Need help in stripping CAT6 into keystone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought monoprice keystones and was trying to wire CAT6.

I sed DataShark punch down tool but the wires just go in to the slot with the sheath on... I may be using wrong technique or may need an easier tool

any suggestions.
Now I am regretting getting the patch CAT6 cable instead of bulk.. I debated this for hours and hours until I decided to get the bullk cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Don't quite know what you are calling patch cables. Patch cables usually use stranded wire which is not designed to be punched down.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #3 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

sorry I meant not getting patch CAT6 cable since they already have RJ45 connectors on them

I got the bulk cables and have to put these into the CAT6 keystones
post #4 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM

You punch the wires down with the insulation still on. The Keystone will cut into the insulation onto the wire inside. Just be sure to either use the A or B side, which side you use is up to you. I use the B side. There is an argument going on right now on another thread about which side to use.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #5 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If you need help terminating your Cat cable into a RJ45 keystone connection then there are videos for that which are worth looking at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHy8mtW9eak

I'm sure there are a ton more as well.

It does NOT matter if you follow the 568A or 568B termination standard, as long as it is the same on both ends. Repeat: MUST BE THE SAME AT BOTH ENDS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_bama View Post

"...any suggestions.
Have you tested the segment to see if it works or not? The punch down connections on the keystones are what are know as insulation displacement connectors. They are not intended to remove the insulation, just cut through it to the wire underneath. You really cannot tell by looking if you have a good connection or not.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

really ... i saw somewhere that you should check visually if conductor shows up

"STEP 7

check the wires in their slotsCheck the quality of the punches. Inspect each termination slot along the outer edge of the jack; each wire should be firmly anchored at the bottom of its slot, and the wires’ copper conductors will be visible. "
post #8 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Nice to see anyone arguing whether to use A, B, Or C and just trying to help the guy. As stated, if you use A, go with it all the way If you use B, go with it all the way. I don't know anything about the new C. The way my home is wired, I have Keystones on each end. The plate on my main connector blocks accepts Keystones allowing me to use the A or B side. I chose B because the company I worked for ( Norfolk Southern Railroad )( Retired) said this is the new way of doing things. I hope a company that transports goods from Maine to Florida and a little west knows what they are talking about.

post #9 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

really ...
Really. Do the visual checks recommended by the manufacturer. They are fine as far as they go. But sometimes everything can look good and the cable still won't work. And sometimes you cannot see the conductor but the cable is still fine.

So, have you tested the cable?
post #10 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

I don't know anything about the new C
That is a good thing because there is no C.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

That is a good thing because there is no C.
There is no spoon either!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, Neo...
post #13 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to all...
I ordered Kwik Tool for punching from titan. Rather expensive, Lets see if it works
post #14 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what I use at home:

Works as well as an expensive 110 tool.

Any way, let us know how it goes.
post #15 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Colm, isn't that the free tool that is packaged with the Leviton punch down connectors?

$10 tool is much easier, and quicker. Includes the blade.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #16 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

wow and I spend almost $35
post #17 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Certainly, if I was a pro, I'd get a nicer, impact punch down tool.

I've been using this non-impact one, from Datashark/Palladin:

http://www.amazon.com/DataShark-70034-Non-Impact-Punchdown-Tool/dp/tech-data/B000KMFDZ0

The 'free' Leviton one which Colm posted is perfectly adequate, for a single project.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #18 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I've used all three types - the freebie, the cheap non-impact version, and now have an Ideal punchdown 110. Every single one of them has worked fine.

That's really the bottom line.

Every one works fine, so if you follow the video instructions in the link I provided, and BOTH ENDS of the cable are following the same T568A or T568B wiring standard, then the cable will work.

There are cheap testers out there which are worth having if you intend to do this several times in your life, but if not, then check where you work to see if anyone has something you can borrow.

When I used the freebie one, I merely used a sharp knife to knick off the end of the wire sticking out of the connector. It wasn't actually necessary, but cleaned up the look.

post #19 of 31 Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I used the same datashark tool 110.
I thought it did not work since I did not see the conductor touching the block.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-12-2013, 07:06 AM

Any hoo jk, your stuff working now?

post #21 of 31 Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

just got the tool. Will try later
post #22 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

total failure since the KwikTool will not accomodate monoprice cat6 keystone.

what a waste..
post #23 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Not familiar with Kwik. Just get the cheapest at HD/Lowes. Maybe price out a small pack of Leviton connectors packaged with the free tool.

post #24 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

total failure since the KwikTool will not accomodate monoprice cat6 keystone.

what a waste..

Did the maker of the tool say it would work with jacks other then their own?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #25 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty specifically it is proprietary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrgxesWqGP0

I've never seen that tool, and what should be purchased is a standard 110 punch down tool. Ideal makes some nice ones if you want nice, but at said, it really is not needed if you aren't going to do this often.

This is the one that I see most often...

post #26 of 31 Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM

jk, sounds like you are getting frustrated. Don't give up. Someday it will hit you how this stuff works. Keep on trying. Sometimes it is hard trying to explain this stuff online.

post #27 of 31 Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

finally figured out that the connection of the cat6 cable to the keystone is only at the point where the individual wire touches the keystone base. Hence the use of impact punchdown force to strip the portion just at point of contact not the whole wire.

Used eclipse punchdown impact tool. Dont know if it worked but it managed to punch down the cable.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 PM

I am fortunate to have a ADC/Krone punchdown tool from where I worked. (Retired) Also I have a device called a puck in which you place the Keystone connector into which helps hold the cable and Keystone as when you punch it down in your hand you don't hurt yourself. Punching these things down all day is hard on the hands if you do this all day long. It even has a little pair of scissors which cuts off the excess when you punch it down. That 110 tool will do the job, just cut off the excess cable with a pair of cutters to make a nice job.

Don't give up. Someday it will hit you and you will see all the mistakes you are making.

post #29 of 31 Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Just looked up the Krone LSA Plus punch down tool .Seen 1 on E bay. $3.50. I have never seen a better tool for punching down cat wire.

post #30 of 31 Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Just looked up the Krone LSA Plus punch down tool .Seen 1 on E bay. $3.50. I have never seen a better tool for punching down cat wire.
Might need a new cutting blade, if used.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page