's see if i can get them to drop some knowledge on me. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbacca1 View Post

I found an adapter that couples the VGA and 3.5 mm signals into HDMI, so i know it'll work.
What adapter?

Some adapters are just BS cables - they don't work at all.

If you have an actual VGA to HDMI converter, then that should work fine, but may only work for certain resolutions on your TV and/or A/V receiver. Most of these products are designed for home video, so any use of a PC may cause some headaches which will need to be overcome.

I believe I got a cheap (sub $50) HDMI card for my desktop computer and it installed rather easily and works great. I checked the reviews at Newegg.com and just checked their reviews and I'm very satisfied.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I actually did the same thing. Decided the adapter was more of a hastle. I got the asus radeon hd 6450 1gb for 50 bucks including shipping. I figure my old pc deserves an upgrade after all this time anyway.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page