pre-wiring question for future WHV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
we're building and have our electrical appointment next week so I want to make sure I've got what I need covered. Hopefully, they'll let me drop in some 2" conduit for true future-proofing but that remains to be seen. My wiring panel will likely be in a closet in the master bedroom and I plan on having the various DVRs, etc.. being located in the rooms that are needed next to the display devices so the wiring closet won't contain all of my gear.

I've gathered from many sources that 2x rg6 and 4x cat5 to each room with a TV is an excellent place to start so I'm planning on doing that. I'll have one of the rg6 runs to each room provide the DirecTV feed to each DVR and one of the cat5 to run wired internet access. I was planning on keeping a pair of cat5 to each room open for HDMI baluns from the wiring panel for future distributed video.

I'll have an HTPC sitting in my study that for now will simply feed one of the displays outside my media room with the Movie Poster app or some other slides of upcoming movies, etc.. So I was going to add another pair of cat5 in the study that will use baluns to take the HDMI output from the HTPC and run it thru the wall into the wiring panel over cat5. Then in the wiring panel I'd patch that pair of cat5 from the study to the pair of cat5 running to the display outside the media room and use another set of baluns to convert it back to HDMI for the display at the wallplate. Do I have that correct? And if I wanted to manually (for now) switch that HTPC output to the pj in the media room I'd just need to swap a couple of cables around in the wiring panel.

appreciate any feedback or corrections smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Yes, that will work, just note that inexpensive HDMI-over-cat extenders can be hit-or-miss when the runs get longer and include patching.

Make sure you've got power at that central wiring location, and are willing to devote space there for equipment if you plan to place gear there in the future. Master closet space is generally not "free" (or, well, allowed to be used for other purposes).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
yeah, I was thinking that any future centrally located equipment would probably just go along one of the walls in the study so maybe I'm better off just putting the wiring panel on that wall in the study to start with.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page