Low volume on B speakers with speaker selector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, hope someone can help me out. I have a Sony STR-DA5800ES 9.2 Channel AVR, and I also have an older model Panasonic HE-100 receiver.

I recently connected the Panasonic and the Sony to an outdoor pair of speakers via a speaker selector switch, the OSD Audio DSM4 Dual Source 4 Zone Speaker Selector. I keep the circuit protection switch in the on position.

The outdoor speakers are the only thing the Panasonic unit drives. The Sony also drives a 5.1 speaker setup in my house, with the front two speakers bi-amped. I have the B speaker connections running into the speaker selector switch from the Sony to connect to the outdoor speakers.

When I play the Panasonic through the selector switch to the outdoor speakers, it runs okay, although the volume has to be up higher than it normally did before I made the change (when connected directly to the speakers and not through the selector switch). When I switch over to the Sony unit, I can barely hear the sound through the outdoor speakers, even though the sound inside is blasting away. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong....what I need to change?

My objective here is for my kids to be able to hear their music through the Panasonic when they are outside around the pool with their friends, and I can watch/listen to whatever I prefer when inside through the Sony. However, when my wife and I have our own friends over, or want to listen to Pandora outside as well as inside (can't get that through my old Panasonic), I want to hear whatever is piping through the Sony via my outdoor speakers as well.

Probably a simple solution here, but I'm at a loss.....I would really appreciate some help! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Use the Zone2 pre-amp outputs on your Sony to feed the Panasonic receiver as another source input, and just switch sources according when you want to listen to the Sony sources outside. Then you can get rid of the speaker selector and all that hassle...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I should use the zone 2 RCA out jacks and connect them to an input source on the Panasonic, like the phono or CD input connection?

The output connections on the Sony for Zone 2 and Zone 3 are not labeled as pre-out....does that make any difference?

Will this have any effect on the fact that I bi-amped two channels into the front speakers?

Sorry for my inexperience, I'm trying to find the best way to set this up and I don't want to hamper what I already have set up inside and certainly don't want to fry either amp!

Thanks for the advice and guidance.....I really appreciate it.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteplus3 View Post

Okay, so I should use the zone 2 RCA out jacks and connect them to an input source on the Panasonic, like the phono or CD input connection?

Any input EXCEPT phono...
Quote:
The output connections on the Sony for Zone 2 and Zone 3 are not labeled as pre-out....does that make any difference?

They're pre-amp outputs by definition, some makers omit the term to avoid confusion with the main zone pre-amp outputs. If you can set the zone output to be "fixed" instead of "variable" volume, it will be easier to use on the Panasonic. Check the menu / setup for that option.
Quote:
Will this have any effect on the fact that I bi-amped two channels into the front speakers?

Nope.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi jautor, just wanted to mention that this worked great....thanks for the suggestion.

The only problem, which is the same with most all zone outs I suppose, is that nothing connected to the Sony via HDMI will transfer over to the Panasonic. And, I can't pipe something like Pandora to the Panasonic without it also being played on the Sony's main system at the same time (the input for Zone 2 has to be on "source"). Nevertheless, at least now when I am listening to internet radio inside, I can hear it outside as well.

For my CD player and set-top box, I just ran audio cables straight over to the Panasonic as well as having them connected digitally to the Sony.

Thanks again.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page