RG-6 recommendations to pre-wire for DirecTV install on our new house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I have been digging through all the threads I can, but I need a recommendation for a good RG6 cable to pre-wire my new house before DirecTV comes out for the install. I don't want to break the bank with an overkill cable, just a good quality cable that I can run myself. The house was built in 1989, so I am pretty sure that anything that might be there is old cable company stuff. Ordered the new Genie HD DVR with 3 mini Genie boxes for a total of 4 TV's. The longest run should be less than 100' out to the garage. Local internet is 4G WiMax and their broadcast tower is about 5 blocks away, so I don't know if I should be concerned with any potential interference.

Based on what I have found so far I am looking at the Belden 7915A tri-shield as my cable of choice.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM

1694A Belden- This is the cable I used for my entire house (also 1989 vintage). This is excellent cable for AV; sweep tested to 4.5 GHz. YES, it is probably x2 the price but if you are doing the installation I would reconsider the 7915A selection. Additional high frequency shielding is good for airport application; not really necessary for home installation.

I recently updated to SWiM and Genie for the entire house. The capabilities for whole house network/access to recorded video, etc. is great.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Contact DirectTV and ask them?
post #4 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthehunter View Post

1694A Belden- This is the cable I used for my entire house (also 1989 vintage). This is excellent cable for AV; sweep tested to 4.5 GHz. YES, it is probably x2 the price but if you are doing the installation I would reconsider the 7915A selection. Additional high frequency shielding is good for airport application; not really necessary for home installation.

I recently updated to SWiM and Genie for the entire house. The capabilities for whole house network/access to recorded video, etc. is great.

Thanks, I do live between two small airports and not far from an Air Force Base, so I think the shielding is probably a good idea. $109 shipped for a 500' spool from TSelectronics is not unreasonable either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Contact DirectTV and ask them?

I asked DirecTV when I was scheduling the install and they wouldn't tell me anything. All they would say is that anything other than standard installation would be at an additional cost and discussed at the time of installation.

I really don't have the time or the patience to deal with a DirecTV installer to get things installed exactly as I want them. The previous homeowner was quite meticulous with the home upkeep and there are NO holes poked through the side of the house for anything. I have a good crawl space and an attic to work with, so I am going to pre-wire and pre-hang all the TV's with a nice wall box for a clean install.

I do have some sloppy home theater speaker holes and wiring to clean up, but that is another thread in itself.

Thanks again for the replies.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I had a very good installer. It's hit or miss, but you may get lucky. I suggest setting up the appt, meet with him, talk it over. You may be surprised.

Most customers don't care. Let him know you appreciate the extra effort.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I had a very good installer. It's hit or miss, but you may get lucky. I suggest setting up the appt, meet with him, talk it over. You may be surprised.

Most customers don't care. Let him know you appreciate the extra effort.

Will do, thanks.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Use Belden 9116

1694A is not intended for RF use. It's a digital video cable. Yes it will work electrically but you may have a problem getting F connectors to fit properly. And it's a waste of money for your application.

Just about any good all copper quad or double shield RG6 will do. Just stay away from copper clad RG6. It has too much resistance at DC over 100 feet for the dish electronics to operate reliably.
egnlsn likes this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8 of 30 Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Just about any good all copper quad or double shield RG6 will do. Just stay away from copper clad RG6. It has too much resistance at DC over 100 feet for the dish electronics to operate reliably.

This would only apply from the dish to the splitter where the power inserter will most likely be located. Directv wants to use, and the installers have on their vans, solid copper core wire. But if the run is short enough, copper clad will also do fine.

I agree, do not use the 1694a wire, way too expensive. You don't really need quad shielding either.

This will work:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=13&p=ULPVRG6SCBLK&d=Perfect-Vision-ULPVRG6SCBLK-Single-RG6-Coax-Cable--1000-ft-(Reel-in-a-Box)--Black-(ULPVRG6SCBLK)&c=Bulk%20RG-6%20Coax%20Cable&sku=610370580981
post #9 of 30 Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Go with the TS Electronics Belden 7915A. I used it and am very pleased.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #10 of 30 Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm an independent sub-contractor, and I use perfect vision solid copper on every directv and satellite internet installation. My advice is to get what ifor linked because directv's "requirements" are overkill, and that cable meets their "requirements". It's basically the industry standard.

If you want a job done well, you should find someone who gets paid well. It's the luck of the draw, but you can boost your odds by going with a contractor for a small, local, independent retailer. However, there's good and bad guys wherever you go.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydtrack View Post

Will do, thanks.
I actually had a private (non-DirecTV) installer lined up for the job, thinking the DirecTV installer wouldn't do the job to my expectations - I had a need for an unusual ground. But, I gave the 'free' installer a shot, and he was outstanding. Very experienced. He understood the situation, and used my supplied AWG 10 solid copper ground wire that I ran before he arrived.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Here's another vote for 9116.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the Belden 7915A from TS Electronic. Definitely not hiring a contractor, I have been wiring aircraft for years, the house will be easy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free
post #14 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 AM

My advice about finding a local contractor was for doing a clean installation not the wiring. I think it would be hilarious if you ignored good advice and the tech you get refuses to use your existing wiring because it's not approved by directv. Sure it will work, but depending on who you go through they can be more or less flexible. I've seen it happen. Go local.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I really haven't had a problem with the DirecTV installers other than they only do through wall installations. The house I am in now was pre-wired with RG-6 and they were cool with just tapping into the existing wiring. MOST guys that I have worked with in the past have been very flexable, I just don't want to have to pay them for "custom" installation, when I can run all the wires myself.
post #16 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do people who have a background as an engineer or aircraft technician think that what a/v techs do is easy?

