Combining a Nuvo Concerto system with an Essentia system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to install a whole-home audio system in my new home being constructed. I am thinking about installing larger, more expensive in-ceiling speakers in the larger rooms of the house, while using smaller, less expensive speakers in the smaller secondary rooms. The larger speakers will need more watts and I am thinking about getting the Nuvo Concerto system which provides 80 watts per zone, and getting the Nuvo Essentia system, which provides 40 watts per zone, for the secondary rooms.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, and if so, have you been able to link the two systems together to make an integrated system for the whole house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
How many zones total?

The larger / smaller speakers (assuming you mean 8" vs. 5-6") won't change the equation much as they're not that different - it's more a difference of bass response / overall quality than power handling. And generally, the speaker costs are but a fraction of the total system cost - I wouldn't make my system design decisions on cost-savings on a few speakers.

You won't want to have two systems, as this will preclude the benefits of the display keypads, since the sources must be connected to a single system's NuVoNet. It's designed as a single "master" setup - you can't connect two systems together in the way you're suggesting. At least, if you did, you'd only get display/control on the keypads for one of the systems - which means you'd be wasting a lot of money on the second system since you're paying for that level of control. That will be the same answer for any similar system / brand, by the way.

If you have more than eight zones, a system expander will be a better choice - you can use the Essentia keypads with the GC if you're looking to shave some cost off of lesser-used zones.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

12 zones so we will need to go with the concerto expander system, thanks
post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, 12 zones is the perfect number for a GC + Expander, as you use 100% of the amplifier channels without needing anything extra. Have you wired every possible room / outdoor space for possible zones? As that system configuration can handle up to 16 with outboard amps and additional keypads - you've got "easy" upgrades to add a few more in the future. The wiring is cheap now...

Think about every room as a potential - including any patio / back yard space, garage / workshop, kitchen, etc. The wiring can be completely concealed if desired so if you never install a zone, you don't have to have blank plates around (if that bothers you).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Talk to some local installers/Nuvo dealers now, during construction, so you can make sure the correct cables are run before the drywall goes up.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Talk to some local installers/Nuvo dealers now, during construction, so you can make sure the correct cables are run before the drywall goes up.

Yes, my audio/video guy, who is a Nuvo dealer, will also be pulling all of the wiring.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yeah, 12 zones is the perfect number for a GC + Expander, as you use 100% of the amplifier channels without needing anything extra. Have you wired every possible room / outdoor space for possible zones? As that system configuration can handle up to 16 with outboard amps and additional keypads - you've got "easy" upgrades to add a few more in the future. The wiring is cheap now...

Think about every room as a potential - including any patio / back yard space, garage / workshop, kitchen, etc. The wiring can be completely concealed if desired so if you never install a zone, you don't have to have blank plates around (if that bothers you).

Jeff

Just double-checked Nuvo's website and it appears that the Grand Concerto now covers up to 8 zones, and 16 zones with the Expander, so I should be covered inside and outside.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The GC and Expander each provides 6 powered zones, and 2 unpowered. You'd use some extra amps to power the extras, if needed.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the MPS4 or MPS4E music server, an essential component. It would be your only source component, providing 4 streams.

I have a GC, the Expander, and an MPS4.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

The GC and Expander each provides 6 powered zones, and 2 unpowered. You'd use some extra amps to power the extras, if needed.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the MPS4 or MPS4E music server, an essential component. It would be your only source component, providing 4 streams.

I have a GC, the Expander, and an MPS4.

What amplifier would I need to get to power the 4 unpowered zones? Yes, I have already factored in the Music Port System.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2 View Post

What amplifier would I need to get to power the 4 unpowered zones?

NuVo has a couple of options, or there are lower-cost options that will work. You want an amplifier with a trigger on/off or automatic "music sense" operation. The NuVo "zone pack" that bundles an amp with an additional keypad is something to look at, as you'll want the keypad(s) regardless of the amp choice.

I'm using both a NuVo amp and a couple of AudioSource amplifiers - both work well.
Quote:
Yes, I have already factored in the Music Port System.

Good! I should have mentioned that as well...

post #11 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If you get the GC and Expander, you wouldn't need any additional amps, for your 12 zones. More than 12 - then yes.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Jautor - would you mind making suggestions on adding subwoofers to any zones? I'm honestly not familiar with the details myself, and could use a refresher. I actually searched through old posts for this yesterday, and couldn't find your recs.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page