Recommended wall volume control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am installing some in-ceiling speakers in a few rooms and need volume controls for each room (6 rooms total). As far as I know, I don't need impendance matching controls because I am using a 12-channels amp (Speakercraft BB1235).

Would one of the rotary volume controls on Monoprice be good?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090301&p_id=8242&seq=1&format=2

Or would this be better?

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AE100VC-Impedance-Matching-Control/dp/B003H3C94W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375194996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Doesn't matter which one you pick.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

..... I don't need impendance matching controls because I am using a 12-channels amp (Speakercraft BB1235)........

Actually, it's primarily the way you connect the speakers that dictates whether you need any form of impedance matching - the basic concept is to present a viable load to the amplifier(s). If you are just running one speaker per amplifier channel, and they are typical 4 or 8 ohm loudspeaker units, like ifor said, it won't matter which of the two options you pick. If you decided to "pair up" speakers, so that multiple units share a common amplifier channel, then you'd need to get into impedance matching - having this flexibility would sway me towards getting a volume control with this capability.

I'm not familiar with your SpeakerCraft amplifier, but it will indicate somewhere (manual and/or rear panel) what its acceptable loading range actually is.

You probably know this, but the Monoprice unit actually does have impedance matching functionality too - both units you listed use internal jumpers to allow for a variety of speaker loads and configurations. There are some volume controllers that detect the loading & adjust the impedance automatically, but I always question the additional cost of these versus just switching jumpers.

So bottom-line is: both would do what you want (and give you impedance matching should you ever need it in the future).

Dave
post #5 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

So the $15 Monoprice one will work just as well as the $30 AudioSource? No point in really spending the extra money? Does one have better build quiality etc?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM
DGF

Short of seeing both units, I have no idea of the relative build qualities, but like I said, both are from reputable sources, so there is no 'wrong' choice. I personally would buy the MP unit - I've had nothing but good experiences with all the purchases I've made from them and the price difference, especially if you are buying multiple units, is compelling.

FWIW, I actually do have a MonoPrice volume controller, but I'm not 100% sure that it's the model you linked to - my unit has been installed in a bathroom ( = less than optimal conditions) for about 5 years and has performed flawlessly.

D
post #7 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

Actually, it's primarily the way you connect the speakers that dictates whether you need any form of impedance matching - the basic concept is to present a viable load to the amplifier(s). If you are just running one speaker per amplifier channel, and they are typical 4 or 8 ohm loudspeaker units, like ifor said, it won't matter which of the two options you pick. If you decided to "pair up" speakers, so that multiple units share a common amplifier channel, then you'd need to get into impedance matching - having this flexibility would sway me towards getting a volume control with this capability.

I'm not familiar with your SpeakerCraft amplifier, but it will indicate somewhere (manual and/or rear panel) what its acceptable loading range actually is.

You probably know this, but the Monoprice unit actually does have impedance matching functionality too - both units you listed use internal jumpers to allow for a variety of speaker loads and configurations. There are some volume controllers that detect the loading & adjust the impedance automatically, but I always questions the additional cost of these versus just switching jumpers.

So bottom-line is: both would do what you want (and give you impedance matching should you ever need it in the future).

Dave

lol, took you a lot to say what I did in six words.

Not hating, just laughing.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM
DGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

lol, took you a lot to say what I did in six words.

Not hating, just laughing.

I did acknowledge your admirably succinct post! smile.gif

Sometimes it takes more than a "trust-me" type of reply...... and a more lengthy response is definitely preferable to working on a particularly onerous task I'm meant to be focusing on here in the office!

Sure beats working.....and I'm the boss!
post #9 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Succinct: I would go with Monoprice. biggrin.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Monoprice it is, just placed an order. Thanks for everyone's help.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, how did it work for you?

Before reading this thread, I spend $45 on a Speakercraft volume control. Will be installing this weekend.

Brady
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page