Demarcation question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They just pulled the LV wiring yesterday in the house I’m having built, so I stopped by to check out the wiring. I paid to have the Cat5e cables for my network drops upgraded to Cat6, plus put in conduits at all my TV locations to be able to pull additional Cat6 later.

The question I have though is, I noticed the wiring coming in from the point of demarcation as an RG6, Cat5e for phone and it apparently also an additional Cat5e. Since I am running Cat6 throughout the house, wouldn’t it make sense to have Cat6 coming into the house too? I know the current Internet connection speeds won’t hit the Cat5e limit, but there is the hope that in the next couple of years it can and then it would exceed the capability of the Cat5e, right?

Just wanted to catch it if it needs to be fixed before the drywall goes up 

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Not likely, as cat5e would handle 1Gb Ethernet easily. So 20-50x more bandwidth than you're probably getting today.

If anything, I'd suggest adding a conduit run from the demarc to your wiring closet, so whatever comes next can be added...

And take a ton of pictures of everything in the walls and ceiling (cabling, plumbing, ductwork) before that drywall goes up!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff,

Thanks. Good to know that I don’t have to have them replace one of the cables already pulled 
I’ve taken tons of pictures up to this point. It’s amazing how easy it can be to lose the context of what you are taking a picture of….installed speaker wire….is that in the bedroom? Think I have it pretty good so far. However, probably next weekend, after I have the home inspector go through the house, I plan to redo all my photos and plan to have the tape measure in the photo to know exact location of everything on each wall.

Now I just need to figure out the speakers. Having the LCR speakers wired for in-wall and all others in-ceiling. However, need to figure out how far on each side of TV the speakers should be. Also, thinking I need the builder to go back and build a small box frame under where the TV is going to go to support the C speaker being horizontal. As it is right now, it would be hard to put in a horizontal speaker with the 2x4 going down the middle 

Thanks.

Ken
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page