Need help with whole home audio/video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, everyone, just want to let you know this is my first post.

So currently I am having a new home built and need some questions answered on where to go because I'm clueless. I am getting my house prewired (2 speakers and volume control) in the master bedroom, den, flex room, 3 bedrooms and kitchen. I did some research on the Lync 6 system from HTD and was wondering where and what types of wires I need to home run to the basement where all my equipment will be placed. In the master there will be 1 TV, loft will have 1 TV with 5.1 surround sound system and the family room will have 1 TV with 5.1 system. So my question is how can I have all my speakers (2 speakers plus the 2- 5.1 systems working with the whole-home audio). I also want to know if say in my master bedroom I want to watch cable on the tv, is there any way I can set it up so I can use the 2 speakers for audio from the tv rather than using the TV speakers?

I also am trying to figure out if I can have all A/V equipment in the basement and have video to all the TV's without having individual a/v equipment to each TV? I have been reading about HDMI matrix switches and HDbaseT but am really confused on which one is better and not overly expensive.

Should I run 2 Cat5e, 1 coax with the rooms where the 2 speakers are run to the basement and the same 2 Cat5e and 1 coax from the 5.1 system to the basement?

Any help regarding the equipment I would need for such a setup will be appreciated, I just don't want to see lots of wires running.

I will upload my plans for the house for reference

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 13
I'm not too familiar with Lync, though most systems have similar functionality. I'm going to suggest Sonos below, it's a bit more expensive, but it's also unbelievably easy to work with.

Let's start with wiring...
You should run at least 3 Cat5e/6, 2 RG6 and speaker cable to every room. More is better, and not enough sucks when you realize you need just one more run. And all this will home run back to your central AV closet.

And now to your rooms...
HDMI matrix switches are OK, but I think we can get away without one for you, especially since you have two 5.1 setups. I would suggest each room with 5.1 have its own dedicated bluray player and cable/sat box. I think it's very rare that you would start watching a bluray in one room and then want to switch mid-movie.

So for this, depending on the length, you might be able to get away with HDMI redmere cables, or you'll have to use the HDMI over Cat extenders. This will take the the 5.1 AVR from the AV closet to the TV, and from the other cable box(es) to those non-5.1 TV setups.

Those speakers...
Again, going Sonos. You get a Sonos Connect Amp to power those two individual speakers, and plug the audio out from the cable box into the audio in on the Sonos Connect Amp. That will then allow you to use the speakers instead of the TV speakers. And you'll also want to pick up a couple Sonos Connects, plug those into your 5.1 AVRs, and now you have a WHA system. For those three devices, you're looking at just under $1500, possibly less if you get some decent used ones off ebay.

And control is the biggest dilemma...
Here's a nod to iRule. Google it. Essentially, it allows you to create a user interface for your phone/tablet and control your AV equipment. It's all done via your existing network, both through hardwired and wifi. Your AVR can probably be controlled by simpling plugging in an ethernet cable. Your cable boxes might also have this capability. For your TVs and bluray players, you'll have to pick up a couple wifi to IR devices. These are small devices that you can hide behind your TV and have an IR bud on the end. You glue that IR bud over the IR receiver on the front of the TV, and now you can send wifi commands that get converted into IR signals.

HDBaseT...
Samsung and others are working hard on this. HDBaseT allows HD signals to be sent to a TV via a single Cat5e/Cat6. If Samsung et al have it their way, HDMI will soon be gone. Samsung has already started putting this tech in some of their TVs. For now, you shouldn't really worry about it, just make sure you have Cat cable ran to all your TV locations. When you start looking at HDMI extenders, assuming your HDMI runs are going to be too long for redmere cables, look for HDBaseT extenders. Start with Monoprice. Cheaper to go HDMI (for now), but make sure you have enough Cat.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, just got a few more questions.

I did look at sonos, but it seems like there is no keypad, am I correct?

I was under the impression I would need a matrix switch to connect all of my inputs (ps3, cable, blu-ray, 1 other) and with the switch can send it to multiple TVs (will put more in other rooms in the future). The only reason why I opted for the HTD lync 6 system is the price, and some features my wife likes (intercom and keypads). Would you recommend HDbaseT matrix switches or hdmi matrix switch? Is there any difference if I use a regular 4x4 hdmi matrix switch and use HDbaseT extenders or vice versa?

I definitely like iRule which I learned from a posting where you mentioned it and probably will incorporate it somehow into my system.

So my contractor is putting in 2 speakers in the above rooms I mentioned with a volume knob, what would I do with the volume knob if I were going to put the sonos? Like in HTD system the volume control is replaced by their keypads. Is there any way to hook up the sonos to allow all the rooms to use music from synology NAS?

