structured wiring between buildings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm hoping I can get some advise here. This year I built a 12' x 24' "shed/barn" in my back yard. I didn't have them run electric or any kind of utilities to the shed when the built it. I've since run 3 2" PVC pipes from the side of the house where the utilities come in to the side of the shed (they are litterally just sticking up ouf the ground and capped off for now). I have:

1 for Electric (for a sub panel in the shed)
1 for Structured wiring (ethernet, speaker wires, cable, etc.)
1 for Gas (not actually for the shed, but I plan on having a gas tank, so the pvc is merely there for them to pull the gas line from the house to behind the shed/barn where the tank will be)

I'm not concerned right now with the gas as I will get recommendations from the gas company on that one (I let them know I would be running the PCV in preparation and they were ok with it since I was going to be resodding before the gas line would be put in, and I wasn't ready to add the gas lines yet). For the electric, I will likely have an electrician come in and do the final hookups and run the power in the PVC (electrician recommended the PVC, so I'm thinking he's ok with it)

My major concern is I have a 2" pipe sticking out of the ground near the shed and the house and I"m starting to wonder how do I tie that connection into the house. I will need to run it up to the attic on the outside of the house (the wires are run in the attic for the rest of the house). The only thing I can think of to junction the inside to the outside is either a PVC LB:

or maybe doing something like this person did here (source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26250317-Structured-wiring.-How-to-get-from-outside-to-in-)

If anyone is curious why I'm doing this, I have a pretty good reason. When I decided to build it, it was meant to be a shed (only needed electric which my electrician said he could add any time I wanted). We've since found out we are expecting and since I work from home, I though at some point I may want to divide the building in half and make it my Home office, freeing up a room for another bedroom or to use as a playroom for the two youngest boys. I woudl also separate me from the "noise" of home life when I needed it for work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM

You can terminate into the buildings with the elbow or what is called a Hoffman Box, similar to what is in the picture. I would do an elbow if you are concerned with aesthetics, but you can do the box as well. Either way will be fine. Congrats by the way!!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10

I am extremely interested in the replies we get to this.  In the UK the regulations will not allow us to undertake electricity or gas installations unless we are approved.  I know on my own shed building projects I have always had to use a qualified electrician to 'hook up' to the power.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynr99 View Post

I am extremely interested in the replies we get to this.  In the UK the regulations will not allow us to undertake electricity or gas installations unless we are approved.  I know on my own shed building projects I have always had to use a qualified electrician to 'hook up' to the power.

I called the local building department to ask how deep the PVC has to be for the Gas and Electric (gas from the back of the shed to the house and electric to the shed from the house). When I asked how deep the Electric had to be even if it is in PVC the guy said "Why do you care? Just do it any depth you want to. It's not like we'll ever know!" I was a bit shocked by this, but I was very persistent and he eventually gave me the code. I will likely have the electrician hook up the power, but the structured wiring doesn't have any kind of codes around here. I could probably lay it on the ground and it wouldn't matter. That being said, I still went 18" below grade with 3 PVC pipes: Gas, Electric, and LV.

That all being said, when it comes to actually running the Gas, I will be calling someone in. I'm not gonna take the risk. For the electric, I will have someone come in and at the minimum hook up the power (I can pull the cable). As it is now, it is about $400 for the 10/3 for the length I need (I want 2 phase in case I add an A/C in the future since 1/2 the building might be my new office). I may opt to not go UF and just do singe wires (since i used Schedule 40 PVC that I sealed at all the joints). This will allow me to get an even thicker cable in there (though 10 guage will allow for 55amps).

In the end, I think I'll call a couple of electricians and see what they say for bringing into the house and shed. They may have an idea I've not thought of yet. Right now it's on hold though since the baby is just a month old and free time is at a minimum. Unfortunately this project has yet again taken a back seat to other ones frown.gif Didn't help that tiles just started falling off the boy's bathroom wall...FML!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 12
OP, if it matters...I used the top pic you posted (junction box) to run electric wire out to lamp post / flag pole / etc a few years back. Worked quite well and I would def use the same thing if I had to run LV wire out to my shed (which I will at some point some day..lol)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

OP, if it matters...I used the top pic you posted (junction box) to run electric wire out to lamp post / flag pole / etc a few years back. Worked quite well and I would def use the same thing if I had to run LV wire out to my shed (which I will at some point some day..lol)

Thanks, M1chael. That was the direction i was leading as of lately. While the 2.5" ones seem bulky for bringing the cable into my attic on the house, I think they will be the best bet and make it easier to rerun bad cables or run new ones if needed. Luckily for the Electric, I already have a box on the outside of the house that I had the electrician add when I was adding a new bathroom. so I won't need to use one for the electric. I'm thinking I'll use it for both the LV and the Gas (since the gas will run into the attic).
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 10

The saying 'it never rains but it pours' springs to mind. I don't know about you but sometimes I wish I could clone myself lol.  Good luck with the baby, projects can wait ;)

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page