is there any distinct advantage to have HDMI pigtail - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
on an HDMI wall plate as opposed to two female HDMI sockets back to back (no pigtail) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yes if you are going to use an HDMI cable that is heavy like a 22 gage one from Monoprice, the longer the run the bigger is needed. The big ones are stiff and do not bend that much and that little pigtail as you call it removes the bend. I use the wall jacks or low voltage wall plates from Monprices in places were the opining on wall can be seen and just a low voltage mounting ring were not. I also like the heavy cable because they are stronger and the last thing I want to do is replace one. I also use what are called port savers that prevent strain on the equipment jacks.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the OP is asking.

1. If you are referring to using at a wall plate specifically, then a HDMI coupler into a keystone port introduces issues with the space behind the wall and the depth of the HDMI connector. More than once I've run into HDMI keystone inserts which point the HDMI head towards the back wall, and a heavy gauge, premium HDMI cable simply will not fit into that opening. Instead, I've had to use pigtails to get the wiring in place.

2. HDMI couplers are excellent for pairing two cables, but I generally believe that it is ideal as the poster above said, for stepping down from a long run HDMI cable to a skinny flex HDMI cable for the last yard or so. They really should not be behind walls if you can avoid it.

3. Couplers vs. extensions are an additional failure point for HDMI which can already be tenuous at distance. In all fairness, I've just done a setup with 75' HDMI cables with HDMI couplers, and I will report back what I see when I fire up the BD player into my Denon. If anything is going to sell me on using HD-BaseT instead of a single HDMI cable, this will be the test.

4. They do sell extension cables at some places (M-F) which allow you to not use a coupler, but generally the cable selection is very limited.

At walls, I generally don't use a wall plate with HDMI, but bring the cable through the wall behind devices and straight into the devices. It drops the point of failure down, and if I must use a coupler, it is visible and accessible. I realize this is not as pretty, but it is behind gear so it isn't seen. Also, using a nice bullnose wall plate gives a good final appearance, perhaps even better looking when cables are actually coming out of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There are wall plates with a 4 inch pigtail on the inside and port savers that are 6 and 8 inches long from Monoprice. I think what OP was asking is what are they for. Simple, take the strain off the cable. At 75 feet all I can say is good luck.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

There are wall plates with a 4 inch pigtail on the inside and port savers that are 6 and 8 inches long from Monoprice. I think what OP was asking is what are they for. Simple, take the strain off the cable. At 75 feet all I can say is good luck.
Oh, I've already run the PS3 at 75' to watch 1080p movies on without any issues whatsoever... The question now is whether it will work with the flexible short cables I've added as well or if that is going to push it off the (digital) cliff. I'm anxious to finish getting it wired up to see how it works, and I may swap it out to a 50' cable with 6' extensions at each end because I think I can get away with a shorter cable... Just a pain to re-pull the cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you for the replies, understand now why this feature is quite useful
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page