Nuvo Grand Concerto: Where to Buy ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

I am constructing a new home and am planning to install an Nuvo GC system. The build is nearing completing and am now starting to look for store to purchase the GC system (package with 6-keypads: PN: NV-I8GMS) and the Music Port Server Elite ( NV-MPS4-E). Live in the South Bay Area (Norcal). Understand that Nuvo policy requires the stores to advertise MSRP but stores are typically are willing to discount. Any good recommendations of where to buy ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I'd start with HomeTech, which has a storefront in Cupertino...

http://www.hometech.com/

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 27 Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I think you're stuck paying MSRP, unless you become a pro.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 27 Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 PM

Be careful that you obtain the programming software when you purchase the hardware.

Nuvo used to have a policy of not allowing anyone but a certified installer purchase the software, making the amplifier only useful for keeping a boat in one place (may have changed now) to a DIYer.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Any recommendations if purchasing in the Los Angeles area?
post #6 of 27 Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Call Nuvo. They would be very happy to set you up with someone local, and they can tell you where to get it online.

Good point about the programming software - make sure you can get it before buying hardware.

Striking a deal with a local installer may be an option, but make sure you have the sw.

Someone said not too long ago that the Nuvo GC sw did not have a EULA, and was free to distribute. Not sure if that's true, but might be something to ask Nuvo.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 27 Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Is there anything new on the market that compares to the grand concerto?

Seems like very few posts on here lately? Maybe it's been beat to death...but I haven't seen much about anyone trying to run towers or bookshelf using the grand concerto/ external amp.
I'm looking to learn how I would go about doing it...as well as using a passive sub in the mix...any insight would b great.
Thanks
post #8 of 27 Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverb View Post

Is there anything new on the market that compares to the grand concerto?

Not directly. NuVo added a high-power (200W/ch) version of their 3-zone streamer to the mix (model P3500), but still no keypad support like the GC.
Quote:
Seems like very few posts on here lately? Maybe it's been beat to death...but I haven't seen much about anyone trying to run towers or bookshelf using the grand concerto/ external amp.

That's simply a matter of connecting them, so I wouldn't expect many questions on that...
Quote:
I'm looking to learn how I would go about doing it...as well as using a passive sub in the mix...any insight would b great.

I'm running a passive sub on my outdoor zone - using the variable line output from that zone to run to the subwoofer amp. I do the same thing with an active sub in my game room zone, too. Connected that output using cat5e and a MuxLab audio balun.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #9 of 27 Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 PM

Haven't figured the quote action...

P3500 could be a viable option. Have you heard any word that they may be integrating with key pads in the future?

I wasn't sure if zones 1-6 could actually be amped externally. But now I understand the line out. Thanks

Is there a more cost effective way of getting more power to speakers other than adding a single amp to each separate zone?

I'm not too audio savvy, so excuse me if this is totally off the wall, but,
could you hook up a 12 channel amp to zones 1 thru 6 and still have independent zone control?

If you use line out, for an amp or a sub let's say, will you still have access to the 80w of power in that zone's channel?

If you were going to use both a passive sub and an amp to power speakers in the same zone how would you go about wiring this?

Thanks for kinda schooling me here, I have read through a lot of your posts and have picked up tons of great info....cheers
-if you need and info regarding oil field diving...I'm your guy ;-)
post #10 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

P3500 could be a viable option. Have you heard any word that they may be integrating with key pads in the future?

I've suggested it myself to them several times, but no word on when or if they will do it.

The fact that Russound has done that on their streaming unit (shipping soon?) might push them in that direction, though, hopefully.
Quote:
Is there a more cost effective way of getting more power to speakers other than adding a single amp to each separate zone?

Not really. How many zones are you expecting to need more power than normal? If anything, use zones 1-6 for most rooms, and use 7-8 for the "large" spaces, since those need external amps anyway.
Quote:
I'm not too audio savvy, so excuse me if this is totally off the wall, but,
could you hook up a 12 channel amp to zones 1 thru 6 and still have independent zone control?

