In-ceiling speaker location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-01-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys:

I have a simple question regarding installing the in-ceiling speakers. How you normally determine the location of the speakers?
I thought about 2 options. Option one is installing the left and right speaker at 1/3 and 2/3 of ceiling's width.
Option two is install them at 1/4 and 3/4 of ceiling's width. Maybe hard to understand me as I describe. Please see the attached two pictures.
Speaker is 6.5"
My room is 12x12', There is a light in the center.
How would you install them? smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Either one would be acceptable.

Check the location of the ceiling joists, if you haven't already. They may help you decide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 16
Right, so I based locations of my whole house audio on the seating areas or area that you'd be most likely to be when listening. May not have been exactly in the center of the room but makes the most sense for listening. I don't think there's a canned response to this.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 10
I have a similar question on speakers in the ceiling. I was thinking on NOT placing ceiling speakers along the center-line of my dining room. I would still use the 1/3 rule for placement along the longer wall but place them 2-3 feet from this wall. This would allow conversations to take place at the table without the feeling of music directly overhead. A dumb idea or what?

Thanks for the help!

Here's to "future-proofing" ... $$$.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbex55 View Post

I have a similar question on speakers in the ceiling. I was thinking on NOT placing ceiling speakers along the center-line of my dining room. I would still use the 1/3 rule for placement along the longer wall but place them 2-3 feet from this wall. This would allow conversations to take place at the table without the feeling of music directly overhead. A dumb idea or what?

Thanks for the help!

You want the speakers over the long axis of the dining table. The "music from overhead" is consistent for everyone at the table that way, as you're all at a similar distance from the closest speaker. If it's too loud - turn it down! biggrin.gif

Placing the speakers elsewhere in the dining room would mean that half of the people would be significantly closer to the speakers than the others, which will cause the "music too loud" issue...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 6 Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Neurorad already suggested to check the joists to make sure you can place the speakers where you want to.
If there are can lights in the ceiling, then you might want to try and line the speakers up with the cans for aesthetic reasons.

Do not place them on one side or the other, this would make the dialog situation worse for some of the people. Having the speakers equidistant in the room will distribute the sound evenly.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page