New (to us) home- Whole house audio controller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We just moved into a new (to us) home that has an existing whole house audio system and a separate 5.1 setup in the basement

Living Room - 4 speakers
Master Bedroom - 1 speaker
Deck - 2 speakers
Basement - 3 speakers

Total of 11 speakers in 4 zones.

Basement is also wired for seperate 5.1

There are no wall controllers, and all of the wiring goes to a built in cabinet in the living room. The previous owners used a Russound 4 pair speaker selector and a receiver to drive this setup, but that doesn't seem optimal for what i need. I plan to drive the 5.1 system with my Denon 3312ci using Roomie Remote and would like something to drive the whole house audio with an ipad/airplay as well. I am fine with the same source going to all zones.

What is the best amplifier / distribution option for me? I would like to stay under $1500 if I can.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
How are those 3 basement speakers wired?

For a bit more money ($2k), you could get quite a nice setup using either four Sonos Connect:Amp units, or a NuVo P3100 and P100 set to give you four independent zones, all controlled from iOS/Android. And both contain built-in support for lots of Internet services as well as good digital library support.

A cheaper choice would be a keypad-less system from HTD.com with the HTDNet add-on and app, but that doesn't provide any sources for that money. Add one or two Sonos Connect units as sources, though, and you'd be there. However, the usability of switching between apps for volume / source / on / off and music browsing isn't so great - especially for family members. The NuVo or Sonos setups would be all self-contained in one simple app and will get used like crazy...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. First off, I am not sure how the basement speakers are wired (I still have some investigation to do!). I have labeled speaker wires for the Living Room, and Master Bedroom. Then I have four speaker wires that are not labeled, two of which are taped together. This means I have a total of 9 speaker wires, but 11 speakers...not sure what to make of that.

The Sonos looks really interesting. I like the fact that it seems very flexible, and I could add amps over time since it is a little over budget. I was also looking at the Russound MCAC5 for $1400 from Amazon, but then I would need a Sonos connect on top of that. What would be the advantage of the Russound/NuVo vs the Sonos Connect:Amp units?
post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkp2k View Post

The Sonos looks really interesting. I like the fact that it seems very flexible, and I could add amps over time since it is a little over budget. I was also looking at the Russound MCAC5 for $1400 from Amazon, but then I would need a Sonos connect on top of that. What would be the advantage of the Russound/NuVo vs the Sonos Connect:Amp units?

The NuVo wireless units (P100 / P200) are direct competitors to the Sonos Connect:Amp. The NuVo P3100 is three P100's in one box - since you have the wiring centralized, that makes it a simpler / cleaner installation, but yes, 3x the price. biggrin.gif So yes, with either of those systems, you could start with one or more units and add additional zones over time.

You can use the Sonos Connect as a source to any of the WHA systems - the issue is that the control methods then span either keypads and a mobile app, or two different mobile apps (one for music selection the other for on/off/volume). If the Internet / digital library source(s) fit your needs (which for most folks they do these days), the simple, easy-to-use integrated solution that the Sonos or NuVo units provides is really hard to beat.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page