Yes, but you'd have to get a very large amp to significantly improve the performance. Why do you think you need so much power per zone? 40W/channel is quite a bit for these types of systems...
Quote:
If you use line out, for an amp or a sub let's say, will you still have access to the 80w of power in that zone's channel?

Yes.
Quote:
If you were going to use both a passive sub and an amp to power speakers in the same zone how would you go about wiring this?

Depends on the sub, but for pre-wiring I would run two 4-conductor speaker cables and a RG59 from the system location to the sub's location. That will cover all cases.
Quote:
if you need and info regarding oil field diving...I'm your guy ;-)

Thanks, but I'm in Houston. I have a guy for that. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
diverb likes this.

post #11 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Maybe I went a bit overboard in my need for power, but I just didn't want to find myself under powered when it came time to rock the house ;-)

This is what I have in mind. Full paradigm speaker setup.

Zone 1- future setup
Zone 2- outdoor speakers
Zone 3- studio 20's, possible passive sub
Zone 4- studio 10's or in ceilings.
Zone 5- line out to HT setup
Zone 6- studio 20's
Zone 7- studio 60's possible passive sub.
Zone 8- studio 100's, passive sub, passive crossover. Future expansion to a 7.1 system utilizing the line out.

So without a doubt the 60's and 100's require additional amplification.

With the 20's I'm not really sure how they will go with 40w/ch....care to speculate?

I think the 10's will b fine on GC power.

When using a passive sub. Will I be using the subs internal amp to run the speakers out as well?

I'm going To look into this RG59
post #12 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 AM

How is the user interface with the p3500?
post #13 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM

This p3500 still requires the music port server correct?
post #14 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I went a bit overboard in my need for power, but I just didn't want to find myself under powered when it came time to rock the house ;-)

This is what I have in mind. Full paradigm speaker setup.

Zone 1- future setup
Zone 2- outdoor speakers
Zone 3- studio 20's, possible passive sub
Zone 4- studio 10's or in ceilings.
Zone 5- line out to HT setup
Zone 6- studio 20's
Zone 7- studio 60's possible passive sub.
Zone 8- studio 100's, passive sub, passive crossover. Future expansion to a 7.1 system utilizing the line out.

So without a doubt the 60's and 100's require additional amplification.

With the 20's I'm not really sure how they will go with 40w/ch....care to speculate?

With that list of equipment I think you might be expecting too much out of a WHA system... If you're hooking up $1k/pair speakers to these systems, your expectations may be out of alignment with what the WHA systems are intended for...
Quote:
When using a passive sub. Will I be using the subs internal amp to run the speakers out as well?

You can.
Quote:
I'm going To look into this RG59

It's "coax"...
Quote:

How is the user interface with the p3500?

It's the same as the P3100 and the P100/200 wireless zone players. Similar in form / function to the Sonos and others.
Quote:

This p3500 still requires the music port server correct?

No, the P3500 is a self-contained 3-zone streamer. See the P100/P200 for the single-zone versions, which compare to the Sonos Connect:Amp.

Jeff

post #15 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM

Hmm expecting too much eh.
Ok.
I was just really stoked on the idea of having access to internet radio and my iTunes. I really liked all the features that these systems offer.

I guess I need a multiple room hifi and perhaps there just isn't the demand.

Is there anything that you could recommend that might be able to satisfy my build?

It would be a shame to have to build an independant system in each room.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the new NuVo P3500 units are 100W/channel - it's when you start talking about 5.1/7.1 in the mix, or connecting "expensive" speakers to a modest 20-40W/ch WHA system that gives me pause on recommending that... For my primary listening system I do have the WHA line out connected for consistency, but I have a dedicated streamer for that zone as well.

post #17 of 27 Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM

I guess I haven't got a good grasp on how the signals are effected.

Essentially what I would b making the grand concerto, is just a way to have a centrally located device that is capable of streaming music to all speakers anywhere in the house.

I was more thinking that once I line out to a quality 7.1 or a well powered amp that the quality could b as great as the component.

