Pre-wiring during new home construction.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I'm in the process of doing a new home construction and am looking at pre-wiring for A/V. The house will come pre-wired with RG6 and CAT5 in every room which is a good thing I guess. However, here's my dream setup. We are still months away from even breaking ground, so thankfully, I've been thinking about this....

Audio:
Sonos and I don't need the units hard plugged into ethernet. I already have a lot of sonos components (play 5 x 5, paly 3 x 2, sub, bridge) and love it. Too easy.
Sonos is for music only; I don't do surround sound e.t.c. connected to the tv

Internet:
I do like the fact that I'll have ethernet connections in every room just in case but I'll have a wireless router in the basement. Most likely, a range extender on the 2nd floor hard plugged into one of the ethernet jacks.

Video:
Directv whole home
I don't do blu-ray/dvd/movies on a hard drive/apple tv e.t.c.
I don't do any surround sound audio connected to the tv (as stated above)

Controller:
Roomie Remote + IP2IR(multiple maybe).

Ideal setup:

Audio is easy. Video is my issue. I will have TVs in 6 rooms each with it's own directv box, but all connected via their whole home dvr. However, what I really want is:

- A rack in the basement that contains all my equipment. That is, all 6 directv boxes, wireless router, sonos bridge, IP2IR(s), NAS. So no directv boxes in each room with it's associated tv.
- somehow, in the basement, the directv boxes can be plugged into the system via their own rg6 as if they were in their own rooms. So some type of rg6 hub in the basement?
- somehow, from that basement location, run some type of HDMI cable to each of those 6 rooms; so that in each room, all I need to do is connect an HDMI cable from an outlet to the tv.
- somehow, from that basement location, run some type of IR cable to each of those 6 rooms; so that in each room, all i need to do is plug an IR emitter from some jack to the tv.

This way, I can simply use roomie remote and control any and all tv's. The directv boxes will be controlled via connection directly to the router. Power on/off and control of the tvs via the IP2IR and the IR emitters connected to each tv. .

So I guess my questions are:
- Is my dream setup a pipe dream?
- What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by labfm View Post

So I guess my questions are:
- Is my dream setup a pipe dream?

IMO, yes.

Only because of the use of Roomie (or any app-based remote) for all rooms and "everyday" TV watching. Touchscreens are excellent for theaters / audio / automation, but suck for basic TV control. Highly recommend you try one of those setups on your primary TV and force yourself AND all your family members to use it and only it for a week...
Quote:
- What do you think?

HDBaseT extenders can centralize the DirecTV boxes for $200 per TV / box pair. Which includes IR repeating to the central location (but not the other way). You need to think about why you're locating those boxes remotely - is it just for aesthetics? The newest DirecTV boxes are very small, and can be hidden behind TVs, for example...

Concentrate at this stage on pre-wiring and making sure you can accommodate any system plans. You mention RG6 and cat5e in every room - if you're thinking about distributed video you'll want more wire than that for the future. Also, since you're already into the Sonos gear, you should be pre-wiring for speakers and turn those into a "whole house audio" (WHA) setup.

Read the Wiring Your House 101 doc, too:

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 13
+1 to Jautor's comments.

DirecTV's whole home DVR system should be small enough to fit behind your TV, so you won't need to put them in the rack. But if you do put them on the rack, and depending on the length of your runs, you might be able to get away with some of the long HDMI cables with Redmere. Check out the ones on Monoprice. I think they go up to about 50 feet. This would be much cheaper than getting the HDBaseT extenders. And to control everything, you can go with Roomie/iRule and use the wifi to IR devices. Or look at Logitech's new remotes. They have a similar system that uses a remote with physical buttons and works over wifi.

Side note... make sure the low voltage guy terminates with Cat 5 jacks (assuming that's what you want). My condo is wired for data with Cat 6 runs to every room... but he terminated into damn Cat 3 jacks. So now I'm yanking out the Cat 3 jacks and replacing them as needed.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

IMO, yes.

Only because of the use of Roomie (or any app-based remote) for all rooms and "everyday" TV watching. Touchscreens are excellent for theaters / audio / automation, but suck for basic TV control. Highly recommend you try one of those setups on your primary TV and force yourself AND all your family members to use it and only it for a week...

Well I disagree, simply because in my current home, we use roomie remote for 3 tvs exclusively. The iPads are exclusive to those tvs, ipad screen stays on, and 2 ipads are on launchports (i know , i know...very expensive but very useful). It works very, very well for us today.