Do you have a low voltage license? Do you know the electrical code for your area?
post #17 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

One of my co-workers is a licensed electrician and he is going to help with the installation.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM

I used Belden 9116 in half my home. It is great cable, but the 7915 has superior shielding and no special connectors are required. It is also sweep tested to 3 gig which the cable and satellite companies say you need these days. I am glad I got the 7915.

Ydtrack, you will be happy with your purchase. TS Electronics and Monoprice are the companies I use the most.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #19 of 30 Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have an engineering background, but the main reason I prefer to DIY is because I can put the time in to do a great job on the details. The pros don't have the luxury of time. They simply can't take an hour to focus on something that isn't important.

If a pro installer wants to stay in business, it will be rushed. Unless, the client is paying top dollar. The high end pros can take the time, and often do.

We're talking about contracted cable installers, though, who need to get in and get out, and onto the next, if they want to feed their families.

post #20 of 30 Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Neurorad, I totally agree on what you say about contractors. Time is money to them and they take a lot of shortcuts. If you can do it yourself, do it.

post #21 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Neurorad, I totally agree on what you say about contractors. Time is money to them and they take a lot of shortcuts. If you can do it yourself, do it.

Yes, yes, us contractors all cut corners.
We simply cut out joist as it as easier than drilling holes.
We also just cut a big holes in the drywall and hope the clients don't notice it.
We contractors are all scum and can't run wires that conform to the building and electrical codes in our state.
We also don't have proper insurance or licences.

Most of us actually have just gotten out of jail and do this job for the pay because being a doctor or engineer doesn't pay enough.

Any more sweeping preconceptions about people in certain professions Skytrooper?
post #22 of 30 Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 PM

Some contracts pay better and some pay garbage. As you can imagine, low pay weeds out skilled individuals. I have a good relationship with one particular local dealer and I exclusively install their contracts. The pay is significantly better than "fulfillment" contracts or fly-by-night nationwide door knocking crews, and for the extra dollars I can slow down a bit and do a nice job. Hence my advice about where to sign up.

But it doesn't matter, you people just get off from bashing contractors. I live by the motto "High quality, Fast, and Inexpensive. Choose 2". Remember - you get what you pay for... and sat companies are offering free installations. You get what you pay for. Free installation. Think about it.

Somehow all of my customers are happy, what gives!? Am I doing contracting wrong??
post #23 of 30 Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 AM

I am sorry I offended you guys. I just had some bad luck with them.

post #24 of 30 Old 10-12-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Apology accepted.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Satellite and catv contracting are two completely different industries, and I can't speak for catv. But it doesn't really makes sense that a contractor will do a poor job but an hourly employee would. Every industry has lazy employees and good employees, it depends on the individual rather than the way he receives a paycheck. Lots of random people read what you guys say and form opinions, and due to how specific this type of message board is, it's very likely for me to run into them as part of my job. Then I get to deal with guys who have no technical knowledge tell me I must not know what I'm doing, that had an opinion about me before I even got there. I can recall the last guy who mentioned reading "all the threads" about hoppers and joeys, and he was a dick to me right from the start.
post #26 of 30 Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks for accepting my apology. I will be more careful making statements in the future. You guys seem to take great pride in your work.

post #27 of 30 Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I think most pros actually have the knowledge to do a fine job, but don't have the time to do it, by necessity.

The more effort that is put into a job, the less money they make. Catch-22.

If a customer wants more than the average effort, make it clear up front that is what is needed. And pay for the additional time. An extra hour's work might be appropriate.

post #28 of 30 Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Use Belden 9116

1694A is not intended for RF use. It's a digital video cable. Yes it will work electrically but you may have a problem getting F connectors to fit properly. And it's a waste of money for your application.

Belden 1694A - Belden 4.5 GHz Precision Coax Cable. Bare copper center conductor. Superior tinned copper shielded, Beldens flagship coax cable. Preffered coax for broadcast studios, and high-performance home theater applications. Provides large head-room for future high-bandwidth Cable TV, Satellite & HDTV.

As I stated, this is expensive cable; still scratching my head about the f-connectors being hard to install as I have had no issues with any brand being difficult to install.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-13-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

98% of the work I perform, and anything done in the past 5 years working with other companies, have not been contract. It is almost, always time and material work. The clients understand that retro wiring isn't straight forward and there can be obstacles to deal with. We always give them an estimate, and we are very close to that, but that is due to more experience than anything.

For pre-wiring, if it is on contract, then I take what time is needed to complete the job. It is sort of hard to screw up pre-wiring if you have done them for a while.
I can pre-wire a 4000 sq/ft house in one day. It all comes down to planning and having everything you need with you.

Always plan where you want your drops, box the house, drill the holes for the wire runs, place all wire at the panel location and pull to all the boxes. the more wire boxes you have, the more runs you can place and the faster you can wire a house. I usually have 4 boxes of rg6, 4 boxes of cat5e, 2 boxes of 16/4 speaker wire and 2 boxes of 16/2 speaker wire.
post #30 of 30 Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I got all my drops put in and the DirecTV installer was great. He climbed up into the attic to connect the SWIM to the junction point and everything works great.

Thanks for all the advice.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page