I didn't really take into account that all audio has to go from say, a music port to the GC and out. At which point the signal would b degraded.

I am truly lost now on how i am going to make this happen

I'm glad we were able to talk through this.

I appreciate your feedback
post #18 of 27 Old 05-07-2014, 01:59 AM

Ok guys, I've given myself a reality check. Going with some paradigm in ceiling speakers no need to blow the roof off, just want to listen to music everywhere.

I've been around the block and back looking at what's out from Control4 to this new mirage system and even Sonos.

Nuvo still comes out the clear winner and as Jauntor suggested the P3500 seems the clear choice.

The only downside I can see is that I just started using that Spotify App which nuvo doesn't yet support.

My first question...would it b possible to run something like a Sonos connect as a source to the nuvo system. I believe this is something like a music port type deal and supports a whole heap of 3rd party streamers. It is a standard analog connection.

One thing I saw from control4 that I liked but didn't like as the only way to get music was their music bridge...this basically uses your device to stream music to the system.
-is the P3500 able to stream from an iphone or android?
I believe that music bridge uses Bluetooth and another technology...I just thought it is a waste of battery and not a reliable way to get music, but combining this with the P3500 would be a interesting combo to get more out of the system....that is if it isn't already capable.

My other query is the range of the signal for these P3500. I have 4 levels to my house from basement to rooftop. My Home run is on the second floor. The house is all concrete. I worried that I might not be able to communicate with the system from say...the roof. Is there signal boosters or do you have to get additional gateways?

Regarding the gateway. If I can run cat5 directly from my modem to my players...plan to have 3 for 9 zones do I even need a gateway?

Regarding the hookup...I saw these can be daisy chained together so if I have 3 units does this mean I only need a single cat5 run from the modem and just jumpers to link each unit? Or do they have to b connected individually from the modem?

Does the nuvo stream over the same network as my other devices...how can I word this better? Basically if I'm streaming netflicks is the streaming from the nuvo going to suffer or vice Versa?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 12
For what its worth I bought my on EBAY - works fine and got a great price
diverb likes this.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only downside I can see is that I just started using that Spotify App which nuvo doesn't yet support.

Speaking about the Player series (P100 through P3500), you could at least stream audio from the Spotify app to the system via WiFi or Bluetooth (the WiFi link is a new feature just added a few months ago)
Quote:
My first question...would it b possible to run something like a Sonos connect as a source to the nuvo system. I believe this is something like a music port type deal and supports a whole heap of 3rd party streamers. It is a standard analog connection.

Yes, for the wired systems (Grand Conerto) it is a cheap way to get the streaming services vs. the MPS4, but you lose all the benefits of the metadata keypads. If you're not willing to pay for the MPS4 for that integration, the GC is probably not the right system for you, as you're paying a lot for the metadata support which you wouldn't be using...
Quote:
My other query is the range of the signal for these P3500. I have 4 levels to my house from basement to rooftop. My Home run is on the second floor. The house is all concrete. I worried that I might not be able to communicate with the system from say...the roof. Is there signal boosters or do you have to get additional gateways?

Not sure, but see below.
Quote:
Regarding the gateway. If I can run cat5 directly from my modem to my players...plan to have 3 for 9 zones do I even need a gateway?

Gateway is only required for wireless links. Connect it to your existing wired Ethernet network and you're good to go...
Quote:
Regarding the hookup...I saw these can be daisy chained together so if I have 3 units does this mean I only need a single cat5 run from the modem and just jumpers to link each unit? Or do they have to b connected individually from the modem?

Nope, they can be chained together - the P3xxx has an internal Ethernet switch, the other port is a "leftover" one in the design, which turns out to be very handy for exactly that purpose!
Quote:
Does the nuvo stream over the same network as my other devices...how can I word this better? Basically if I'm streaming netflicks is the streaming from the nuvo going to suffer or vice Versa?

Same network, same with Sonos and everything else. And it's not a problem. Streaming audio takes very little bandwidth...

