Nuvo Gran Concerto Zone Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I inherited a GC18 and after recurring problems with the ipod dock, I went to the airplay over airport express route. I got everything set up perfectly, but (and I don't think that its related to this hook-up) I am not getting anything out of my 5th zone.

I get Airplay over the other 4 zones no issues, full control.
Nothing out of zone 5.

Troubleshooting so far.

Connected speakers from zone 5 to zone 3. The 5th zone works fine, full volume control. This tells me that its not the speaker wire run.

Slaved Zone 1 to Zone 5 (through the Zone 5 wall plate). When I did this, I could control Zone 1 through the Zone 5 wall plate. This tells me the CAT5 run is okay...

So if both the CAT5 and speaker runs seem to be okay, I'm not sure what gives. One bit that I dont understand is if I hook up the speakers to Zone 6 and then move the CAT 5 to a different jack in the 18port e-net hub, Zone 5 still lights up on the GC. I'm guessing thats because the IP address is maintained and its port ambivanet, but I'm not sure where to go/what to do next.

Thanks in advance - cw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW in NH View Post

So if both the CAT5 and speaker runs seem to be okay, I'm not sure what gives.

Sounds like you may have lost a zone amp. One thing to check would be to take the fixed line output for Zone5 and connect it to an unused source input (so you can test if the zone is working at all). Or better, if you have another amp around, see if you can get it to work that way. That will also be your best/cheapest route to repairing it - assuming you're using all six powered zones so you don't have a "spare".
Quote:
One bit that I dont understand is if I hook up the speakers to Zone 6 and then move the CAT 5 to a different jack in the 18port e-net hub, Zone 5 still lights up on the GC. I'm guessing thats because the IP address is maintained and its port ambivanet, but I'm not sure where to go/what to do next.

It's not IP, but the concept is the same. The keypads are assigned to a zone via their setup menu (on the keypad). If you need to re-assign that room to another working zone, you can change the assignment in the keypad.

Good luck!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I do have a 6th, unused zone. I tried to "hook" it up, but it didnt seem to "register". Is it possible to set it up if you dont have the SW application and the serial cable?

edit - I see how to do it through the keypads, but everything is greyed out, other than the "active 5 zones"

The manual has a lot to be desired for, not super helpful...

Thanks a bunch.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, i connected an old Amp to the fixed source and the amp drove through its speakers, so maybe its a blown zone amp. Its still not clear how I utilize the unused zone 6, as that may get me going. If not, I could probably drive 2 of the zones off of the same wall plate...
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do have a 6th, unused zone. I tried to "hook" it up, but it didnt seem to "register". Is it possible to set it up if you dont have the SW application and the serial cable?

I think so, you just need to assign the keypads...
Quote:
edit - I see how to do it through the keypads, but everything is greyed out, other than the "active 5 zones"

The manual has a lot to be desired for, not super helpful...

It should be all in there, though. To access the greyed out Advanced menu items, highlight it and hold down the "OK" button for six seconds.

Quote:

Okay, i connected an old Amp to the fixed source and the amp drove through its speakers, so maybe its a blown zone amp. Its still not clear how I utilize the unused zone 6, as that may get me going. If not, I could probably drive 2 of the zones off of the same wall plate...

It should just be a matter of moving the speaker connections and setting up the zone via the keypad.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I can move the speaker wires to Zone 6, and I can access the advanced settings by holding down the greyed out button for 6seconds. But, I cannot "move" the keypad to Zone 6. I can scroll to it, but its greyed out, and if I hold the OK for 6+ seconds nothing happens. If I do a system reset, will I be completely hosed? If I read the manual correctly, I should be able to connect zone 6, unless I got a 5-zone unit... (I think that was a joke).

Is it a special cable that one needs to use the configurator SW? Or is it a stock USB-Serial Cable?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again.

I can move the speaker wires to Zone 6, and I can access the advanced settings by holding down the greyed out button for 6seconds. But, I cannot "move" the keypad to Zone 6. I can scroll to it, but its greyed out, and if I hold the OK for 6+ seconds nothing happens. If I do a system reset, will I be completely hosed? If I read the manual correctly, I should be able to connect zone 6, unless I got a 5-zone unit... (I think that was a joke).

A joke - they're 6-zone units...
Quote:
Is it a special cable that one needs to use the configurator SW? Or is it a stock USB-Serial Cable?

Stock cable, I've used several USB-to-serial cables without issue - just need to configure it for 56k baud N81...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page