Can phone line be split for Internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi, I have a structured box and I have a phone jack in the kitchen using cat5 wire, I want to use this jack for a wired computer, but would like to keep the phone jack also.
I remember reading somewhere that you can actually use half the wires of one cat5 for a phone and the other half for Internet.
Am I wrong on this, and if correct which wires and how do you terminate the ends?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 350
It can be done, you'll be "limited" to 100Mb Ethernet as gigabit requires all eight wires.

You use two pairs for Ethernet (keep the wired paired correctly as Ethernet requires the twisted pairs), and pull off a third pair to a separate jack for a phone line. Ethernet rill run on pair 1 and pair 2 - see any RJ45 wiring diagram (pins 1,2,3,6) for details. Either of the other pairs can be wired to an RJ11 (green/red) for a phone.

Easiest way to terminate these is to use a pair of keystone jacks at each end of the link.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jautor.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Jautor, don't hmunster need to use the Blue/White-Blue pair for his phone as they don't use the red-green any more? I split a cat 5 cable in one of my rooms for LAN because it was too hard to run another cable and it is working fine. But hmunster may have problems putting a phone in the same cable. I guess try it and find out.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #5 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Jautor, don't hmunster need to use the Blue/White-Blue pair for his phone as they don't use the red-green any more? I split a cat 5 cable in one of my rooms for LAN because it was too hard to run another cable and it is working fine. But hmunster may have problems putting a phone in the same cable. I guess try it and find out.

The wires will be blue/white, but on RJ11 keystone jacks, they will likely be labeled green/red. Although the keystones are probably labeled with both colors, now that I think about it... I wanted to make sure he knew where the wires ended up on both ends.

EDIT: Since he's splitting a cable, the colors won't end up matching in the green/orange/blue/brown sense - he's repurposing the blue pair in the cable to really be "pair #1" on a second jack (the green pair). He needs to wire the RJ11 for the first pair - where the phone will expect it to be.

It should work just fine - not the recommended solution, but if another cable isn't available and difficult to add, it's the retrofit answer...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 12 Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Easier than re-terminating is to just use a special splitter like this at each end:
http://www.l-com.com/ethernet-modular-y-splitter-10base-t-token-ring

It provides one jack with pairs wired for 10/100 Ethernet, and one jack for voice (don't worry that it says "token ring", it's still the same center pairs you'd want for voice).

At your structured box, connect the "A" to your switch or router, "B" to the phone line. In the kitchen, connect the "A" to your computer, "B" to your phone. No re-wiring, and you can easily revert back if you ever need gigabit ethernet.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Network guy, I like the idea of not having to do anything permanent to the connections. But I am a little confused on how to hook it up. Here is my layout- I have a structured panel, my modem and router are located in another room away from the panel ( best wifi in that location) . So, I have the modem connected to wireless router, and one of the lines on the router is hooked to a LAN jack, thus the router signal goes back to my network switch in the structured panel, my phone jacks are in the panel above my network switch.
I have a single phone jack in the kitchen which I want to "split" for phone and Internet.
So, Since my rout is in the other room, how do I connect these splitters, assuming I will need 2 of them. I am really not that knowledgeable about the whole house Internet setup.
Thanks
post #8 of 12 Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The description reads 10BaseT. Nothing about 100BaseT. Makes me wonder if it's even CAT5.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey guys, op here- I need some help as I stated above, can somebody tell me how to configure my setup?
Thanks
post #10 of 12 Old 09-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 81
As I don't know what your structured box looks like, I will guess. I would first separate all 4 pairs so they can reach your 2 Keystones. Next, I would punch down 3 pairs on each end of your LAN using either the A or B side to which you prefer or what your structured box dictates. Now take the Blue/White-Blue pair and use these for your phones. I wish you sent some pictures, that would really help.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would really prefer not to have to start terminating cables. How would I set it up using Networkguys patch cables?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I would really prefer not to have to start terminating cables. How would I set it up using Networkguys patch cables?

You're going to have to on the end in the wiring closet. If you want to use that splitter on the other end, fine - but you'll have to change out the jack from a phone to an RJ45 anyway - just as easy at that point (and cleaner-looking) to do two keystones (RJ45 + RJ11).

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page