Russound SRC2 Remote - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble with an SRC2 remote that won't send Russound commands. When I'm in the "R" device mode, the power, volume, mute, and source buttons don't work at all (as in no red light signifying it's attempting to send). When I'm in any other device mode, the buttons work. I've tried the factory reset ("Set" for 5 secs followed by 9-8-0) but that didn't solve my problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-06-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have 2 of the SRC2 remote controls and I have never seen that problem.

I encountered a different problem with these remotes. The bottom part of both of my SRC2 remotes have spontaneously begun to leach a sticky substance. The plastic looks like it has melted. It feels gross, it collects dust, and worse, I'm afraid the chemical could be harmful if absorbed through the skin or ingested. I've never seen a piece of plastic degenerate like this before. I've not cleaned it with a solvent, they've been just sitting around in various rooms.

I'm forced to throw away both remotes. From my research, the SRC2 remote has been replaced with the USRC remote. Another alternative for the UNO-S1 and UNO-S2 control pads could be the UNO-LRC1 remote (but I haven't verified this). Hope this helps anyone else who encounters the "melting plastic" problem on the SRC2.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-06-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by btpark View Post
I have 2 of the SRC2 remote controls and I have never seen that problem.

I encountered a different problem with these remotes. The bottom part of both of my SRC2 remotes have spontaneously begun to leach a sticky substance. The plastic looks like it has melted. It feels gross, it collects dust, and worse, I'm afraid the chemical could be harmful if absorbed through the skin or ingested. I've never seen a piece of plastic degenerate like this before. I've not cleaned it with a solvent, they've been just sitting around in various rooms.
I have a bunch of remotes from different vendors that have done the same thing... I don't think it's harmful, but yeah, makes the remote useless. And I agree the fix is to replace the remote with another (universal/programmable). Buying a "new old stock" or used remote is likely to just suffer the same results.

I haven't checked the remote control forums to see if anyone came up with a method to 'fix' or remove the degraded plastic/coating that causes this. Might be worth a check.

EDIT: Quick scan of the interwebs says these coatings may be cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), with some folks suggesting the 99-100% concentration over the "rubbing" variety which is closer to 70%. I'll give it a try myself...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Last edited by jautor; 09-06-2016 at 02:42 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
EDIT: Quick scan of the interwebs says these coatings may be cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), with some folks suggesting the 99-100% concentration over the "rubbing" variety which is closer to 70%. I'll give it a try myself...
Thanks for the hint, I used 70% isopropyl alcohol and it worked! The underlying plastic looks bad but it's on the bottom side so I don't mind.

Just for the record, I picked up a Russound LRC1 remote on eBay before I saw this reply, and I can confirm that the LRC1 seems fully compatible with the SRC2 remote, at least for a UNO-S2/CAM6.6 system. The LRC1 is bigger and doesn't have backlit buttons, but the buttons are more solid and the lettering is more readable than the SRC2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page