Connect Mac Mini to HDTV via AV receiver using HDMI over cat5e/6 extenders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks
I am new to this forum and following a fairly long search through the various posts and threads I was not able to find anyone with a similar enough problem to mine to help me through it. So I am starting a new thread.... apologies if this is not 100% in line with forum etiquette ...

My problem is set out below:

Equipment:

COMPUTER
Mac Mini
2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

TV
Samsung LED HDTV (UE55SE6100)

AV Receiver
Yamaha RX V673 AV Receiver

I am trying to connect the mac mini to the TV via the AV receiver. Note that AV receiver is already connected to the TV and works a treat. I watch cable TV through that.

As a test, I first connected the mac mini directly to the receiver using plain HDMI cable with no problems. I can see my mac mini on my LED TV.

As the receiver is not going to be near the computer, I then purchased a pair of HDMI extenders over two cat5e/6 (link here) cables to give me a bigger distance between the computer and the receiver. I connect them and get nothing.

I have re-done the RJ45 connections twice so far but no luck.
I have also used a different pair of HDMI extenders which I has been using for something else (which I know definitely work), but again nothing.
I have tried different cat5e/6 cable with moulded RJ45 connectors and again nothing.

So I am wondering... could it be that the HDMI extenders that use two ethernet cables are perhaps not suitable for connecting a mac mini (as opposed to any other computer) to a TV, and I need HDMI extender over single ethernet cable (something called a balun).

I am not a techie and have been attempting all this following tips and advise from friends etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, it sounds like the extenders aren't playing nice with one piece of your equipment (most likely the Mac). But, to test it, try connect a DVD/Bluray player to your AVR via the HDMI extenders. See what happens. If you're still getting nothing, it could be your AVR, or a bad extender.

And honestly, you should get an HDBaseT extender, like this one at Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091401&p_id=10225&seq=1&format=2

Yes, more expensive, but definitely more reliable.

Alternatively, try out a long HDMI cable with Redmere, like these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255. They go up to 60ft.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The HDMI Extender set you have linked to are badly designed!

There is no provision for a power supply – which means they are relying on your Source supplying enough current on the HDMI +5v line to power the Transmitter, that is not going to happen with a Mac.

Do your alternative Extender set have a power supply?

Another potential problem being the Extenders are stripping out any EDID info so the Mac is unaware that a Display is no connected – you may need to include an HD Fury ‘Dr HDMI’ or Gefen ‘HDMI Detective+’ in your signal path to maintain EDID to the Mac.

A properly designed set of dual CAT Extenders may do the trick (without the EDID kit above) - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20ethernet%20converters.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Iogear Cat5e 6 Extender , Siig Inc Hdmi Over Cat5e Mini Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page