A Contemporary Build Master Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading this forum, and many others on AVS for a long time. We're just starting framing on a modern house in the Northwest that will include a fair amount of automation and A/V distribution, including a dedicated theater room. I'll post links to threads regarding those other topics in their respective forums.

The goal of this thread is to gather everything together from a distribution standpoint, and to document the details and obstacles of our layout in hopes that it provides some benefit for others.

The Details
- Seven zones of stereo audio distribution for WHA:
  1. Garage
  2. Office
  3. Back deck
  4. Hot tub
  5. Bonus room
  6. Master bedroom
  7. Master bathroom
Standard wiring was run for each zone; 16/4 and Cat5e through the keypad, 16/4 on to the two speaker locations.

- Two multi-channel audio zones for video viewing:
  1. 5.1 Audio in great room
  2. 7.2 Audio in theater room
Wiring is 12/4 to front left and surround locations, 12/2 run to center and RG6 along with 12/2 run to each sub location.

- Nine zones for distributed HDMI video:
  1. [8]Garage
  2. Office
  3. Great room
  4. Bedroom one
  5. Bedroom two
  6. Theater room (projector)
  7. Theater room (front display)
  8. Master bedroom
  9. Master bathroom

Additionally there is a zone in the closet adjacent to the theater for a local optical media player back feed to the rack.

Each video zone includes two RG6, two Cat6 and two Cat5e.

Additionally there are various data drops to each room, Wireless Access Points (WAPs) etc. that are run to the structured wiring panel in the garage.

So that's the basics of the layout and wiring, in the next post I'll post the equipment list and proposed functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Some of the equipment is yet to be selected, but here's the plan so far.

I have elected to go with HDMI for distribution, even though it has it's share of "issues". I think I have solutions for all of them with EDID management and all 1080P sinks.

For video distribution I'll be using a Wyrestorm MX0808-STD 8x8 HDMI Matrix. I would have preferred a HDBase-T solution for simplicity, but that was outside the budget and I need something with local HDMI outputs to send audio to the two receivers for surround processing.

From the rack to each video zone I'm using Wyrestorm EX1UTP40IR balun sets to transmit signal from 20 to 100 feet. That will also handle IR back to the matrix for routing to each source.

So that takes care of the video and multi-channel audio side of the distribution. I'm still trying to decide how to handle WHA. I've narrowed things down to either a Nuvo Concerto system or a simple multi-channel amplifier with Sonos Connects for number of unique zones of audio we want to have. I like the Sonos solution because it's scalable, but Nuvo would give us access to more media, and allow for wall controls, albeit at a higher cost.

Here are some pics of the prewire, mostly for my benefit so I know where things are once the drywall is up.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Why not use the Wyrestorm MX0808-PP? HDMI in and HDMI outs with matching HDBT outputs.

The wiring looks very good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Strictly price, that would have been my preference but I don't need HD Base-T from a distance standpoint. I figure by the time 4K is prominent hopefully display manufacturers will have embraced HD Base-T and I'll upgrade at that point.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-13-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The distance on hdbt isn't why it is popular, it's the reliability. There have been many issues with the no hdbt baluns and almost everyone uses them if they don't want to deal with call backs and returns.

I would suggest making room for it as you are only going to have headaches and a non working system. There is a reason they don't make the std unit anymore.

Grab one of these if you can http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491079/binary-hdmi-8x8-matrix-switcher-with-6-single-cat-5e-6-hdbaset-extenders-230-ft-kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the reliability benefits of HDBT, but I've used the Wyrestorm single UTP balun many times with no issues, and even the great price on those Snap matrices are close to three times my total cost for the setup I've outlined. I'm going this route (gear is already ordered and some has arrived) until I have an issue or HDBT prices come down. I agree completely though, if the money is there go with HDBT.

I'll keep you posted on how it all works once I get everything installed and configured.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just a small update; carpet has been installed and we're close to moving in. Here's a shot of what the wiring closet currently looks like.

I settled on MAs Slim5 rack, the 37U tall version. That along with my RSH shelves and some other accessories arrived today.

Hopefully I'll have some time to start installing back boxes (Chief PAC522) this weekend so I can begin filling the rack.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page