1 room - 4 Speakers - Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Parents have asked me to wire/connect/install a 4-Speaker (In-ceiling) system in a new renovation and I'm stumped. (Currently have access to all areas as drywall has not been completed

I've selected 4 - Monoprice 4929 8-in Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofers. (its a large room)

They are wall mounting a LED TV and would like the speakers connected to it. There is no room for a large amp as its mounted above a fireplace and the ceiling speakers are terminating behind the TV.

How can I power these speakers?

I've looked a few T-amps but they are generally only capable of driving 2 speakers, also most new TV's only have optical audio outputs and I haven't found a T-amp with a optical input

Any ideas? or suggestions on how to make this work?

(I should throw in a that they are budget concious so a sonos style system is out of the question for a bit)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
First, if this is for TV audio, you really don't want in-ceiling speakers for the front L/C/R channels. Surrounds are fine.

Second, if this is for TV audio, you want 5 speakers, not 4.

Cheapest / easiest solution is to remotely locate an AVR to run the system (any nearby closet or cabinet?), and use a simple $20 IR repeater for remote control. You say there's no room for an amp (AVR), but what about the source gear (set-top box, BD player, etc.)?

The AVR will get you the correct outputs, plus switching among sources and avoids the hassles of dealing with audio out from the TV.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have posted purpose - The room is an open concept Kitchen and Great room layout - Its more for playing music from an Apple TV or off the streaming music station from the cable box/Smart TV applications - TV audio would be a rarely used but my Dad would like to connected. With regards to the source gear - the cable box and the apple TV are small enough to stick behind the TV (attached to the mount)

Im trying to make this as simple as possible for them to use as they are not audiophiles in the slightest. Newer TV's only have TOSLINK/optical audio outs and the T-amps i have been looking at are standard Analog inputs
post #4 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKolector View Post

I guess I should have posted purpose

That always helps...
Quote:
Its more for playing music from an Apple TV or off the streaming music station from the cable box/Smart TV applications - TV audio would be a rarely used but my Dad would like to connected.

How will they control volume, and turn the amp(s) on/off if they don't want to use it for TV audio "most of the time"?

If it's for playing music from Internet sources, highly recommend you look into a single Sonos Connect:Amp and let them keep the systems separate. The Sonos does have an analog input so if you connect the TV to it, it would be an option to play over the in-ceiling speakers.

There are inexpensive DACs to get back to analog RCA jacks - Monoprice has one.
Quote:
With regards to the source gear - the cable box and the apple TV are small enough to stick behind the TV (attached to the mount)

You sure about that? Newer TVs and most mounts are awfully thin - but I wouldn't recommend locking them into a solution that requires any / all connected gear to fit behind the TV. If there is enough room, you'll need a remote control repeater to get reliable IR to those units tucked behind.
Quote:
Im trying to make this as simple as possible for them to use as they are not audiophiles in the slightest. Newer TV's only have TOSLINK/optical audio outs and the T-amps i have been looking at are standard Analog inputs

Sonos Connect:Amp for music - easiest interface to use by far. Keeps the TV multiple input / app mess out of the music equation altogether...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - the more and more I read - you are right.

Sonos is the way to go - I might even step it down to 2 speakers in the room as I think its more than enough for music
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page