Utilizing "future" cat5e drops in new home for Ethernet and home network - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've read the standards and T568A is the preferred for all applications. T568B is allowed if deemed necessary for certain applications.

And to repeat, your statements suggest the you are making some sort of connection between the standards -A, -B, -C and the wiring schemes T568A/T568B.

To continue to suggest the folks should follow an out of date and non-preferred (and soon to be deprecated) practice just because it's been done that way for a long time is not a very convincing argument.

I was taught a lot of things in school that are no longer taught for many reasons. Lots of "facts" were passed out in school that we now know are wrong. Even today our knowledge in many, many fields is constantly being updated.

And to suggest the T568B is more suited for phone use really defies common sense.

And I was installing Ethernet using thick and thin a long time ago.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

And to suggest the T568B is more suited for phone use really defies common sense.
I would say so. It isn't any more or less suitable for the purpose than T568A as far as i am concerned. Neither was intended for POTS and neither makes sense to me considering the way POTS lines are normally terminated, although T568A at least has the second pair in the same place as Ma Bell expects it for a RJ14.
Quote:
And I was installing Ethernet using thick and thin a long time ago.
Me, too, and everything in between that and the current versions.
post #33 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 83
This thread was supposed to help the OP connect his LAN. A or B will work. B will not work for a person paying for 2 phone lines and plugs in a 4 pin cord in a 8 pin jack. A 6 pin Keystone should have been used to cut down on the confusion. I have phone and LAN Keystones on my wallplates. Once the wife said the phones were out. She had plugged the phone into the LAN Keystone.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #34 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Me, too, and everything in between that and the current versions.

Somebody else who remembers thick and thin? I don't feel quite so old anymore wink.gif

Don't suppose you ever did any ARCNET?

post #35 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

This thread was supposed to help the OP connect his LAN. A or B will work. B will not work for a person paying for 2 phone lines and plugs in a 4 pin cord in a 8 pin jack. A 6 pin Keystone should have been used to cut down on the confusion. I have phone and LAN Keystones on my wallplates. Once the wife said the phones were out. She had plugged the phone into the LAN Keystone.

It must just be that way of things but when doing installs everything gets labeled without issue but in MY home? Haven't gotten around to it yet. Go figure. rolleyes.gif

In regards to the OP he needs to stick with T568A for his wall jacks since the Leviton board he is using is T568A.

And while you can often insert a 6P4C or 6P2C plug into a 8P8C jack some manufactures warn that you may damage the jack. They can be designed to work together but not all are. JFYI.

post #36 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Don't suppose you ever did any ARCNET?
Nope, no hands on with ARCNET, although I remember the technology.
post #37 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

So, the take away from this thread is that a given segment of cabling needs to be terminated the same way on both ends. In the case at hand, that apparently means T568A for the cable punched down to the Leviton board. That does not mean that a cable plugged into that board, or any other cable in OP's system, has to be terminated to T568A. In fact, if he is using pre-terminated patch cables, they are in all likelihood terminated to T568B, and that is just fine.
post #38 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Sooo.....

Did the OP ever get this to work in his home or did the bickering scare him away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #39 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

So, the take away from this thread is that a given segment of cabling needs to be terminated the same way on both ends. In the case at hand, that apparently means T568A for the cable punched down to the Leviton board. That does not mean that a cable plugged into that board, or any other cable in OP's system, has to be terminated to T568A. In fact, if he is using pre-terminated patch cables, they are in all likelihood terminated to T568B, and that is just fine.

Since the pin to pin connections are the same for both T568A and T568B (1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc) as long as both ends of a run of cable (be it in-wall, patch cable, whatever) are the same you're good to go.

The fact the the orange pair and the green pair are swapped in T568B (referenced to T568A) makes no difference since the electrons cannot see the color of the wire. rolleyes.gif

post #40 of 44 Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yes, I wonder if the bickering scared the guy away. We were just supposed to get his LAN working.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #41 of 44 Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
It was a bit scarey! smile.gif OK, so no, I still haven't been able to order the continuity checker. I punched everything in the A sequence did not use B anywhere. It was bare wire in the walls, so I had to terminate that as well punch the levitron board. I actually had some separate internet problem that I just had fixed, so, back to this. I found various tools online, some cheap and some expensive. I'm gonna get one that allows me to plug a pre made patch cable into my new plate and another patch cable into the levitron board and then those cables into the continutiy checker. I will try to ensure that those cable work prior to pluggin into the checker. I will report what happens.
post #42 of 44 Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Lowes and Home Depot have some of the less expensive ones that will do for verifying the wiring. At the least you want one that verifies that there is continuity for all wires AND the wires are connected correctly (pin 1 to pin 1, etc). And generally these tools are two part devices, one at each end, one end is a "remote" and the other end is the part with the controls/readout/display. And yes they usually have jacks and you connect them to the jacks under test with "patch" cords, very short ones often come with the tool.

post #43 of 44 Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
got the lan checker from the depot. plugged it in...7&8 were open. ( seated poorly) re punched, and now I am really cooking. thanks for everyone's help.
post #44 of 44 Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page