Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Are you surface mounting your boxes?

I have no issues with Home Depot, but I certainly wouldn't feed them money for their wall plates and their back boxes.

If your back boxes are going in the wall, then you should be using low-voltage trim rings for them. Home Depot has them (orange retro rings) - and they are pricey.

Since you have time, why not introduce yourself to Monoprice? They truly are a phenomenal web shop.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042507&p_id=7013&seq=1&format=2

Less than a buck each.

Two of these...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10517&cs_id=1051703&p_id=6725&seq=1&format=2
and one of these...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10517&cs_id=1051703&p_id=6727&seq=1&format=2

and these to go in them...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10426&cs_id=1042605&p_id=6542&seq=1&format=2

Less than a buck each as well.

It may or may not matter to you, but it saves you a bit of cash and gets you the right product. Definitely on the trim rings. But, there is nothing obviously incorrect beyond those handy boxes which I wouldn't use in a wall for about anything.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

...i ran a line from the service drop splitter into the ground about 4 feet.
That is not an appropriate ground. It needs to be bonded to the grounding electrode system for the AC.
post #33 of 45 Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are the GE 4-Way 2500Mhz Splitters good?
Today's GE isn't your father's GE, at least when it comes to CE products. The brand was sold long ago. That said, a GE splitter should be just fine. It is not like it is a high tech product.
Quote:
Should I just stick with buying Klien Tools brand...
Klein tools are fine IMHO. The brand has been around for a long time and the quality is still there.

You might want to consider low voltage rings instead of boxes. You need to observe the minimum bend radius for the coax. And it might be difficult is you use a box. If you don't have the manufacturer's specification, 10 times the diameter of the cable is usually safe.
post #34 of 45 Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Home Depot has them (orange retro rings) - and they are pricey.'
$1.36 picked up for Carlon at Home Depot is pricey v. monoprice $0.96 before shipping Chinese no-name?

Wadda ya got against the boxes at Home Depot? They carry the normal brands like Carlon and Raco.

FWIW IMHO monoprice is great for what it is, a reliable retailer of cheap Chinese goods at great prices. A lot of time that is all you need. Sometimes you need better. Not saying that is the case here. Either monoprice or your local big box store should do just fine.
post #35 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 260
$1.36? That's actually a lot better than I remember paying. I always remember getting gouged by them on the back boxes which drove me nuts. Still really high on the F-connector wall-plate which certainly is of similar quality. I pick and choose from Monoprice and tend to lean towards their premium products vs. their cheapest stuff which can often be downright lousy... But, I do strive to save a few bucks when I can and when the quality is appropriate.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #36 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If you are going to have any unused outputs on your splitter, it's a good idea to put a 75 ohm terminating resistor on the unused output(s). Supposed to prevent signal reflections. They're cheap.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #37 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

That is not an appropriate ground. It needs to be bonded to the grounding electrode system for the AC.

I cant mess with the service drop, so I'll call them and have them roll a truck out soon.

They'd need to install a Service Drop Box or something, the Only Box we have is the old Arris box next to our old AT&T Box from when they installed the old Cox Phone into our house before they integrated the phone with the Cable modems.

Like I Said, the Service drop is at least 30 years old, It may need to be re-done completely, because where they have the line Anchored, it's not safe at all.

There's LITERALLY No Service Drop box at all, it's the line from the pole, Anchored to the top of the garage roof, running along the roof edge to the back of the garage, where the line ends w/ a F-Type Connector and Rubber Cover. from There it was a Cheapo Female-Female Connector Anchored on the back wall of the garage, with 1 line running to the Living Area

We also still have the HUGE Filter on the Living Area Line, Someone told me what it was, but I don’t forgot, lol. (Taken when I was replacing Splitters):

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
post #38 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

If you are going to have any unused outputs on your splitter, it's a good idea to put a 75 ohm terminating resistor on the unused output(s). Supposed to prevent signal reflections. They're cheap.

Yeah, That's why i was gonnna just get a 3-way instead of a 4-way, because once I get the HTPC 6 Tuner Box working, the lower level will no longer need a Line for the DVR, so I can swap the line to the 2nd floor with the line to the Office DVR Line. So it would remain Living Area DVR, Modem, 6 Tuner HTPC (network Shared).

To avoid some issues, I may just use the raceways on the ceiling.

So I'll prolly only need the spool, splitter, CompressionKit and a service call to get them to check the Ground.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #39 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Since you have time, why not introduce yourself to Monoprice? They truly are a phenomenal web shop.

I originally learned about Monoprice from the guys on here. It is like the Aldi's of electronics, etc. They have a wide breath but a shallow depth but at least for me in MN, if Monoprice carries it, it is as good and a third the price or better of retail.
post #40 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Skate, there are a lot of different kinds of those filters used for different purposes. I would just take it off. Back in the 70's, (many brain cells ago) they were used to bring in premium channels and were usually mounted up on the pole so customers would not mess with them. Some people would climb the poles and would have the right tool to defeat the security sleeve around them and get free premium channels for themselves, friends, family, etc. I'm glad I didn't know anyone who would do such a thing. Just heard about it.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #41 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Skate, there are a lot of different kinds of those filters used for different purposes. I would just take it off. Back in the 70's, (many brain cells ago) they were used to bring in premium channels and were usually mounted up on the pole so customers would not mess with them. Some people would climb the poles and would have the right tool to defeat the security sleeve around them and get free premium channels for themselves, friends, family, etc. I'm glad I didn't know anyone who would do such a thing. Just heard about it.

I was told it was used to prevent PPV Channels from being re-broadcasted back over the lines. or something along those lines

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #42 of 45 Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Quote:

I was told it was used to prevent PPV Channels from being re-broadcasted back over the lines. or something along those lines
Cable companies used to put filters that looked like that in to 'solve' problems with noise in the return channel(s). It was a Band-Aid fix at best. Now a days they are a bit more professional and actually repair or replace the offending components. I know, I was a mitigation and sweep tech for many years.
post #43 of 45 Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll take your word for it....

The Only difference that *I* can see is with the filter Attached, the Cable Modem Cannot Sync and go online when connected to the outlet on that line. If i take the filter off the modem works fine.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #44 of 45 Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I'll take your word for it....

The Only difference that *I* can see is with the filter Attached, the Cable Modem Cannot Sync and go online when connected to the outlet on that line. If i take the filter off the modem works fine.
It's probably, then, either a high-pass or low-pass filter. Whichever it is, it blocks either the return path or forward path from communicating.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-26-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
No doubt blocks return.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version