Coax/RG6 Distribution - Cable, Cable Internet and OTA inputs and Multiple Outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll apologize in advance for the dumb question, which I think probably has a straightforward solution, but one which eludes me as I'm not super-familiar with how to distribute AV signals.

Anyway, I plan to have two inputs coming into my house through coax cable - one from the local cable provider and one from a roof-mounted antenna. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the cable provider provides digital cable only and that line will also be used for internet access. I'm hoping to be able to use the roof mounted antenna for both analog and digital signals.

There will only be one location where the cable modem will be connected. There will be about 12 locations throughout the house with coax outlets and TVs of various sizes and shapes. Unlikely that more than 3 will be used at any given time.

Anyway, what I'd like to try and figure out is whether or not there is an easy way to enable each location to access either the OTA antenna signal or the cable signal (presumably using the cable provider's set top box at each location in the house where desired). I've not done this before and am not quite sure how this can be done, assuming it is even possible. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid running a second coax line to each location (i.e. one for OTA, one for cable).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
First, there's really no more analog TV broadcasts (assuming you're in the US - hint: put your location in your user profile).

Your cableco should be providing the OTA channels, and they (at least used to be, IIRC) were required to provide them in the clear (not encrypted), so your TV could decode them without a cable box.

Most cableco's have filled up the bandwidth, so if you really want to have both available, you'll need a second coax. But if you have cableco's signal to a room, you should have the OTA channels anyway. You may need a set-top box in each room, but if you're trying to avoid those fees, you'll probably just want OTA in that room anyway. Meaning - I'm not sure what both gets you - unless you're interested in some OTA sub-channel that's not being carried?

If you tell us your location and your cable provider, we can probably give some more specific details for your situation...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Jeff thanks very much for the very helpful advice. I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada (Toronto to be exact) and the cable carrier would be Rogers.

I think you've answered my question - sounds like it's not really possible. Oh well. I suppose I wouldn't be using both at the same time anyway, so can manually switch if I decide I prefer cable over what I can grab from the Antenna.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Many things are possible.

There are pretty much 2 routes you could go. 1 would be to have 2 completely separate distribution systems running throughout your house -- 1 for OTA and one for CATV. There would be 2 cables going to each outlet with an A/B switch at each outlet to select between cable and OTA.

The other scenario would take up a bit of wall-space. That would have each service (OTA and CATV) going into their own standard drop amp. The output of the amp would go into a 12-way splitter, which would then go into one side of each of (12) A/B switches. OTA would go into the "A" side while CATV would go into the "B" side. The out of the switch would then go to the outlet. The switch that feeds any given outlet would then need to be flipped accordingly.

Either way there would need to be drop amp and 12-way splitter for each service, so really which route to go would depend on whether there is somewhere to build a bank of switches and/or how much crawling around you wanted to do.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I would do the extra work and run a second coax. I get channels OTA not provided by Dish and also use it for my FM radio.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions Ed and Skytrooper - most appreciated. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to pursue either given the cost and complexity. What I will probably end up doing is to have the cable connection run only to the cable modem and the antenna to a powered 12 way splitter. To the extent the antenna doesn't work out, will probably just put another splitter on the cable connection, disconnect the antenna and use only cable throughout the house. Not optimal but probably good enough.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page