New Build - Need some expert ideas. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been researching a lot of how to best wire the home for present and future needs. This is what I've came up with.. File of wiring blue print to follow.

I want each main point where a TV would be placed in the home to have the following.

A/V Main Location in Storage room next to Storm Shelter. I'll need 2 dedicated AC circuits to this location. Since I believe residential generally is only 15amps each.

Garage - 2 RG6U, 2 CAT6, 1 HDMI "I will provide HDMI cable, takes a very expensive type to run this length" Flexible Blue conduit ran.
Guest Room - 2 RG6U, 2CAT 6, 1 HDMI
Deck above Fireplace - 2 RG6U, 2 CAT 6, 1 HDMI "Conduit"
Great Room - "book shelf" 2 RG6U, 2 CAT 6, 1 HDM I "Conduit"
Master - 2 RG6U, 2 CAT 6, 2 HDMI "Conduit"
Master Bath - 2RG6U, 2 CAT 6, 1 HDMI
Office - TV Wall - 2 RG6U, 2 CAT, 1 HDMI Desk Wall - 4 CAT 6, 1 HDMI "conduit just this wall"
Downstairs
Main Room - 2 RG6U, 2 CAT 6, 2 HDMI "Conduit"
Bedrooms - 2 RG6U, 2 CAT 6, 1 HDMI

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
That looks like a good start, but posting a floorplan with locations called out would allow for better feedback. Are you planning on distributed HDMI video immediately? If not, I'd probably skip the long HDMI runs as the cat6 will probably be a better choice in the future.

Think about pre-wiring for speakers (WHA system) and keypads now, and make sure you have cat6 to multiple locations in most rooms so you can get to a jack from anywhere in the room without running wires across a door opening.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Knowing what wiring you want to do to each drop (outlet) is more important.

You then have a minimum of 2 drops for each bedroom. One for the head-end if the bed and one for the opposite wall where a tv would typically be, for every bedroom.
The structured wiring panel isn't necessarily going to be in the same location where the HDMI distribution will be, unless you are going to have an equipment closet to place everything. So you will have to plan for that as well.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Plan, plan, plan, plan.

Cat-6 is far more useful than anything else you are listing, so adding more is a great thing to do.

I'm in agreement on the HDMI not being required, but certainly, it is a good thing to have in place.

I would make sure your structured wiring panel is put in the same closet as the A/V gear head end is supposed to be. Also make sure security is there.

Home circuits are a mix of 15amps or 20amps with standard outlets generally. So, you can put in two dedicated 20 amp outlets in the equipment closet (head end).

I always recommend after you've carefully planned everything - you start over.

Go through it from scratch from the ground up. When the space is being built is the one and only time you can wire a home to perfection. I would run speaker wires to all the rooms where you have HDMI run - do you plan to use the junky speakers that come inside that $300 TV? Come on! Get some decent in-wall speakers (preferable in-wall and not in-ceiling!). So, speaker wiring goes in place now, and matters. Rooms that don't have video... do you want audio? Dining room? Living room? How about outside? Maybe a few sets of speakers on the deck? Or in the garage?

What about other stuff? Security cameras? Pool control? Fireplace control? Lighting control?

Much like all the rest, the time to plan is now, while things are still open. It generally costs 1/3 the price to wire during construction than after drywall is up.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone!

My goal is to run everything to our 12x12 storm bunker which is basically a temperature controlled clean room.

Quick Questions:

- How do custom setups like this work for wall plates? Will I need 3 separate plates? Try to find an all in one?
- How is RF distributed to Uverse box downstairs?
- Has anyone tried fishing cables through Flex Conduit before? Is it difficult?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page