AVR as a Russound Source? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

First I would like to thank all of the extremely knowledgeable people on this forum that take their time to help the rest of us out.

Background:
Built my own house about 7 years ago and had it pre-wired for WHA. Unfortunately, when the economy tanked I couldn't afford all of the gear so Ive been left with a bunch of holes in the ceiling and a big mess of wires and cables. We did have the audio guy put the surround in the family room and then add speakers in the kitchen and dining room using zone 2 from the AVR. A couple of weeks ago, in preparation for a party, my wife had him back out to see about speakers on the deck. About 10 minutes after I got home the AVR went into protect mode and shut down. Im not exactly sure what he did, but I am guessing he was putting to much stress on the amp trying to run 3 sets of speakers off of that zone. Anyway, that was the final straw for me. I decided to get the controller and keypads I needed, install it, hook it up to the stuff I currently have, then add speakers, sources, etc. as I can afford them.

I spent a whole bunch of hours in a short period of time reading this forum. I have to be honest in that when I initially started reading about WHA I thought I had a decent enough handle on the relatively basic type of system I wanted. However, I think I read too much and overloaded myself. The more I read, the more confused I got and overloaded myself with some of the really cool stuff some guys are doing.

Anyway, I decided on the Russound system based on price and functionality. I was pissed at my audio guy from the zone 2 issue above, so I didnt even bother calling him to get it for me. When I was learning about the system I happened upon an internet site, called the guy, who was extremely helpful, and placed my order for the MCA-C5 and DMS 3.1. It wasnt until after ordering that I saw the thread regarding licensed dealers, warranties, etc. To the pros out there who get pissed about that kind of thing, I get it. Im not sure I wouldnt have done it anyway considering the price savings buy I do get your frustration.

Current:
The system arrived fed ex yesterday. I was excited to get it but concerned about whether or not I was going to be able to get it up and running. Like I said earlier, i have filled my little brain with so much other info from this site I couldnt remember some basic things. Anyway, it took my all day but I got it working for the most par. They dont exactly run you right down the steps like comsumer oriented goods. Funny, but the parts that took me a long time were kind of silly: Getting the right driver installed to connect to the thing. (realized hours later I could just do it over the network). Couldnt figure out why I wasnt able to stream my ipod from the dms3. (have to do it over airplay if you dont have the dock). I wasted 2 hours on that one embarrassed to say.

The question I still have is about using my AVR as a source in the system. My house is very open and I would like to use the front speakers that are connected to the AVR in conjunction with the rooms I added through the Russound, especially when having a party. I am assuming that I just hook up to the zone 2 pre out on the AVR and run it to the controller. When I was setting up the controller I looked at adding the Marantz AVR as a source but it wanted some kind of code that I was not able to find in the Marantz literature.

Questions:
1. Am I correct that this will work, hooking the pre out off of the AVR to a source input on the controller?
2. Do I need that code, and what does it do?
3. Can I run the trigger to power the AVR up when the controller calls for that zone?
4. If I do this, will I then be stuck using both remotes? I would imagine that since the speakers connected to the AVR do not go through the controller I am going to have to.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me with this, and thanks to everyone for all of the great info on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post

1. Am I correct that this will work, hooking the pre out off of the AVR to a source input on the controller?

Yes, have the zone2 pre-amp outputs set to "fixed" if possible so you don't have two volume controls in the setup.
Quote:
2. Do I need that code, and what does it do?

That should be the remote control codes for the Marantz AVR, so that the Russound keypads would issue the IR commands that the AVR could recognize.
Quote:
3. Can I run the trigger to power the AVR up when the controller calls for that zone?

If the Marantz has a trigger input that can be used to turn on/off zone2, yes, but I suspect you'll be using IR to do that...
Quote:
4. If I do this, will I then be stuck using both remotes? I would imagine that since the speakers connected to the AVR do not go through the controller I am going to have to.

A universal remote could control everything - but with the factory remote you'll have to at least go to the Russound remote/keypad to control volume in those zones.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff, but for some reason I still cant get it to work. It seems like it should be pretty simple. I have verified the cables are correct on both units, verified with marantz that I dont need to set anything up on the receiver, and rebooted the Russound multiple times. The controllers recognize the new source but nothing comes through.

Any ideas?
post #4 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it looks like marantz needs to do a bit more training with their customer service reps.

I had to change a speaker setting to get anything out of the pre outs.

It's all working great now.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page