Need solution for house wired for whole home audio but no hardware in place. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie on the forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.

My new house has wires/speakers/keypads for 6-zone Nuvo, no hardware. I'm looking for the best solution to get sound in every room ... I use iTunes on a Mac for my music. Have iCloud streaming.

I'm basically trying to figure out if I need to purchase a new Essentia or Concerto, plus music port, etc. or if there is some more innovative and affordable hack that will let me take advantage of the 6-zone wiring without dropping the coin for all the Nuvo boxes that I would need to make it work.

I want to be able to listen to local radio, streaming audio, and my iTunes, with multi-zone control
I want to be able to control the system via an iOs app
Keypads in place I can use or not; indifferent on this point. They are old-style (i.e. no LED display)

Thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Well, the pre-wiring for the NuVo systems is the same as any of the other WHA systems on the market, so you can choose whichever system you want. Home run speaker wires and cat5 cables to the keypads. The speaker wires may be looped through the keypad location (spliced together), or they may have been run directly.

Are you saying you have the keypads in place, but no system? (so the previous owner took the system but left the keypads? That was dumb - now both of you have a bunch of parts that aren't worth much...)

You can probably pick up a "Concerto" (not the current Grand Concerto) used and take advantage of the keypads for at least source / volume control. Using a Sonos Connect as a source to that system would make a pretty good setup.

Switching out the keypads for the Grand Concerto is easy - just unplug and replace. Moving to another system - you'll want to look at ones that offer dual-gang keypad / controller solutions, or something to consume the spaces left by the old keypads.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I think the prior owner wanted a higher price for the house so took it out on me by giving the Essentia to a friend. Oh well.

I like your suggestion. Forgive my ignorance, but with a Sonos Connect can I run multiple input, or would that be streaming the same music/radio to all 6 zones? To have varied input options would I need to connect an FM tuner in addition to the Sonos Connect? All I really want to have is the option to listen to our three public radio stations in Philly, my iTunes library, and some streaming audio.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybobby View Post

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I think the prior owner wanted a higher price for the house so took it out on me by giving the Essentia to a friend. Oh well.

Oh, it was an Essentia system? That would make the keypads a current model with a small OLED display, then. Much better story. You probably didn't notice the display since it's borderless and black when unpowered. Do they look like this?

The wiring is the same, but the Essentia is cheaper - you should price out the "system only":

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-184

But the source problem is the same, to get the most out of the system, you'd want the MPS4 server, too.
Quote:
I like your suggestion. Forgive my ignorance, but with a Sonos Connect can I run multiple input, or would that be streaming the same music/radio to all 6 zones? To have varied input options would I need to connect an FM tuner in addition to the Sonos Connect? All I really want to have is the option to listen to our three public radio stations in Philly, my iTunes library, and some streaming audio.

Each Sonos unit would be a single source that can be used in all the zones. If you want multiple sources (simultaneous usage), you can add another Sonos or two. Note that most AM/FM stations also broadcast over the Internet, so the Sonos can probably stream your favorite radio station under the "Internet Radio" support.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff, thanks again. I'm pretty sure it was an Essentia, but must have been an older one because the keypads are all white, just buttons (backlit I assume) with no OLED. Kind of like this, but with 3 tuner buttons, 2 CD buttons, and a SAT buttons (in addition to power and volume).

Looks like I either need to suck it up for an MPS4 on top of the Nuvo (whether Essentia or Concerto), or buy multiple Sonos units to enable multiple inputs ...

Thanks again.

- Bob
post #6 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, ok, that's the Simplese system, then. The Simplese kit comes with sheets of labels for the buttons, which is why yours have been labelled better than the generic pictures reveal.

That is NuVo's basic system, which doesn't use the NuVoNet setup for the MPS4, etc. But again, the wiring is the same for all of them.

post #7 of 15 Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Jeff . An update to this ... I have searched the forum again for this issue but cannot find anything relevant; please feel free to point me to something if you know of it.

