Sonos connect amp or AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I need some info, please. I want to run both tv audio and internet music through a pair of speakers in our family room and also send the same source to a pair of patio speakers. The wires to the patio terminate in the family room, so no problem there. My questions are
1) If I use a Sonos amp, can I switch between the tv audio and internet by using iphone or pad?
2) It appears that you can't feed a digital tv audio signal to the sonos amp??? So, would have to use analog output from tv-seems strange that they don't have digital ins.
3) does anybody know if the sonos amp can output at 4 ohms?
I think it will be easier to select the music and get it running through the sonos vs an AVR with zone 2 amplification.
Am I correct?
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 356
An AVR with zone2 support and network services will also give you an "app" interface to control it, allow separate zones and surround sound support. Certainly the first thing you should have before adding perhaps a Sonos Connect as a source later - but you may find that the Internet streaming service support built into the AVR is sufficient.

The Sonos amp is 4-ohm stable - it's on their spec sheet.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

jautor, if I go with the avr, I have 2 questions. Looking at a marantz receiver.
1) do the apps for receivers allow you to view the music selections on your iPad or phone, so that you don't have to have the tv on to choose. In my old house, I was using a blurry player to access pandora, but each time I wanted to start to play or change the selection, I had to turn the tv on-with a sonos you see it on the control device, correct.
2) with a receiver, does it access internet directly (if Ethernet connected) or does it have to use airplay , thus necessitating using the apple device at the same time (thus draining the battery)?
Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

jautor, if I go with the avr, I have 2 questions. Looking at a marantz receiver.
1) do the apps for receivers allow you to view the music selections on your iPad or phone, so that you don't have to have the tv on to choose. In my old house, I was using a blurry player to access pandora, but each time I wanted to start to play or change the selection, I had to turn the tv on-with a sonos you see it on the control device, correct.

The apps have a user interface to browse / select content - a TV on-screen display should not be needed. But check screenshots or other review info for the receiver you're looking at to make sure.
Quote:
2) with a receiver, does it access internet directly (if Ethernet connected) or does it have to use airplay , thus necessitating using the apple device at the same time (thus draining the battery)?
Thanks again.

For their built-in streaming sources, they access the Internet service directly - the app is just a remote control. Some receivers support Bluetooth and/or AirPlay so you *can* stream from the phone - but as you point out, this is not the preferred solution compared to the built-in support...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Many thanks for the help.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Other than the PLAYBAR Sonos are not great for TV integration due to a processing delay the Zone Players introduce for external sources.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page