New Pool - Two Zone Audio and Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just built a new pool and I'm planning to pipe audio and video out to a TV and 2-4 speakers. I purchased a Yamaha RX-V473 probably 9 months ago just to run the living room set up. I'm trying to figure out the best way to the following...

Full multi-zone control to where I can have any source in my living room playing independently inside OR outside with separate volume control for each.

I've found most reasonably priced A/V receivers have multi-zone capabilities, but they don't have the ability to play the digital sources outside of the main zone. Most only allow analog sources. The video shouldn't be too hard as I'm thinking about using the IOGEAR Wireless HD Digital Kit - http://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/, and either take the feed off HDMI OUT.

Any suggestions on how to best handle this? I'm OK with purchasing a new A/V receiver if its somewhat reasonable or I can find it used if it will support ALL sources on Zone 2. This would make everything pretty straightforward as I could then output Zone 2 audio to the pool and borrow either HDMI Out 1 or HDMI Out 2 with the IOGEAR to feed the TV video only.

I'd be interested in hearing any other suggestions people might come up with that I haven't though of. Anything that allows me to leverage my current set up and save cost would be even more attractive!

Thanks,
Benjie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
The simplest answer is to run analog audio in parallel for digital sources, so that they're available to Zone2...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The simplest answer is to run analog audio in parallel for digital sources, so that they're available to Zone2...

If I understand correctly, you're saying input HDMI from say my SAT box for the main zone video and audio and then in parallel output the same audio signal over SAT box analog outputs to one of the analog inputs on the receiver that work on Zone 2? I guess that would work, although I'm not sure all sources output digital and analog at the same time. If outputting digital, some may turn off the analog out or in the case of say an Apple TV, they don't have ANY analog out. frown.gif
post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post

If I understand correctly, you're saying input HDMI from say my SAT box for the main zone video and audio and then in parallel output the same audio signal over SAT box analog outputs to one of the analog inputs on the receiver that work on Zone 2?

Yep, this is the standard operating procedure answer for zone2 setups short of buying a very new AVR with digital support in Zone2...
Quote:
I guess that would work, although I'm not sure all sources output digital and analog at the same time. If outputting digital, some may turn off the analog out or in the case of say an Apple TV, they don't have ANY analog out. frown.gif

Nothing turns off analog audio. AppleTV is probably the only mainstream device around that lacks analog audio capability... An inexpensive DAC can solve that issue, if you really need ATV audio in zone2...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Cool. Appreciate the advice!

If someone can come up with a reasonably priced AVR with digital support in Zone 2, I'd not be opposed to a new purchase! smile.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Nothing I've seen supports digital in zone 2.

You may want to consider a receiver like the Denon 3313 which has dual zone, discrete HDMI. If you use your existing A/V receiver with the Denon then both zones can receive full HD audio with localized DSP control for hitting the speakers connected appropriately. It will also give you independent source selection in both areas so the outside can listen to music from AppleTV, while inside the game in on cable.

I've run this setup before and it works well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Not exactly sure I understand what you're proposing. Are you saying the 3313 would be the main receiver with all sources input there and then it could daisy chain via HDMI to my existing Yamaha which would basically act as a Zone 2 amp?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Unless I'm reading the manual of the Denon 3313 wrong, it appears to support digital audio from HDMI IN 1-6 in Zone 2! If that's the case, this should allow me to do exactly what I'd like to do!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It does not.

It only supports zone 2 digital audio over analog (or speaker) connections when (and only when) zone 1 is on the exact same source. Otherwise, it won't work.

It is an unfortunate BS fact of the industry that they just don't get it... at all.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post

Not exactly sure I understand what you're proposing. Are you saying the 3313 would be the main receiver with all sources input there and then it could daisy chain via HDMI to my existing Yamaha which would basically act as a Zone 2 amp?
It would not only act as the amp, but it would maintain surround sound in your main area, while keeping the single HDMI cable connection that you are using. The problem with HDMI is that if you want it in a second zone, and that zone can't handle surround sound, then the audio will be dropped down to stereo. This can impact all of your listening experience. Instead, by connecting from one surround capable product, to another, you maintain full surround sound in the main area, and the second receiver will down-mix the audio as necessary for the speakers connected. So, while you pick up the 'zone 2 amp', it is the zone-2 digital audio signal processing (DSP) which is what you need. It will allow you to completely have two separate zones and shared sources with proper audio going to either/all of them as you desire.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....makes these following statements from their manual very misleading...

1. Equipped with a Multi-Zone Function 3 source, 3 zone output (incl.HDMI output for ZONE2)
This unit is equipped with a multi-zone function, so you can enjoy separate sound sources in three rooms including MAIN ZONE. Furthermore, this unit is equipped with an HDMI ZONE2 OUT connector, so you can play back in ZONE2 a video that is different from the one played back in MAIN ZONE.

2. When a TV is connected to the HDMI ZONE2 OUT connector, you can play back a video or audio from the device connected to the HDMI 1 - 6 IN connector in ZONE2 ( vpage 103).

3. You can operate this unit so as to enjoy audio in a room (ZONE2, ZONE3) other than the MAIN ZONE (room where the unit is located).
• You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3.
• When a TV is connected to the HDMI ZONE2 OUT connector, you can play back a video or audio from the device connected to the HDMI 1 - 6 IN connector in ZONE2 (HDMI ZONE2 function).
The source selected for ZONE2 is also output from the recording output connectors (MEDIA PLAYER).
NOTE
The following restrictions apply to the HDMI ZONE2 function.
• If you select a same input source for MAIN ZONE and ZONE2, audio playback may be restricted or video
may be interrupted.
• Video may not be output depending on the resolution of the TV used for MAIN ZONE and ZONE2. In this
case, use your player to set the resolution of the TV.
• The HDMI audio signals for the input source selected in ZONE2 are output from the ZONE2 speakers.
• When HDMI ZONE2 function is used, you cannot set the following: Pic Adjust, Auto Lip Sync, Video Mode, Video Conversion, i/p Scaler, progressive mode, aspect ratio, setup menu display
post #12 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

It would not only act as the amp, but it would maintain surround sound in your main area, while keeping the single HDMI cable connection that you are using. The problem with HDMI is that if you want it in a second zone, and that zone can't handle surround sound, then the audio will be dropped down to stereo. This can impact all of your listening experience. Instead, by connecting from one surround capable product, to another, you maintain full surround sound in the main area, and the second receiver will down-mix the audio as necessary for the speakers connected. So, while you pick up the 'zone 2 amp', it is the zone-2 digital audio signal processing (DSP) which is what you need. It will allow you to completely have two separate zones and shared sources with proper audio going to either/all of them as you desire.

I believe I understand what you're proposing but to be sure, you're referring to running HDMI Zone 2 out to one of the Yamaha HDMI IN1 and then I'd have discrete control with the Denon running my entire living room TV and audio and the Yamaha running pool TV and audio.

I like it if I can find a used 3313! biggrin.gif
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page