Autonomic - good/bad...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Can anyone tell me a little about the Autonomic Brand controlled with RTI ? Is it a good Product ? Any Bugs? Reliable? I know nothing about this Unit, and want to have a good System in my House. The Dealer tells me GREAT - of course he says that, but is it really true? I know that RTI is a very good Product, but also Autonomic? Has it someone in his House allready installed, and can tell me something about it? I have about 20 Zones. How can I compare it with Sonos. Any Tips?
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You may want to search or post your question over on remotecentral.com as well. I have seen several threads over there about autonomic and remember some good and bad things but don't remember details.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-25-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Autonomic has been around for a "long" time (in media server timescale), and they are the software provider behind the NuVo MPS4 and Elite media servers, if that helps give some credibility...

I continue to use Autonomic's Mirage v3.0 software-only solution (now a discontinued product, I believe). It hasn't been bug-free, but does function and gained considerable functionality over the years. I expect them to announce additional music service support [EDIT: for their current server products, not the Mirage software I'm using] at CEDIA (and based on notes in the iOS app updates).

The difference from Sonos will be the type of integration possible - Sonos tends to be "include our app in your app" type of plug-in arrangement, whereas Autonomic will provide the API for folks like RTi to fully integrate.
adk highlander likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for Repley, but what do you mean with "Bugs" ? How stable does the Systrem really run ? I have no experience at all, and I also don´t know anything of the Product. Maybe you can tell me a little more.

I also don´t know what you mean with this - "Autonomic has been around for a "long" time (in media server timescale), and they are the software provider behind the NuVo MPS4 and Elite media servers, if that helps give some credibility..."

I would just like to know if you would suggest the Product. I would love it, because I want to integrate it in RTI....

Thanks
post #5 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx-freak View Post

Thanks for Repley, but what do you mean with "Bugs" ?

I'm using their software-only solution. It has some conflicts with Windows Update and Security Center, which I have solved by having the Windows PC host reboot itself every morning (after updates run while I'm still asleep).
Quote:
How stable does the Systrem really run ? I have no experience at all, and I also don´t know anything of the Product. Maybe you can tell me a little more.

The appliances are much more stable than the generic Windows-PC solution. But I haven't lived with one...
Quote:
I also don´t know what you mean with this - "Autonomic has been around for a "long" time (in media server timescale), and they are the software provider behind the NuVo MPS4 and Elite media servers, if that helps give some credibility..."

Which part?

NuVo used Autonomic's software for their previous server products (MPS4 / MPS4E). Those products are reliable in the field.
Quote:
I would just like to know if you would suggest the Product. I would love it, because I want to integrate it in RTI....

It's very competitive in both features and price and will integrate probably better than anything else in the price range...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - Great to hear that :-) I think I would offer it to the Customer. The only "Problem" I have is, that the Customer lives about 4 Hours away from me. That means, if something happens with the System, it is very difficult to fix it. I think it would be a good Solution to install a small PC, that I can use Teamviewer to see whats going on.

Can you explain me that Solution you made with your Windows PC and "reboot"? You use Autonomic in your own House? What do you mean, that you just use there Software? You don´t use there Servers? Do I get there something not right?

A lot of Questions, because it is complete new for me. I just want to sell and use a System that is to "100%" reliable - when you know what I mean ;-)

My Customer is over 70 Years old, and he will not run always in the Basement to unplug, or do something else to the System. When something is not working, then he will call me - thats for shure ;-)

Thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx-freak View Post

Thanks - Great to hear that :-) I think I would offer it to the Customer. The only "Problem" I have is, that the Customer lives about 4 Hours away from me. That means, if something happens with the System, it is very difficult to fix it. I think it would be a good Solution to install a small PC, that I can use Teamviewer to see whats going on.

You're going to have the same "remote support" issue with any product. I would avoid a PC-based solution...
Quote:
Can you explain me that Solution you made with your Windows PC and "reboot"? You use Autonomic in your own House? What do you mean, that you just use there Software? You don´t use there Servers? Do I get there something not right?

I use Autonomic's "Mirage" software, which they no longer offer as a standalone software-based solution. Their current product is a server appliance with a later version of the Mirage software running on it.
Quote:
A lot of Questions, because it is complete new for me. I just want to sell and use a System that is to "100%" reliable - when you know what I mean ;-)

My Customer is over 70 Years old, and he will not run always in the Basement to unplug, or do something else to the System. When something is not working, then he will call me - thats for shure ;-)

So this is for a customer, not yourself? That's not what you said in your original post. You should not be installing products into customers' homes that you aren't familiar with...

post #8 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I think I got it now. I know it is not a so Good Idea to install Products where I am not so familiar, but once I have to Start. I get a very Good Support of my Distributor, and I am very Familiar with RTI. I think it should not get so complicated until it runs.

Before I install all the Units at the Customers House, I have plenty of Time to Test it at home, to get familiar with it.

The mean Reason for me whose just to get a few Infos, if the System is reliable, and not a Headage - when you know what I mean ;-)

What do you mean with PC Based Solution ? Teamviewer also needs a PC...
Thanks
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page