Need help getting video from PC network to TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help. What I want to be able to do is access and play video content (whether it's DVD's that I've stored, or Windows Media files) that is stored on a NAS drive on my Samsung smart TV that is in another room. The TV is connected on our wireless network...and the NAS drive is also connected on the wireless network. The video files are not stored directly on the PC hard drive...I'm trying to use the NAS drive so everyone/device can access the same content. This seems like it should be easy...but I'm not figuring it out.

I tried chatting with Samsung support and they suggested I needed to install their Allplay software on my computer....which I did, but haven't really had success with that either. At one point I thought I was close, but then no luck. Further, it seemed like the Allplay software would only allow access to files that were on the C: drive (so it wouldn't allow me to get stuff off my NAS drive).

I'm sure you are all smarter than me...can you help? The TV is Samsung UN55ES6580FXZA. My computer is Windows 7 based...and my NAS drive is a Buffalo unit.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 382
You need a DLNA server software package. People argue a lot over the merits of the many different DLNA servers. Some Buffalo NAS devices include a DLNA server or can have it added.

People have often found that many DLNA clients (like those in TVs) cannot play all of the different types of audio and video encodings. That might be the problem you're having. Often one has to choose between using a DLNA server which does transcoding on-the-fly or manually reencoding existing recordings to a diffenent format.

Alternatively, you can get a small-form-factor computer, connect it to the network and plug its HDMI output directly into the TV.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
There are some other subforum here you could check out

http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-content-streaming

http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 4 Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your help guys. I found out that I needed to turn a DLNA server option "on" on my NAS drive. Once I did that, I was able to find the drive/files from my TV. Now the problem is that when I play the video files, they do not play smooth, they stop every ~10 seconds and I get a "loading" message on the TV. I don't know what that is happening? I have posted a new thread/question to try and get help with this.

Thanks again!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page