BTW, Thanks for replying so quick. I'm just so lost on video distribution and whole home audio.

Thanks
post #4 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

one other question I forgot to ask,

would it be possible for me to put both my AVRs, cable, ps3, etc in the basement and use some sort of IR from each room where the tv is placed?

Which AVRs would you recommend?

Thanks
post #5 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro11 View Post

I did look at sonos, but it seems like there is no keypad, am I correct?

Correct. Buying cheap Android tablets to 'dedicate' to each zone is an option, but lack of keypad integration is a negative, IMO, on Sonos.
Quote:
I was under the impression I would need a matrix switch to connect all of my inputs (ps3, cable, blu-ray, 1 other) and with the switch can send it to multiple TVs (will put more in other rooms in the future). The only reason why I opted for the HTD lync 6 system is the price, and some features my wife likes (intercom and keypads). Would you recommend HDbaseT matrix switches or hdmi matrix switch?

Two different animals. Lync is a whole house audio system. If you want to distribute video, at a "budget-friendly" price, that will require a separate system, like an HDMI matrix switch. The two systems can share sources (TV audio playing over the WHA system), but otherwise, they'll be separate.
Quote:
Is there any difference if I use a regular 4x4 hdmi matrix switch and use HDbaseT extenders or vice versa?

Less to go wrong in an integrated system, and a heck of a lot easier to set up...
Quote:
I definitely like iRule which I learned from a posting where you mentioned it and probably will incorporate it somehow into my system.

There's a learning curve and a lot of DIY work with iRule, just be aware of that up front. I use iRule, but wouldn't recommend the app-based solutions for general TV usage - navigating a non-dedicated touchscreen with no hard buttons for everyday TV viewing IMO is a pain. For theaters and other system-level usage, iRule rocks. Surfing TV and using a DVR, not so much.
Quote:
So my contractor is putting in 2 speakers in the above rooms I mentioned with a volume knob, what would I do with the volume knob if I were going to put the sonos?

Make sure you run a cat5e / Cat6 wire to each volume control location so you can use the Lync keypads!
Quote:
Is there any way to hook up the sonos to allow all the rooms to use music from synology NAS?

That's where Sonos systems get all your digital music - you have to supply a share (PC or NAS) somewhere on your network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro11 View Post

would it be possible for me to put both my AVRs, cable, ps3, etc in the basement and use some sort of IR from each room where the tv is placed?

Yes, just have to plan for that and run ample wire to connect to the display and all the speakers. Note that if you go this route (centralizing the AVRs for multiple systems/displays), you probably won't want an HDBaseT matrix switch, as you'll be running HDMI from the matrix first to each AVR, then out to the displays. In that case, a "normal" HDMI matrix switch will be better, with an HDBaseT extender behind each AVR as needed
Quote:
Which AVRs would you recommend?

Lots of good brands and choices. Get models with network connectivity and app support.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff, so can you just brake it down more in terms of what matrix switch and HDbaseT extenders I would buy, how I would set everything up?

I feel like the lync 6 system is better for my budget so I will probably go that route along with hdmi matrix with hdbaset extenders. Would you recommend me getting a hdbaset hdmi matrix switch or just a regular hdmi matrix switch (the ones that only have hdmi out and not rj-45)?

I was thinking about using HDbaseT switch where my equipment is and then since I have cat5e from each room coming to the basement, I would use one end to go to the output in the switch and the other end would be hdbaseT extender, does that make sense??

Is there anyway that you could perhaps use remotes along with iRule?? (just cause you mentioned that its a pain to use the ipad for browsing tv)

If I don't go with the sonos, can I still integrate the NAS to work with the HTD lync 6 system?

Does iRule have home automation, in terms of lighting, HVAC? Do you have any suggestions on dimmer and thermostats that would work with all this??

Thank you, I really appreciate it
post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
HDBaseT is an extender technology it requires HDMI somewhere - even if it's buried within your kit and you only see an RJ45 socket HDMI is in there somewhere.

Sonos - I'm with folk who think Sonos missed a trick when they dropped the CR100 and CR200. You also have to be aware that on all of the Zone Players the analogue audio Line Input introduces an audio processing delay which can be a problem when trying to keep Video/Audio in Sync.

One potential advantage of using an HDMI over HDBaseT single CAT Matrix is the provision of a routed IR return path from each zone to provide a low cost control option.

The Matrix can also be used to extend the reach of your RS232 control layer!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Following you on other forum...keep in mind you may not be living there long. Don't waste money. wink.gif

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page