Amplifier Requirements/Recommendations??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to see how much power I need for my whole house audio system (what size amp). Multi channel amp or dual channel with speaker selector? Going to use volume control knobs for each zone. 14AWG home runs to all speakers. I am going to use my Onkyo 616 as the source. Family room will be powered by the receiver main zone. The outdoor speakers are powered by the receiver zone 2. I am planning on using zone 3 for the whole house audio. Speakers and zones listed below. I would like an amp with audio sense power on and off over RCA cables.

Master Bedroom - (2) Polk RC60i
Master Bathroom - (1) Polk RC6s
Dining Room - (2) Polk RC60i
Kitchen - (2) Polk RC60i

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Will your Onkyo support unique sources for each zone? If not, you'll be limited to having to use the same audio source for all zones all the time. I often find it nice to be able to have each zone play something different.

30 watts per channel will be more than sufficient for the Polks, so you could look at any of the multichannel amps available. The common configuration for this is a 12 channel, 30 watts per channel amp.
Most of these type amps will allow you to bridge two channels for higher output. Since you only have 8 channels, you could bridge a couple for any zone you need/want to boost the volume…

Audiosource, Niles, OSD, Dayton, Sonance all have options available.

I would highly suggest investing in a source system other than your Onkyo… I have a Denon that I tried using, and found myself getting frustrated with always having to go into the wiring closet and muck with it to get it setup right. I now use Apple Airport Express units as a source for each zone… airplay from any iOS device, super easy, wife approved.

Of course, this is something you could always upgrade to later once you have a nice amp… so you can start with your system and improve it if it become unwieldy.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

I think my Onkyo will do just fine for now. I can run different sources on on all 3 of my zones and use my PC, Cable box, iPod, Android, or any of the free internet passed music apps installed on the receiver, all controlled over my smart phones and tablets. I wanted to keep the price of the amp down since the receiver only cost me $300 bucks. I was orginally planning an OSD Audio MX1260 12-Channel x 60-Watt Multiroom Distribution Amplifier. Was going to power all 4 zones and then bridge the outside zone. Being that the inside is not going to be used that often I was wondering if a small 2 channel amp would sufficient with a speaker selector. Or should I just spend the money on a multichannel.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page