Structured wiring and whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys, that have both structured wiring and whole house audio are they located in the same closet? I am at the beginning of the LONG process of creating both. Currently I am leaning towards keeping them separate. The home theater is upstairs and I assume I will put the WHA there as well since they will be utilizing the same input sources. However my structured wiring closet will be downstairs due to space and noise from servers, fans, etc. Let me know how yours is setup and your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Placing the WHA gear with the sources probably makes the most sense. Just make sure you have ample cabling connecting that location with the structured wiring closet, though.

Mine are co-located, with distributed video all in a rack in the closet with the wiring panel.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Placing the WHA gear with the sources probably makes the most sense. Just make sure you have ample cabling connecting that location with the structured wiring closet, though.

Mine are co-located, with distributed video all in a rack in the closet with the wiring panel.

Yes, that is what i meant.....Distributed internet, phone, and video from the incoming source would be in my structured wiring closet. But then adding the new WHA to the HT in my main entertainment area. I was just contemplating this while thinking of how many CAT6 cables to run to each room. While the WHA will increase the number of cables, it will be from a different "central" location.

Thanks again Jeff.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by braves1fan77 View Post

I was just contemplating this while thinking of how many CAT6 cables to run to each room.

Lots. And then a couple more. biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 75
+1

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 216
It will be dependent on the equipment you choose, particularly the control system and any matrix switching devices, as to what wires you will need to run between the basement and your upstairs equipment room and the wires running to each room.

If I understand your brief description correctly, I would run the basement video to the theater as a source input to an HDMI Matrix switch and then the remaining home runs would be from the theater to each room. Seems pretty cut and dry.

Personally I will have all of my WHA and theater equipment co-located in two Middle Atlantic racks. The only equipment in each room would be any in-ceiling speakers and / or a flat panel...that's it. Managed switches, digital phone system, etc. will all be in the basement racks / equipment room.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page