TV On Patio, Easy Way To Set Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have Dish Networks Hopper w Sling and Joey system. Every once in a while we like to take our spare 26" Sony LCD outside to enjoy in the fresh air. The way it is set up now, every time we do this we have to take 1 of the Joeys from another TV to watch programs that are not over the air. I have 2 coaxs outside, 1 over the air and 1 that is connected to the Dish's Node. I also have a Cat5e connection there.

What I am getting around to asking is "How can I just take the TV outside without a Joey or Hopper?" Behind my Family Room Hopper are a spare cat5 and coax. What is the easiest way to do this? Also I have 2 speakers out there connected to the B terminals on my receiver which I use for audio from the Hopper.

I hear people on this Forum talking about HDMI over cat5. Is this the way to go? I'm Listening. Any ideas would be appreciated.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
HDBaseT from Monoprice...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

There are also component video + audio over a single cat5, and other HDMI solutions (non-HDBaset). The single-cable component video solution may be the best way to go, as it will be the cheapest and you won't run into HDCP / common denominator issues, nor require an HDMI splitter or other equipment. This assumes the Hopper has a simultaneous component video output.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

jautor, thanks for the response, but $189 is a little more than I expected to spend to do this. And yes, the Hopper also has a component video and analog audio out.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the single-cat5e component video solution, which at $60 will be the cheapest HD solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-B136-101-Component-Extender/dp/B003UT7TJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375320062&sr=8-1&keywords=tripp+lite+component

Folks have had some mixed results with these, but "shorter runs are better" seems to be the rule...

Note that you'll probably want an RF remote (or convert one with the Next Generation extender) for use outside, too.
Skytrooper likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Hopper's Remote is a combo RF and Analog. I can easily change channels with it. My Sony Receiver is IR, which requires me to point it thru the patio door for the volume control. No biggie since I usually don't play with the volume that much when I am out there. Thanks for the info, jautor.

post #6 of 12 Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you're not worried about having HD picture, the cheapest solution would be a $10 RF Modulator from the RCA jacks backfed through the extra coax cable. The RCA cables go from the hopper to the modulator and the TV out from the modulator goes into the spare coax which gets connected directly together with the cable going out to the patio, which means disconnecting the right cable from the splitter attached to the node. If you don't know which one is which then you can plug a joey in the patio jack and try disconnecting one cable from the splitter at a time until the joey loses connection to the hopper.

http://amzn.com/B0014KKV7W
post #7 of 12 Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks acesat, but I am going to go with jautor's suggestion, I gotta have High Def. Have not got around to it yet, but when I do I will report back.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

jautor, I ordered those extenders you suggested. I searched around and your suggestion seemed like the best bet. Let you know when they arrive.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another easy way t go would be with the slingbox you mentioned. I'd assume you have either a iphone / android or ipad /tablet? They all have hdmi adapters and it would just require wifi (power too). You could also AirPlay it to an Apple TV on the wifi network. Forget about adapters you just need wifi.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

dtommyD, thanks for the suggestion but I already have a unused wired connection behind my Hopper and a wired connection on my patio. All I will have to do is put a CAT5E patch cable in my main wiring closet between those 2 connections and I will have a straight shot from my Hopper to the patio. I am so glad now I added extra Cat 5's when I wired my new Family Room.

Also I am kinda old school and don't have a need for any of that I Stuff or Smart Phones at the moment.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

jautor, thanks for the advice on the Component Out Extenders. They work like a champ. I am now cap

able enjoying the stereo audio of my receiver and hookup of my 26" LCD is a snap.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You probably need to get your remote fixed, it shouldn't be putting out enough energy to start a fire like that! eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page