NUVO Grand Concerto - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to decide on what system is best for my fit in home audio distribution.

After reading lots of information about Niles/Russound/Nuvo, decided to go with Nuvo audio system.

I read the manual for the install but still had few question and wanted to see if I can get help from here.

1. I currently have 11 zone, the GC supports upto 8 zones. I wanted to see if there is way to pair the zones into 1 zone without another controller. I know in the configuration software you can combine zones but I would need seperate controller to assign each zones. Is there other system I can use instead of controller to power up the speakers and combine zones?
If I order another controller then I would have 16 zones and do not need more than 11 zones.

2. The software for GC, is this included when you purchase the product? if not is there way to obtaining it?

Thank you for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsonline012 View Post

1. I currently have 11 zone, the GC supports upto 8 zones. I wanted to see if there is way to pair the zones into 1 zone without another controller. I know in the configuration software you can combine zones but I would need seperate controller to assign each zones.

You can combine rooms into a single zone to fit into the 8 available zones if that is acceptable. I'm doing this in a few rooms now to avoid the purchase of the expander... You can add keypads and assign more than one to a zone to allow for control - and to "be ready" to add the expander later...
Quote:
Is there other system I can use instead of controller to power up the speakers and combine zones?
If I order another controller then I would have 16 zones and do not need more than 11 zones.

You don't buy another controller, you buy the "Expander" which adds 8 more zones to the system. Note that since each box has 6 powered zones, adding the expander gives you a total of 12 powered zones - which actually matches your needs very well...
Quote:
2. The software for GC, is this included when you purchase the product? if not is there way to obtaining it?

It should be obtained from the dealer that sells you the product. It's not in the box. Worst case, you can request it from NuVo tech support - they have provided it in the past to DIY customers - YMMV....

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jautor for the reply.

I actually was hoping that you would be the one to reply.

The first option in combining rooms into single zone.. how does install look?
Example, I can combine 1st floor into one zone but there are 3 pairs of speakers = totaling 6.
In order to power them up into one zone, Do I need amp that connects 3 pairs of speaker and out puts into One zone into Nuvo GC?

Again, Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first option in combining rooms into single zone.. how does install look?
Example, I can combine 1st floor into one zone but there are 3 pairs of speakers = totaling 6.
In order to power them up into one zone, Do I need amp that connects 3 pairs of speaker and out puts into One zone into Nuvo GC?

First, you home-run everything so that you can "un-combine" rooms later - same for wiring for the keypads in each room. So the combination is done at the amp end.

For three pairs of speakers you'd want to use an external amp (for capacity) and a simple impedance-matching speaker selector. RadioShack has a 2-3 pair version that will do the trick. Connect all three pairs to the selector, then to the amp, and you're done. So if you can combine three rooms into one zone and two other rooms into a zone, you can "fit" into a base GC unit with two external amps. With two pairs of 8-ohm speakers and a 4-ohm-stable amp, you can skip the speaker selector, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info jautor. That makes perfect sense.
I will go that route for now and look for the amp.

For the amp would nuvo D460 work? or Do I need different amp brand?
I understand that the simple impedance-matching speaker selector will match at same ohm level, so I would guess 8-ohm stable amp would do the trick? or do I need to go with 4-ohm stable amp?

Also for the software, I'm actually purchasing the system with software.

Question is software might be older version, would older version software work?

Once I receive the unit, I will update the status of install.

Thank you!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the amp would nuvo D460 work? or Do I need different amp brand?

Any amp will work, the D460 is a great fit, though. 3rd party amps can be found cheaper - but you'll want one with a 12V trigger or automatic on/off. The D460 is a very nice piece and is in the proper rack form factor.
Quote:
I understand that the simple impedance-matching speaker selector will match at same ohm level, so I would guess 8-ohm stable amp would do the trick? or do I need to go with 4-ohm stable amp?

The D460, for example, is 4 or 8-ohm stable and is switch-selectable. If you're connecting two pairs of 8-ohm speakers, a 4-ohm stable amp is the simplest solution. For 3 or more pairs, you'll need an impedance-matching device regardless.
Quote:
Also for the software, I'm actually purchasing the system with software. Question is software might be older version, would older version software work?

The software hasn't changed much (only minor bug fixes in the last year or two), but if you're buying the unit from a dealer, there's no reason they can't provide (download) the latest version. But any version will probably do what you need done regardless...

Jeff

post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff!

I will update progress once I receive the system!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page