Remote sources for Sonos - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > Remote sources for Sonos
Bal's Avatar Bal 11:14 AM 09-12-2013
How might I add a remote sound source to a Sonos system?

My WHA is a home run layout with 12 zones including pool speakers. All Sonos boxes are centrally located and we use iphones for control. I have a wireless DirecTV receiver outside. How can I get the sound from the wireless directv box on the TV outside, into the Sonos ecosystem to play?

Just looking for brainstorming ideas from the group. I am tired and having troubles thinking outside the box.

Thanks!

jautor's Avatar jautor 12:26 PM 09-12-2013
To play on the outdoor zone (with the video from the DirecTV box), or in other rooms?

First, note that there will be a delay in the audio, so it may not be acceptable along with the TV (lip sync).

If it's for "other" audio-only zones, do you have other DirecTV receivers that are close to or have wire paths to the Sonos stack? A cat5 audio balun would be the wired way. A wireless A/V transmitter would be the next cheapest - but really feels roundabout...

Jeff
impmonkey's Avatar impmonkey 01:49 PM 09-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

To play on the outdoor zone (with the video from the DirecTV box), or in other rooms?

First, note that there will be a delay in the audio, so it may not be acceptable along with the TV (lip sync).

If it's for "other" audio-only zones, do you have other DirecTV receivers that are close to or have wire paths to the Sonos stack? A cat5 audio balun would be the wired way. A wireless A/V transmitter would be the next cheapest - but really feels roundabout...

Jeff

This is true. You can however adjust the delay all the way down. This will cut down on the majority of the delay. You can do this in the line-in settings.
ekkoville's Avatar ekkoville 05:54 AM 09-13-2013
Yeah, I believe my line in is set to no compression. If I watch TV with the Sonos audio, it's almost unnoticeable. If I do that and have a TV playing in another room, I can notice the delay, but stand alone it's almost negligible.
madmic23's Avatar madmic23 09:14 AM 09-13-2013
Get the Sonos Connect and hook it up to your DirectTV receiver outside.

The Connect has source inputs on it that can then be used with the rest of the system. The downside is the price, as you'll be spending around $350 on it.

The Connect is supposed to be used with your existing stereo system for sound, so in this setup, you'd only be using half of it's capabilities.
Bal's Avatar Bal 07:53 AM 09-16-2013
Well I know they make audio wireless baluns like Audiocast. That would be cheaper than a whole connect just for the TV!
Up
Mobile  Desktop