Some help for a Video/audio system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here is my situation, we are trying to optimize the family room in my house for the best space. Unfortunately the wall that the tv would be best fit is in a tough location.

My basement is finished with my home theater, which will make it difficult to run wires but it can be done.

so what I am hoping for or trying to figure out..

The tv in my family room will need 3 devices

Cable box, HTPC, PS3.

The home theater room will hopefully share the cable box.

Luckily when I built my home theater I ran a 1 cat 6 cable from htpc to switch in my work area for internet.

1 option I see is to

run 3 50ft hdmi cables to tv in family room
a splitter for the cable box and a hdbaset w ethernet extender to the home theater.

another option is

1 hdmi cable to tv in family room
hdbaset with ethernet to hometheater room
with this matrix switch.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091403&p_id=10226&seq=1&format=2

The only issue with the one above is no reviews on the device also the specs on it are very limited especially since it is a newer hdbaset device.

The big thing I want is transparency to wife.

So any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-27-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I can't speak to the Monoprice integrated unit, but I will say that I just (last Wednesday/Thursday) installed a Geffen Toolbox 4x2 HDMI matrix switch which is fed by two Monoprice HD-Base-T units from a conference room table and then hits the 4x2 matrix, and the OUTPUTS go to two 70" LCD displays which are fed by HD-Base-T (Monoprice). So, table interface, HD-Base-T, matrix switcher, HD-Base-T, television...

Oh yeah, AND I'm extracting analog audio off the HDMI cable using the Monoprice HDMI audio converter (works great!).

So, I would expect that if you change a source in the theater when the family room is on, you will have to deal with blanking issues - both TV and projector will blank while HDCP is renegotiated. Otherwise, I would expect satisfactory results. Read the reviews of their HDMI matrix switcher to see how they have done in that area so far.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response. I am going to give the unit a shot and see if I can get it working well. Will go through a testing phase.

this seems to be there next generation, so hopefully there kinks are worked out.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I received the unit, and so far it is doing what I need it to do.

The instructions are very bare but with this type of unit it is straight forward. My setup for my stuff is not done so it is going through testing 24/7 on and using it only for my pvr to 2 locations.

I did notice what people are talking about in terms of blanking. If one of the outputs switches the other display blanks then returns. This will be a non issue for me since I will only be using one or the other tv at a time.

When all is done I will have 3 devices hooked up to it, feeding 2 tv's

So far so good.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page