A B Automatic Speaker Switch or a better Option. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am doing a home automation system where I want audio commands from the home automation system and intercom to come not only through the whole home speakers but also my current three home theater systems speakers. The problem is that the A B Automatic Speaker Switches that I have found are freaking $50.00. I need about 30 of them.

1. Does anyone else know of anything that will work better at least on the in wall home audio speakers for each room?

2. Does anyone know of anything better for the speakers in my Home Theater Areas?

3. Does anyone know how to make them or of a cheaper place to get them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Use a WHA system with a paging / doorbell interface to avoid all the switching and handle it at a system level. AVRs, though, you're on your own.

IMO, having an intercom or voice announcements come through the theater equipment would be horribly annoying... If you need a simple doorbell announce, use a flashing doorbell chime in that zone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Why not do a phone system? Get a doorphone for the doorbell and you can page, intercom or answer the phone or doorphone from any location.
jautor likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

My problem with the whole house audio systems is that they typically do not support the volume that I like. I want to be able to rock out in any room, and if I want to page the wife of children or possibly if they want to page me It would be nice to hear them.

I have considered using the whole home audio systems and intercoms, but am actually trying to use tablets as intercoms or to control the whole home audio so that there is also a control for all of my other home automation in each room. There are a lot of moving pieses in this installation.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtrSound View Post

My problem with the whole house audio systems is that they typically do not support the volume that I like. I want to be able to rock out in any room, and if I want to page the wife of children or possibly if they want to page me It would be nice to hear them.

Many WHA systems can use external amps for a particular zone, while using the built-in amps for the rest, so you can add as much power as you want...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 7 Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 11
For your stereo / audio zones, a WHA controller, integrated or preamp, will be much easier to manage than 30 A/B switches. If you want to DIY for cheaper than $50/ea, I’d suggest a bunch of DPDT relays.

For surround zones: Unless you need your intercom / paging in glorious 9.2 surround, take the trigger output from your intercom and send to your control system. Program that to mute the receiver when the trigger goes high, and use 1 A/B switch per surround room to send intercom audio to, say, the rear speakers.

If you really want intercom through ALL your surround sound speakers, you could also send line-level intercom audio to your receiver and have the control system switch sources, but better have some preset volume levels activate, too. If you have a movie cranked to 11 you may not appreciate the doorbell at the same level.
BtrSound likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent. Thank you very much for your advice.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page