Russound A-Bus Speaker Static / Hissing Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I have an ABUS system installed and have an issue that has arisen...

My system is set up with the 4 keypads with CAT5 connections terminating in the structured cabling box in the basement (GreyFox 4 zone distribution module) - in my living room i have a small black box (singleR/W audio input) that connects to the wall via CAT5 (that plate connection is run to the basement as the input to the structured cabling box). I have my Uverse box inputting into those R/W connections.

When I turn on any of my keypads in the house, I can hear the sound from the source but ALSO an audible hissing that gets worse the louder you put the speakers.

Has anyone encountered this?

Could it be that connections are getting 'dusty' or something either within the downstairs main box or the black box module behind my Uverse box and causing interference? I have attempted to clean them with canned air but seems not to change the issue.

Or is it something more sinister like my black box input or module in the basement is going bad? It is very distracting when listening to anything that has dialogue especially.

ANY help or thoughts to try and troubleshoot would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

-Stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Is this your box connecting audio to cat5?

Assuming so this sounds like interference probably coming from the cable box - can you move the balun away from the set-top box, using another RCA cable or extension?

To diagnose correctly, go plug an audio source into your distribution center ABUS panel directly. See if that produces the same results. Does your ABUS system support multiple sources? If so, does the interference appear on all sources or just one or some?

Dust will not cause this. Poor electrical connections, broken/damage connectors, or interference being produced by other devices nearby will.
DiscoStus likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 13 Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick response Jautor and something to try!

Yes, it's a very similar single source balun (see below). I also included a picture of my distribution hub. I will attempt both tests: moving the balun farther from my equipment upstairs, as well as plugging an audio source into my ABUS distribution center panel directly and report back.

-Stu
post #4 of 13 Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can you adjust the output level of this Uverse device? BTW what is it?

The hiss is likely just the noise generated by most all types of audio electronic devices. Normally the signal you wish to hear (music, etc) is a much stronger signal and masks the presence of the noise. But if the signal is weak and you crank up the volume then you can start to hear the hiss.

I notice the little box you have appears to have a couple of LEDs showing. This box may contain some electronics (some devices of this type do and some don't) and that may be the source of the hiss.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #5 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Frederick, thanks for your response. My AT&T Uverse box model is (IPN330HD). As far as I can tell, I cannot adjust the output level on it - unless you are familiar with that model and can advise otherwise? The hiss is very loud and overpowering, and previously it did not make this noise.

-Stu
post #6 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Is this your box connecting audio to cat5?

Assuming so this sounds like interference probably coming from the cable box - can you move the balun away from the set-top box, using another RCA cable or extension?

To diagnose correctly, go plug an audio source into your distribution center ABUS panel directly. See if that produces the same results.

Dust will not cause this. Poor electrical connections, broken/damage connectors, or interference being produced by other devices nearby will.

Jautor - It looks like you were spot on with your diagnosis!

I started right away with connecting an audio source directly into my distribution center ABUS panel. When I turned on the speakers upstairs it was night and day. NO more overpowering hissing noise that would increase the louder I put the volume. I am now toying with how far I can get with my existing cables to see if the hiss can disappear as completely as when doing the direct connection test. If not, no big deal whatsoever, I will just buy some looong cables smile.gif

If I think back to when this started happening it was probably when I had to replace my TV in the living room to a plasma. At that time we purchased a stand and I rerouted wire etc. for all the receiver and speaker connections. The input hub was moved from quite a distance to my equiment to sitting literally on the same shelf all the Uverse box & Bluray - and that shelf is directly below the plasma and above my A/V receiver. I am thinking maybe the plasma also throws off some serious interference?

We were very concerned that our beloved home audio system was going bad and would take some serious maintenance or replacement. I had connected and reconnected / dusted etc, but was running out of hope since the symptoms came on so quickly and completely. Thank you so much for your quick response and specific troubleshooting steps - it is greatly appreciated.

-Stu
post #7 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStus View Post

Frederick, thanks for your response. My AT&T Uverse box model is (IPN330HD). As far as I can tell, I cannot adjust the output level on it - unless you are familiar with that model and can advise otherwise? The hiss is very loud and overpowering, and previously it did not make this noise.

-Stu

Previously? What was you setup then?

post #8 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, we've had the system for quite some time and it never had a hissing / static noise - it started doing that recently. I believe we have it figured out, it was due to the hub being too close to sources which caused interfereance.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi,

I was not able to find a manual on the operation of that AT&T box - the audio outputs may be variable as opposed to fixed (which is what you really want for your application). Did you try increasing the volume setting on the AT&T box for your test.

How did you connect the audio source directly to the distribution panel?

What was the audio source?

The little black box does not appear to be part of the LeGrand lyriQ line. What brand is it?

This type of box is intended to convert line-level single-ended audio signals into a format that is capable of running long distances. So the long distance, in and of itself, should not be a problem. If noise is picked up it is usually hum not hiss.

It seems that your system may be composed of different brands. You mentioned Russound - what parts of the system are from Russound?

post #10 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, we've had the system for quite some time and it never had a hissing / static noise - it started doing that recently. I believe we have it figured out, it was due to the hub being too close to sources which caused interfereance.

When you say "hub" what are you referring to?

What was it close to that was causing the hiss?

post #11 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

I wrote hub but meant to and should have said balun - the black box pictured in my post above which connects line audio to CAT5. That was right next to my Uverse box and just below my plasma TV, one of those two looks to be what was causing the intereferance / hissing in the speakers.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I wrote hub but meant to and should have said balun - the black box pictured in my post above which connects line audio to CAT5. That was right next to my Uverse box and just below my plasma TV, one of those two looks to be what was causing the intereferance / hissing in the speakers.

Did you try moving the "balun" away from those units?

Plasma TVs can put out a good deal of electrical noise.

The nature of a device like your "balun" that uses a cable like CATx makes the CATx cable the least susceptible part of the setup that is affected by such electrical noise. If, in fact, it is this unit that is picking up the noise I would suspect either the audio cables feeding it or the unit itself.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Frederick!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Russound A Kp Rc A Bus Learning Remote Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version