HDMI Extender / TV Mainboard Damage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using 3 pairs of passive Monoprice extenders over 25' cat5e runs. The signal is great - I'm getting 1080i and 1080p signal through no problem.

The issue that I have, however, is that I have replaced my TV 3 times in the past six months. All have been Samsung units and all have had the same symptoms - after a month or two, they enter a reboot loop where the power light continues to flash. From that point on the TV will no longer actually boot up but stays in the reboot loop until I long press the power button.

I had a Samsung repair tech come out for the most recent TV failure and he verified that the mainboard has gone out on the TV. He stated that it was likely due to voltage coming through the HDMI. I'm waiting on a replacement mainboard for this TV, but I would like to find a permanent solution rather than waiting for the problem to occur again in a couple months. The current Samsung model that I have is UN46F7100.

Any suggestions (or smacks on the back of the head for something obvious I've missed) are more than welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Get 30' hdmi cables.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

While that is certainly an option, I've gone through a considerable amount to run the cat5e cable through spaces in my wall that are not large enough to accommodate an HDMI connection. The cat5e are terminated with keystone jacks to the wall plates that I have added.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

If I understand you correctly, you are implying that the problem lies with the extender pairs? Is there no way to ground them or regulate the voltage?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page