The problem is cords, wires and boxes and in the new house, would love to not have it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Concentrate at this stage on pre-wiring and making sure you can accommodate any system plans. You mention RG6 and cat5e in every room - if you're thinking about distributed video you'll want more wire than that for the future. Also, since you're already into the Sonos gear, you should be pre-wiring for speakers and turn those into a "whole house audio" (WHA) setup.

Read the Wiring Your House 101 doc, too:

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

Jeff

We are very simple people. The whole distributed video thing will simply never be in our plans in all honesty. Same goes for hardwiring for audio. We will never need it. Sonos speakers are really all we will ever need.

The one flexibility we do want in this new system is, we want the rg6 outlets to be "active" in each room so that if need be, we can simply go back to standard setup and have the boxes connected in each room.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
We are very simple people. The whole distributed video thing will simply never be in our plans in all honesty. Same goes for hardwiring for audio. We will never need it. Sonos speakers are really all we will ever need.

Never hurts to plan for the future... and the future is coming fast.

HDBaseT allows you to send an HD signal over longer distances via ethernet. Here's the kicker: the HDBaseT Alliance was created by Samsung, Sony, LG and others. If Sammy and his friends have it their way, in the near future, you'll no longer need those costly HDMI cables... everything will work over a single ethernet cable. Sammy is even building this technology into some of their TVs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDBaseT

Next to electrical wires, the most important wire you can run is Cat5e/6. Run it... EVERYWHERE. It's so damn cheap.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks to you both...
Well I disagree, simply because in my current home, we use roomie remote for 3 tvs exclusively. The iPads are exclusive to those tvs, ipad screen stays on, and 2 ipads are on launchports (i know , i know...very expensive but very useful). It works very, very well for us today.

As long as you've lived with it and it works for you, go for it!
Quote:
The problem is cords, wires and boxes and in the new house, would love to not have it like that.

Get your house wired for wall-mounting the TVs at the same time, then. If you're going to remote the gear solely for aesthetics, make sure all the wires are hidden (including power). I pre-installed wall mount TV locations in most rooms (and added one later).
Quote:
We are very simple people.

No, you're not. :Simple people don't use iPads to control their TVs... biggrin.gif
Quote:
The whole distributed video thing will simply never be in our plans in all honesty.

You'll be doing all the same wiring if you remote the gear. "Potential" goes a long way.
Quote:
Same goes for hardwiring for audio. We will never need it. Sonos speakers are really all we will ever need.

But you like the hidden gear, right? A Sonos Connect:Amp hidden away, with "architectural" in-wall or in-ceiling speakers makes a completely invisible music system...
Quote:
The one flexibility we do want in this new system is, we want the rg6 outlets to be "active" in each room so that if need be, we can simply go back to standard setup and have the boxes connected in each room.

They don't have to be connected, but everything will be home-run to a central location. It's simply a matter of moving / connecting a cable in the closet to change the configuration. Won't be an issue...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #7 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

OK...so, aside from the fact that you don't agree with the setup, your recommendation is cat5 and coax like crazy.....for example 3-4 cat5's per room?

If I do that, then i'll have the flexibility to change "in the future". So the question is, with 3-4 cat5's per room, can I accomplish my setup? That means I'll need to get HDMI/IR over cat5.
Let me start reading some other threads to see how this can be done....
post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK...so, aside from the fact that you don't agree with the setup, your recommendation is cat5 and coax like crazy.....for example 3-4 cat5's per room?

Yep!

(and the only thing I don't like about your setup idea is the *exclusive* use of mobile/tablet devices for TV control...)
Quote:
If I do that, then i'll have the flexibility to change "in the future". So the question is, with 3-4 cat5's per room, can I accomplish my setup?

Yes. 2-3 cat5e / cat6 drops per display location, plus at least one RG6 for future flexibility, and you can do what you want, or just about any other distribution setup.
Quote:
That means I'll need to get HDMI/IR over cat5.

Many HDMI-over-cat5e solutions have IR repeating built-in. I believe Gefen or Atlona or someone of that caliber has "bi-directional" IR support which would do exactly what you need. Two cat5e cables can solve the problem, three might allow you to solve it for a lower total cost.

Jeff

post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff/others..

So i've decided to definitely go the cat6/coax route. I've been reading more on hdmi over cat5/6, hdbaset e.t.c. I do have a question that I've not seen yet. I'm trying to rationalize the ridiculous pricing for HDbaseT matrix switchers, for example an 8x8 being over $5k. But these still need the HDbaseT receivers on the other end for the tvs.

Have people tried using regular 8x8 hdmi matrix switches, then plugging the outputs into HDbaseT extenders (transmitter + receiver)?

Thanks
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page