Strategy HELP wiith Denon E400 and Russound CA4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I'd really love some plausible solutions with the issues that I'm facing. I'll make it as quick as possible while trying to be as detailed as possible.

GOAL:
1. I want to use my Denon E400 7.1 to run my Living Room Surround Sound (5.1 setup using Energy Take). I'll only be using Front RT & LT and Center. I'll be using Polk In-Wall RC65i for Surround RT & LT.

2. My house came prewired with audio and CAT % (volume control) for 4 zones. 2 Spkrs in Living Room, 2 Spkrs in Patio, 2 Spkrs in Kitchen, and 2 Spkrs in Master Bath.

3. My thought was to use Denon E400 Main Amp to run the surround and use the Denon E400 zone 2 as a source for the Russound.

4. I'd also like to share the Rear Surround Speakers in the Living room between the Surround Sound setup and for Ambient music Russound Setup.

PROBLEMS:
1. Not sure exactly how to hook-up the Russound to the Denon - My thoughts were to simply use the 2 channels of the 7.1 (since I'm only using 5.1 setup). I may need to buy a "speaker wire to RCA" converter or cable.

2. Not sure how to go about sharing the rear surround sound speakers. I'd like to have them in use for the surround but also want the ambient music (when not using surround) to flow thru them.

Any Ideas on how to do this and set it up. Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by benavidesg View Post

1. Not sure exactly how to hook-up the Russound to the Denon - My thoughts were to simply use the 2 channels of the 7.1 (since I'm only using 5.1 setup). I may need to buy a "speaker wire to RCA" converter or cable.

You don't mention what Russound system / unit you've got...

Regardless, you need the zone2 pre-amp output from the Denon (RCA jacks) to connect to your Russound unit as a source. Easy.
Quote:
2. Not sure how to go about sharing the rear surround sound speakers. I'd like to have them in use for the surround but also want the ambient music (when not using surround) to flow thru them.

Russound has you covered - connect the speaker outputs from both the Denon surrounds and Russound zone to a Russound AB-3.2:

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=1769

Done.

Jeff
benavidesg likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff, my apologies for the late posting on this. I really thought my reply emails to the notifications would get posted. Thank you so very much for the guidance and help.

1st ISSUE: Multi-source (Multi-Amp) to a single set of speakers. The Russound AB-3.2 you recommended is perfect. That is exactly what I need. I've ordered it and am awaiting it's arrival. I had some concerns about automatic switching when the music is too quite but it is my understanding that the sensitivity level can be adjusted to suit the need. Excited about getting it and will post after it arrives and I set it up.

So far, the Russound CA4 has worked flawlessly.

2nd ISSUE: Using the Denon AVR-E400 as a source for the Russound CA4 - While normally this would not be an issue, as it turns out, the Denon doesn't have any line level outs. In fact, hell, it only has one HDMI out and Subwoofer out. That's it. Nothing else.

So, what I did was purchase a "speaker level to line level converter", Convert "Zone 2" (Rear Surround speakers 6 & 7) to line level and connected them into the source RCA jacks in the Russound CA4.
CONCERN:
While everything seems to work great after I connected the Denon Speaker 6 & 7 (zone 2) out as the source to the Russound (speaker level to line level conversion) - my concern is running "Amped" speaker wires, albeit converted to line level, to another Amp (the Russound CA4).
QUESTIONS:
1. Is this a major problem - everything seems to be working well;
2. Is there a way to run the Zone 2 speaker wires from the Denon AVR-E400, in a Pre-Amped manner?
3.Is there a way, from within the Denon AVR-E400 to turn the amp off. I read something about "Amp Assign" but I wasn't too clear on the extent of it's functionality.
4.Is there another plausible solution?

Thanks guys for the help and education.

Gilbert
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Denon Avr E400
Gear in this thread - E400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page