The background:
I moved to a home last year that is wired for the Nuvo Essentia NV-E6DM, and has 6 zones set up with wall keypads (the old ones, not the LED display).

The seller took the Nuvo amp, so for many months I've had nothing but wires hanging out of the wall in that closet. Now I have picked up a used NV-E6DM on craigslist, and am trying to get it set up in the house with the existing wiring.

The Nuvo unit will power up, and connect to the keypads on the walls in all 6 zones.

HOWEVER, all the wall unit does is flash the "all off" button.

I have tried resetting the Nuvo unit (unplug, hold power button down for over a minute), with no success.

I would welcome and deeply appreciate any advice on troubleshooting I might need to do to get past the blinking "all off " button and get started with putting music through to my various zones.

Thanks -

Bob
post #8 of 15 Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I was wrong about the Simplese - you have a different model (Simplese was 4 zones) that I wasn't aware of.

The issue I think you have is that the keypads are for the oldest "e-series" system (NV-E6M) - and you've bought a newer Essentia (NV-E6DM) or Essentia "G" unit (NV-E6GM). I hadn't seen the details on that original "E" system (discontinued long before I was interested in the gear) until now. Here's the manual for it:

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/nuvo_e_man.pdf

You'll notice on the cover that the keypads match your description. Look at the manual for the Essentia-D and you'll see a different keypad model. Assuming you've got an NV-E6DM unit, you'll need to pick up the "D" keypads to swap out the old ones. Finding an "E" series system may be difficult. But the good news, again, is that the wiring is the same for all of those systems.

Jeff

post #9 of 15 Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff, thanks. I don't think my keypads match that old E-series, though; here's picture of what's installed here:

Best,

Bob
post #10 of 15 Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, that is the Essentia-D keypad - I hadn't seen it with the "All Off" button - most pictures show it with MUTE in that location.

So the same question applies, but with different model numbers. Did you buy a NV-E6DM or NV-E6GM? The "G" won't work with those keypads.

If you have a "D" unit, then it's time to pull the EZport and and one keypad off the wall. Plug the keypad into the Essentia unit by itself to verify that the Essentia is functional. If that works, then unplug everything from the EZport and add back keypads one at a time to see where the problem is. Either a keypad has gone bad, a cable is shorted, or there's a duplicate address set up on the keypad (unlikely if the system worked before).

And if you don't have the manual - I found a copy here:

http://www.manualslib.com/products/Nuvo-Nv-E6dms-Dc-613496.html

Jeff

post #11 of 15 Old 03-10-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. It's an NV-E6DM.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybobby View Post
Thanks Jeff. It's an NV-E6DM.
I am having the same problem with my Nuvo Essentia NV- E6DM. Do you have any updates on the fix? Thanks T
post #13 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixmalones View Post
I am having the same problem with my Nuvo Essentia NV- E6DM. Do you have any updates on the fix? Thanks T
Was this a working system previously? Exactly what are you seeing? Did you try the troubleshooting steps I listed above?

post #14 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 AM

setup / slave question

similar situation, just moved into to a home with the NV-E6DM installed. As I've been trying to get it set up, I found a couple places (master and master bath) where there is a single keypad but 2 sets of speakers.

I think I need to program one zone as a slave of the other, but I can't find anything on how to do that. It seems the Nuvo website doesn't even have a product page for this older version of the hardware.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks much,

Dan
post #15 of 15 Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_guapo View Post
similar situation, just moved into to a home with the NV-E6DM installed. As I've been trying to get it set up, I found a couple places (master and master bath) where there is a single keypad but 2 sets of speakers.

I think I need to program one zone as a slave of the other, but I can't find anything on how to do that. It seems the Nuvo website doesn't even have a product page for this older version of the hardware.
Parts Express has done a great job of archiving all the old manuals for us:

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...nual-41609.pdf

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page