Hdmi + furnace room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running 2x, 22awg cl2 hdmi's though a furnace room ceiling and I was wondering what kind of spacing I should keep with the air ducts/power/phone etc that is in there? None of the ac lines are in conduits either. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM
DGF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but in the absence of any other replies, here's a few miscellaneous thoughts: IIRC there should be a minimum of 18" separation between power lines and analog cables (like speaker wires) + for high-speed network cables you need to be >12" from mains wiring. What I'm unsure about is that as the HDMI is digital. does this make a difference? - I guess that interference could/would manifest itself as sparkles and/or maybe loss of sync. I'd try to attain maximum separation from power lines and try to avoid parallel runs if the gap gets tight - if you do need to cross over a 110v cable, do it at right angles.

The telephone wiring isn't really a problem - it's typically a spikey signal but is at a low voltage. Proximity to the air ducting isn't a concern at all.

Dave
post #3 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Generally speaking, that is correct. Just try to keep all the low voltage wires a foot or so from the high voltage. Nothing else should present itself as an issue. Duct work is also a non issue from all I have heard. The low voltage wires generally do not need any separation from each other, so HDMI, cat-6/5, phone, etc. can all be run side by side without issue.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page