dish receiver with no outlet and no way to run a coax cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to get a signal to the receiver box for my dish tv. I have a powerline 1000mbps network run there that has enough bandwidth to stream 1080p 3d movies from my NAS in another room about 300ft away to my boxee box with no issues. Is there anyway I can use that existing connection to somehow get the signal to the dish receiver? I have also heard about these homerun systems but I want to make sure its 1080 and I am not sure if it would even work. Also I have heard about some coax to ethernet solutions but not sure if that is what i would need or if they are HD thank you so much for everything I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

You have to use coax to get the signal from the dish to the receiver.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I can find a way to run a new cable.

Let me get my sledge...

Seriously, you can run new cables. It's easier and cheaper than you think. The biggest hurdle is painting. You can find someone to paint a wall for cheap.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

we are renting so I wish I could just make some alterations but we cannot do anything to the house. The wall is on a detached open floor plan kitchen so no way to get the wire to it and no basement to access and no attic either. I may have misspoke the direct tv reciever doesnt need to be in the room it can be somewhere else as I have a harmony with RF remote and receiver. Thank you again everyone.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesup_22 View Post

we are renting so I wish I could just make some alterations but we cannot do anything to the house. The wall is on a detached open floor plan kitchen so no way to get the wire to it and no basement to access and no attic either.

Ok, now we know the reasons (we're just guessing without info...)
Quote:
I may have misspoke the direct tv reciever doesnt need to be in the room it can be somewhere else as I have a harmony with RF remote and receiver. Thank you again everyone.

Ok, so it's DirecTV, not "dish" (aka Dish Network), and you're trying to get a wireless link from a satellite receiver / set-top box to a TV (not from the dish to the receiver). The good news is that now that you've explained which provider you have, and the correct scenario, there will be (soon) a simple solution. Upgrade to the DirecTV "Genie" DVR setup, and use the (soon to be released) C41W wireless client:

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206417-dbstalk-exclusive-first-look-the-wireless-genie-client-c41w-100-wireless-video-bridge/

So hang on for a few weeks (hopefully), and there will be a good answer. In the meantime, if you're not already using the Genie, you might want to get that upgrade finished so you're ready for the additional client...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. Any word on reliability/quality of the wireless stream?

I couldn't get the linked PDF, in the dbstalk thread.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Oh, you may have to be registered on the forum? Does this one work:

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/C41W-100R.pdf

Otherwise, there's a review on SolidSignal's forum, too:

http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/4792-Solid-Signal-s-Hands-on-Review-DIRECTV-C41W-Wireless-Genie-Client

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Ok, now we know the reasons (we're just guessing without info...)
Ok, so it's DirecTV, not "dish" (aka Dish Network), and you're trying to get a wireless link from a satellite receiver / set-top box to a TV (not from the dish to the receiver). The good news is that now that you've explained which provider you have, and the correct scenario, there will be (soon) a simple solution. Upgrade to the DirecTV "Genie" DVR setup, and use the (soon to be released) C41W wireless client:

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206417-dbstalk-exclusive-first-look-the-wireless-genie-client-c41w-100-wireless-video-bridge/

So hang on for a few weeks (hopefully), and there will be a good answer. In the meantime, if you're not already using the Genie, you might want to get that upgrade finished so you're ready for the additional client...

Jeff

I am an idiot sorry. I do have dish not direct.... yes just the signal from set top box to tv sorry again
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Jeff. Heh, I wasn't logged in at dbstalk. wink.gif

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page