Jeff
diverb likes this.

post #21 of 27 Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Speaking about the Player series (P100 through P3500), you could at least stream audio from the Spotify app to the system via WiFi or Bluetooth (the WiFi link is a new feature just added a few months ago)

i'm very glad to hear it, that opens up unlimited possibilities.

-from what i can gather, the P series can play over wifi or bluetooth as you stated, itunes music, and a handful of internet radio and streaming sites.

- i asked if its possible to use a sonos connect as a source...does the P Series have the ability to add external sources or do we just take what comes from the box?  I was thinking the Connect or even an ipod dock, ect.

Quote:
Gateway is only required for wireless links. Connect it to your existing wired Ethernet network and you're good to go...

that should save me a few peso.

-about the range of the system, it seems like as long as i have an internet signal than there shouldn't be a problem communicating with the units.

I have all the provisionary cat5 cable run for future key pad hookup....have you heard any further whispers of this becoming a reality with these players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis. S View Post

For what its worth I bought my on EBAY - works fine and got a great price

i was in contact with a person for a grand concerto and since have changed my view to these P series players, so i will look her up again and also keep my eyes open....thanks

post #22 of 27 Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm very glad to hear it, that opens up unlimited possibilities.
  - i asked if its possible to use a sonos connect as a source...does the P Series have the ability to add external sources or do we just take what comes from the box?  I was thinking the Connect or even an ipod dock, ect.

Yes, the Pxxx models all have an analog line in for each zone (same functionality as the Sonos units).
Quote:
-about the range of the system, it seems like as long as i have an internet signal than there shouldn't be a problem communicating with the units.

Yep, you can put one wherever you have Ethernet...
Quote:
I have all the provisionary cat5 cable run for future key pad hookup....have you heard any further whispers of this becoming a reality with these players?

Not yet, but I'm going to make the suggestion to them again soon...

Jeff
diverb likes this.

post #23 of 27 Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, the Pxxx models all have an analog line in for each zone (same functionality as the Sonos units).

Example:

if i attach a source to the 1st of my 3 Players that are daisy chained, into the line in of zone 1 for instance...

does this mean i can only use the source for that specific zone?

Or will every player and every Zone have access to that source?

post #24 of 27 Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Example:
if i attach a source to the 1st of my 3 Players that are daisy chained, into the line in of zone 1 for instance...
does this mean i can only use the source for that specific zone?
Or will every player and every Zone have access to that source?

Every player gains access to that source over the network.
diverb likes this.

post #25 of 27 Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Every player gains access to that source over the network.

I figured.

-Ok Jautor, you have done come through for me here, i appreciate all your answers and support with my situation.

Next step is to make the purchase :-)

Cant wait to get this set up installed.

Thanks again for your time with this.

post #26 of 27 Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 PM

OH OH, i guess i still have a few more questions. 

I think i have the P3500's figured out and even found a dealer here in the philppines with comparable prices to the US.

Next up is the P100.

Since i have 10 zones, im offset and need a single player to handle the leftover zone.

this zone im thinking to run 4 speakers and going with the least expensive player.

Is this player able to work in the daisy chain with my P3500's? or will i require the Gateway?

IM going to be running 4 in ceiling speakers from paradigm.

it wont be an issue running an Amp off the line out of the P100?

Do you have a good four ch amp recommendation?....i really was into the Emotiva line but they dont have a four channel.

post #27 of 27 Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

P100 - Is this player able to work in the daisy chain with my P3500's? or will i require the Gateway?

P100 / P200 can also use wired Ethernet. Gateway is only required for setting up wireless links to the Players.
Quote:
IM going to be running 4 in ceiling speakers from paradigm.

it wont be an issue running an Amp off the line out of the P100?

Do you have a good four ch amp recommendation?....i really was into the Emotiva line but they dont have a four channel.

A single 4-ohm-stable stereo amp will do just fine. An amp with signal sense for automatic on/off is a big plus for a zone amp. AudioSource AMP-100 or one of their larger amps if you need more power...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page