Need help selecting Multizone audio system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only need 2-3 sources, but 6 zones. Each zone has a Proficient c6 or c8 series ceiling speaker.

Ideally I would like to control all of this with my Android phone, but if not an iPad/Touch would be fine.

Sonos seems okay but it looks like they require an amp in each zone (not possible, speaker wires are all home runned) and are focused mainly on wireless system.
Everything else (Nuvo, Niles, Russound) doesn't seem to offer much in the way of Android software.

Additionally the speakers I have are rated up to 100 W, and most of these receivers can manage at most 50 W per speakers, would I be damaging the speaker or amp by under powering them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What sources do you want to listen to?

Why isn't Sonos possible for home run zoned speakers?

fyi, "runned" isn't a word, it should read "ran".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

What sources do you want to listen to?

Why isn't Sonos possible for home run zoned speakers?

Some HTPC setup ie. JRiver, Winamp, Media Center, etc., maybe an iPod, and a generic AUX/3.5mm RCA source, maybe terrestrial radio.

Sonos doesn't have a single Amp to power multiple zones. So I'd need literally six amps stacked one on top of the other in my wiring closet. That may cost as much as these other systems but space is an issue.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Why not this?

http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio/mid-level-whole-house-audio

Phone control possible, and multi-source capability.

Oh, and most speakers pull about 10 watts of power under 'normal' use, so you won't be under powering them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

...............fyi, "runned" isn't a word, it should read "ran".

but "...all speaker wires are home ran".... is stoopid too....in fact, more so! Taking a word, like KillSwitch did with "run" and adding "-ed-" to it is pretty common practice and understandable. tongue.gif

....we will now return to our regularly scheduled program smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Why not this?

http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio/mid-level-whole-house-audio

Phone control possible, and multi-source capability.

Oh, and most speakers pull about 10 watts of power under 'normal' use, so you won't be under powering them.

I was just looking at that! HTD makes good stuff? How are the iPhone/Android interfaces? I very much want to DIY and this seems perfect for that application! I'm at bit confused as to the difference between the MCA6 and MC6 + 12 Channel amp. Does the MCA6 not allow volume control per zone?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Six Sonos units are done all the time. The fact that the pricing is around the same as the other units, is a good option.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch1968 View Post

I was just looking at that! HTD makes good stuff? How are the iPhone/Android interfaces? I very much want to DIY and this seems perfect for that application! I'm at bit confused as to the difference between the MCA6 and MC6 + 12 Channel amp. Does the MCA6 not allow volume control per zone?
One includes integrated amplification, the other one includes external amplification.

The use of an external amplifier is something I like because amplifiers generate a fair bit of heat, and while they have gotten better over the years, they can still break down and a channel or two may fail. The stand alone amplifiers are generally larger, built more robust, and have better heat dissipation if designed properly. As well, if you have an area that needs more power, you can use a different amp to drive those speakers, or add more speakers to one area with more amplification as necessary.

By removing the amplifier from the multi-source pre-amp/control unit, you remove that point of failure from being an internal item, and from what I have seen, the most common point of failure in a distributed audio system.

If budget allows, the MC6 + amp is a better choice than the integrated all-in-one unit.

Otherwise, the all-in-one unit does volume control WITH amplification built in. The separates provide one unit for control/switching/volume, and the second box is strictly for amplification purposes.

I have not used stuff from HTD before, but the reviews have been positive. Sonos has also had solid reivews over the years, and you certainly could put multiple individual zone controllers in one spot. They don't have to be 'local' to a room, but if you want a local keypad, then you may prefer the HTD solution as it offers systems with included keypads. I'm a big fan of keypads personally along with iDevice control as I can walk into any room, press one button as I walk in/out and control the system.

Oh, and if I were to go with Sonos, then 6 'CONNECT' units plus an external amplifier would be my choice... and at $2,100 without the amplifier, it certainly will cost a fair bit more than the HTD solution.

To be fair, I have no belief that the HTD solution will provide as slick of an interface as Sonos delivers, though I have personally not seen the HTD version.
stewp97 and killswitch1968 like this.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

One includes integrated amplification, the other one includes external amplification.

The use of an external amplifier is something I like because amplifiers generate a fair bit of heat, and while they have gotten better over the years, they can still break down and a channel or two may fail. The stand alone amplifiers are generally larger, built more robust, and have better heat dissipation if designed properly. As well, if you have an area that needs more power, you can use a different amp to drive those speakers, or add more speakers to one area with more amplification as necessary.

By removing the amplifier from the multi-source pre-amp/control unit, you remove that point of failure from being an internal item, and from what I have seen, the most common point of failure in a distributed audio system.

If budget allows, the MC6 + amp is a better choice than the integrated all-in-one unit.

Otherwise, the all-in-one unit does volume control WITH amplification built in. The separates provide one unit for control/switching/volume, and the second box is strictly for amplification purposes.

I have not used stuff from HTD before, but the reviews have been positive. Sonos has also had solid reivews over the years, and you certainly could put multiple individual zone controllers in one spot. They don't have to be 'local' to a room, but if you want a local keypad, then you may prefer the HTD solution as it offers systems with included keypads. I'm a big fan of keypads personally along with iDevice control as I can walk into any room, press one button as I walk in/out and control the system.

Oh, and if I were to go with Sonos, then 6 'CONNECT' units plus an external amplifier would be my choice... and at $2,100 without the amplifier, it certainly will cost a fair bit more than the HTD solution.

To be fair, I have no belief that the HTD solution will provide as slick of an interface as Sonos delivers, though I have personally not seen the HTD version.

Very helpful reply, thank you for this information. And yes, $2100 is a lot, but I agree that the Sonos interface is really really slick, and the source options are extensive. But $350 per CONNECT + ~$1000 for the amp is almost double the HTD option. And I'm quite ambivalent about keypads but very interested in Phone/Tablet control. It seems Niles, Russound, etc. are quite reasonably prices for a 6/6 system when compared to Sonos as well, but again their interfaces are not as nice.

Thanks again for the information, this has been very helpful!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page