Directv (Genie) passed through HDMI extenders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I recently switched from Uverse over to Directv (it's football season and my one year promos on Uverse were up and it was more than double the cost of switching to Directv). Anyways, consistent issue we have had is the picture will freeze maybe once a day and the Genie DVR will then restart itself. Means tv is off for 3-4 minutes while it reboots.

The Genie DVR (main box, others are all clients that feed off it) is what runs my main room (5.1 surround running through a Pioneer Elite SC-65). I have all that equipment located in a media closet under my backstairs (approximately a 25-30ft distance between TV and receivers). I have CAT5E running for a/v distribution to the TV and am using HDMI extenders (powered on both ends, so only needing 1 CAT5E line total). So the Genie has input from coax (running up to a structured wiring panel where the inbound coax from the satellite dish is located). Output is via HDMI to the Pioneer Elite, and then outbound from the Pioneer Elite is HDMI to the extender transmitter to CAT5E to extender receiver to HDMI to TV. I am using the same delivery method for an outdoor TV as well as to my daughter's playroom (for some reason we didn't put coax in that room, just a CAT5E data port).

So, service call goes in for the freezing, as it is a royal PIA and a daily occurance. I'm guessing that it's software related to the Genie as I have read that replacing the box has resolved issues for others. Service guy is trying to tell me that it's my extenders that "could" be causing it. Now, I'm no expert, but I could understand if we were just getting a frozen picture, but I don't see how that would trigger the box to be automatically resetting itself. It has inbound via coax and outbound via HDMI. It would seem to me anything past that didn't work would just mean I wouldn't get any picture.............not a once/twice daily freeze. I think it's a BS answer. Anyone have some thoughts.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
BS answer... Probably a bad hard drive.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That was my thought. If that was the issue, no picture would go through.....right?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Well, there's lots of issues with extenders that could explain dropouts, loss of sync, etc. but those shouldn't be causing the DVR to lock-up or reset.

When you say the picture freezes, you mean you get a 'still image' on the display? That's clearly not an extender issue nor an HDMI problem. Bad hard drive or memory or chipset or software (probably a combination).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
The stupid and cheap thing would be to buy a long HDMI cable, try it out for a week, then return it. If you have the same issue, then it clearly isn't at all related to your extender. But, bad cables connected to extenders can cause issues, and I've seen (personally) a DirecTV box that would lock up due to a HDMI cable which had a nasty bend in it and was causing voltage across pins which shouldn't have been there. So, while I agree, that it SOUNDS like a box issue, I have also personally been a part of it being the cabling which was causing issues with a box.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page